Queen
Greatest Hits

good

by sonictheplumber STAFF USER (107 Reviews)
March 24th, 2007 | 8 replies | 9,694 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Should have just been titled "Queen Compilation".

Queen and Cream make you think of a few things. For Queen, you might think of AIDS, classical sounding guitar, and We Will Rock You. For Cream, you might think of blues, long live performances, and Sunshine Of Your Love. But one thing that pops into my head when someone mentions Queen or Cream is the number of compilations they both have. If you go into a CD shop looking for Queen's 1976 release A Day At The Races, you may just find three copies of Classic Queen. Go into a store looking for Cream's Wheels Of Fire, and chances are you will find 20th Century Masters instead. So, the point is, Queen and Cream put out compilation albums every year trying to get money and all that. Especially Queen, because honestly, who's going to buy a crappy live album with Paul Rodgers? Some Bad Company fans I guess.

The greatest hits album I am reviewing is Queen's Greatest Hits. This is more for a child or a casual fan, because basically all this is is a bunch of classic rock radio staples thrown together with some underrated tunes that no one's heard of, and the words "Greatest Hits" slapped on the cover.

I know that so far, all I have been saying are bad things about the album, but really, there's nothing too bad with it. It's missing the band's biggest song ever, Bohemian Rhapsody, but that doesn't really matter. This is a fun album to listen to every once and a while, and it's got some great songs on it.

The CD begins with "We Will Rock You", a short little 2 minute song that everyone has heard. When I say everyone, I mean everyone. There's no one on this site that hasn't heard it, but I'm still going to describe it. It's basically clapping and stomping, with some singing by Freddie Mercury(he has the same birthday as me btw), and then after about a minute of this, there's an impressive and heavy solo by the one and only Brian May. This song leads into "We Are The Champions", which is also a song that everyone has heard. This is just singing, a piano, and some other little things, but I still love it.

After that, we have "Another One Bites The Dust", another overplayed song on the radio. It's a short little funky song with some cheesy lyrics. It's very catchy, and everyone has heard it before. Up next, it's the delightfully catchy "Killer Queen", that is a very beautiful song. One of the best things in this song is Brian May's excellent guitar. It has a very classical and high sound to it, especially in the short little solo. This solo is the best part of the song, all thanks to Brian May. Speaking of Brian May, he still hasn't responded to my e-mail that I sent him yet. Oh well. Probably never will.

"Somebody To Love" is a decent song, but it gets a little annoying. I still like it. Oh, but how I love what is afterwards. "Fat Bottomed Girls" is another classic rock radio staple, and it is also one of Queen's heavier songs. It's also very short and catchy. The guitar is a highlight, because instead of being high and classical in "Killer Queen", it's very low and heavy. "Bicycle Race" is another extremely catchy song. The vocals are excellent in this, especially in the chorus. Then, the funky little verse kicks in, and we learn that Freddie does not like Star Wars. =0 =0 =0

Those are just a few of the seventeen songs on this album. The very first nine songs are simply Queen classics that people hear all the time on the radio. I'm not going to complain though, because I love almost all of the first nine songs. You have to if you're just some classic rock junkie like me. Just kiddin' ya'll, I am certainly not a classic rock junkie. I do like classic rock though. Anyway, the other eight songs are underrated songs that get virtually non-existent airplay on the radio. Some of them are great songs though, like "Save Me" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye". But isn't a greatest hits album only supposed to have the hits? If the first songs stuck, the rest were thrown out, and "I Want It All", "Under Pressure", "The Show Must Go On", "Stone Cold Crazy", and "Bohemian Rhapsody" were added, then this would do what its title says. I'm actually glad they didn't do what I said they could, because the underrated songs on there are some of the greatest tracks on the album. Plus, "I Want It All" and "The Show Must Go On" are some of my least favorite Queen tracks.

Well, this a pretty good album for casual fans of Queen, like me. If you are wanting to become a die-hard fan, you should just go out and buy the 1975 so-called classic A Night At The Opera, and keep on buying other studio albums, because the compilation albums by the band are hated by most real and true Queen lovers.

Queen's Greatest Hits is a decent compilation CD, but if you want some of the lesser known stuff, get Classic Queen, because hardly any of the stuff from that album gets played on the radio. This is just the essentials. Good for introducing a little kid to rock music I suppose. Same with Led Zeppelin's Early Days and Latter Days compilations. Good for kids who want to be cool and listen to old stuff while their friends jam out to Snoop Dogg and Hinder, but not THAT great for hardcore freaks of the band.

3/5