Jennifer Lopez
Como Ama Una Mujer

2.0
poor

by John Cruz USER (88 Reviews)
March 27th, 2007 | 42 replies | 10,932 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Jennifer Lopez makes a full length spanish language album and forgets to bring the flavor of the language itself. Tepid and dull and lacking any sort of spice this is one of the years most disappointing albums thus far.

Language. It plays a big part in song. Sometimes we use phrases like "musical language" to describe a style or sound, whether exotic or common. But when listening to music with vocals sung in a spoken language we understand we seldom consider language at all. Its the lyrics we listen to, vocal inflections, the emotion in the delivery. We try to discover meaning in the music through words.

So when listening to Jennifer Lopez's first all spanish language LP "Como Ama Uma Mujer" that was taken from me. You see although of hispanic heritage I understand not a lick of the spanish language or anything else remotely latin. Under these circumstances the voice becomes not something I look to for meaning or understanding, but rather it becomes something that is pure instrument, similar to listening to an operatic performer singing in Italian. Jen could be singing about cheeseburgers and washing dishes and it wouldn't matter. And this as it turns out is a good thing for someone unfamiliar with her native tongue as it helps make this lackluster recording bearable when its good, as you can just sit back and listen without having to worry about how cheesy the lyrics might or might not be. But chances are you aren't missing anything for lack of understanding, as if the lyrics are as dull, listless, and contrived as the music and performances you might even be better off deaf.

I approached this album with excitement, expecting the talented singer and dancer to go to her latin roots for some hot salsa numbers, cumbia's, some latin jazz/hip hop style hybrids, and pretty much hot rump shaking latin sounds worthy of a night spent on the dance floor. And while I understand Jen is Peurto Rican and not all latin music is the same, it would be nice to get something resembling authentic latin anything rather then this commercially driven, lite on spice collection of duds.

The best comes first as Jen kicks things off with the latin rock of "Que Hiciste" where Lopez drives the funky music forward and shows good conviction and steadiness of voice. But problems start on the the very next track as "Me Haces Falta" falls flat from the start with a thin generic rock riff that drones for the entire song and a lazy vocal turned in by Lopez, while the title track comes along next and nearly lulls you into a bored stupor with its orchestral pretensions and a melodic chorus which comes too close to the old Kenny Rogers MOR hit "She Believes In Me".

Other then the opening track the sole other highlight of the album is the spirited cumbia flavored "Te Voy A Querer", and while its nothing special it at least has some heat to it and makes you take notice. As for the rest, it is typical commercial pop/pop rock dreck disguised as something exotic and different for the fact Ms Lopez is singing in something latin and nothing more. Its almost novel that she is, as what most of these songs sound like are mediocre english language pop ballads given a twist of latin here and there and translated into spanish. Which is a shame and I wish there was more to say about this album, but to say that each song is much like the next and Lopez's "instrument" does nothing to enhance or make matters interesting is really quite enough. Jennifer, while a competent singer, does nothing new in her native tongue other then make us happy we can't understand her and pray the song finishes in a quick hurry. Furthermore on some of the more overblown tracks it seems she tries to go about convincing us she has actual vocal chops rather then the thin alto she has always possessed, overreaching and overplaying her hand at shooting for the Diva mark and missing by a Puerto Rican mile.

Its not often I consider an album and think what could have been? Especially when an album can usually be judged as good, bad, mediocre or otherwise and not given a second thought. But given J-Lo's "getting back to roots" attitude for this album you would think that meant musical roots as well. Music of the people, reflecting culture and soul and a way of life and living. The latin people in general are a spirited, colorful lot which fly under many flags, cover many races, and come from many diverse and interesting countries. For Jennifer Lopez's first spanish language album one would think she would embrace and reflect that in a more serious and heartfelt manner. But instead what we get is listless by the numbers "latin rock", dull, sleepy ballads, and overblown Diva numbers I wouldn't wish on Whitney Houston. All sung in a "look at me I can sing english lyrics in spanish" sort of way and seemingly wanting us to think the novelty of that is enough to make anyone want to listen to this pap, multilingual or not. Viva la Raza? Umm, better luck next time....

Big Country The CrossingVan Halen Fair Warning
U2 No Line on the HorizonBruce Springsteen Magic
The Smashing Pumpkins ZeitgeistBon Jovi Lost Highway
1.6
very poor

Dance Again... The Hits

March 27th 2007

From what I've heard about this, this is pretty spot on. I've never been a fan of JLo, but I always figured she'd be perfect for music like this after seeing Selena. I suppose not, though. Good review and the likes.

March 27th 2007

thank you...just got in from dinner and cleaned it up some....and yeah, i don't expect much from this kind of pop music and the fact this is generally pop is not the problem. the fact its pretty much bad pop is the problem and just makes me think "why spanish at all". and the fact she wanted to make something in spanish and did makes me think "well then why not go further with the music". lots of wasted potential here for a J-Lo spanish language albumThis Message Edited On 03.27.07

pulseczar
March 28th 2007

isn't it "una" mujer? uma doesn't make sense. other than that great work as always

^correct.

scpttrerulz
March 28th 2007

Nice review... I was actually kinda looking forward to this one ...

March 28th 2007

thanks for that heads up, pulseczar....and thanks for reading, guys

Cesar
March 28th 2007

I didn't know this CD was coming out so soon. I've heard like rumors that she might do another Spanish album not that it came out, and I'm from Puerto Rico. I guess thats how much I care.

Christina Aguilera owns JLo.This Message Edited On 03.28.07

The Jungler
March 28th 2007

Very nice review, single was decent, but the other song I heard off this was trash. I'm really not a big fan of latin pop music anyway, so I really wasn't expecting much.

March 28th 2007

Intros dont have to read like thesis statements. It's a music review for christs sake.

Oddsen
March 28th 2007

Nice to see you reviewing more again. Good job on this one

cool Oddsen thanks...

'o rly?

someone is cranky This Message Edited On 03.28.07This Message Edited On 03.28.07

March 28th 2007

Whose to say I don't think my intros suck?
Everyone on this site has got got so caught up with their writing that they dont really ever review the album.

March 28th 2007

i reviewed this album fine and i'm certainly not caught up in my writing as you can probably tell by my reviews. in fact i'm fairly plain spoken in my reviews. this review could have went one way or another, it just went this way. i think its fine i really don't give it too much thought i just let the album lead me.

anyway cheer up grumps

March 28th 2007

You've always been one of the better ones at it, but you still have moments where you sacrifice what I would call "integrity" (although thats such a loose usage...eh) for stylistic flair.

People go to places like AMG and the Rolling Stone because they get the review and little else. I'm not saying we should go there, but as a whole we should take the intellectual babbling most of the staff/approved reviewers do and tone it down three notches.This Message Edited On 03.28.07

yeah!

March 28th 2007

But we also get more space. They're pressed for it. Shouldn't we use it to some advantage for flair that they're forced to get rid of to make room for blunt reviews? Flair shouldn't make the review, but it at least makes for a more interesting read.

March 28th 2007

but most of the flair on this site sucks

Yeah, and?
mx wants to expand the site. As much as it isn't fair, the general public doesnt want to read even 700 word reviews. Most reviews by staff/approved can get to be near 900.
edited because chan made one of my points better and shorter.This Message Edited On 03.28.07

Two-Headed Boy

the general public

My band name. :cool:

Anyways, I'll stay far away from this. Superb review as always.

pulseczar
March 28th 2007

i have no problem with reading 900 word reviews... is it that hard? you'd assume a lot of people come to this website to read more in-depth reviews, even if some of them have bullpoop. i think rolling stone has way more pomp and lameness than sputnik, even with shorter reviews.