Glassjaw
Worship and Tribute

by Lee Carlson USER (26 Reviews)
March 20th, 2007 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Glassjaw. A name everyone knows. Quite possibly the most influential band of the late 20th century. They are the leaders in the Long Island music scene. Ever since their origins in the early 1990’s they have had a huge fan base on Long Island and it they are even more popular now. The album that got that mainstream success and a lot more fans is their second full length entitled, Worship And Tribute. Released in 2002 this could be the first really great album of the new millennium. It is an instant classic and should be remembered forever for it’s hammering guitar riffs, amazing vocals, outstanding lyrics, great bass lines and an overall haunting and uneasy sound that is Worship And Tribute.

Worship And Tribute, does not sound like Glassjaw’s previous records. Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence, was more metal that anything else, and was a very heavy and emotional record. With Worship And Tribute, Glassjaw was able to put in the same emotion and mellow out the music making it enjoyable to those who can’t stand the sound of metal. While some songs such as Stuck Pig and Two Tabs Of Mescaline, we get a throwback to the earlier, heavier days of Glassjaw. But the rest of the tracks have a new feel to them. A different feeling which is alien to old Glassjaw fans, but can be easily accepted if you give it a good listen. Mu Empire is the second track of the record and one of the best. With a drum part and power chords ringing, the intro alone let’s you know what is coming, then Beck and Weinstock hit you with a blistering metal guitar riff that will snap you in two. Then Daryl Palumbo’s vocals come in, sending shivers down your spine, instantly reminding you of the old days of seeing Glassjaw play in some guys basement six years ago. Mu Empire is a catchy, and highly enjoyable song and is one of the greats.

Ape Dos Mil which is the single off the album is very odd and dark song. With a steady drum beat and some interesting guitars in the background, and with lyrics like, “It's just a tango. But it's not easy, you show. I walk around with my horns out now, but it's not easy to show,” gives you a very odd feeling, and is one of Glassjaw’s greatest songs. Very catchy, and haunting, no wonder this was the single of the record. Another slower song, but a great song none the less is [b[Must’ve Run All Day[/b] which is a very slow acoustic feeling song with just a slow drum part and very mellow and melodic guitars. This song is filled with memorable lyrics and is a very moving song that represents the new sound of Glassjaw. Radio Cambodia is the most energetic, punk oriented song on the album. It is every similar to Ry Ry’s Song off of Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence. It is very fast paced and you can close your eyes and just imagine Glassjaw playing it live and seeing the crowd moving around, and it just makes you appreciate the band that much more. This is another throwback to their old material in that it is fast paced and can be related to other songs off of their older records. Definitely one of the greatest Glassjaw songs. Two Tabs Of Mescaline is the epic of Worship And Tribute. Starting off with dual guitars of a nice D pentatonic scale, with a harmonization over that. After the intro, the vocals come in singing, “This is worship and this is tribute, crumbling, ripping and failing. Knowing you fit in...” continuing into a “breakdown” of sorts with Daryl screaming over it, back into the mellow verse and near the end it just breaks down into screaming one second, then a pause… “SAILOR SCENT!” Pause… “SAILOR SCENT!” and ending on guitar feedback and as it fades out we look back at the intensity of this album and that this is a classic. A magnificent closer for a magnificent album.

Although I recommend every track, I highly recommend:
Mu Empire
Ape Dos Mil
Must’ve Run All Day
Radio Cambodia
Two Tabs Of Mescaline

PROs
Every song is phenomenal
No filler at all
Amazing lyrics with great music to back it up.

CONs
There really isn’t any at all.

BUY THIS RECORD, YOU WON’T REGRET IT

Direct Hit! Brainless GodRVIVR Dirty Water
Jawbreaker Dear YouTitle Fight The Last Thing You Forget
Ceremony (USA-CA) RuinedWell, Hello. Summer Sessions EP
user ratings (1911)
4.3
  • yidnarc (3)
    Although this isn't a great album and it keeps getting held back by its same sounding song...

savaah (4.5)
    As of this time, Worship and Tribute is still terrific....

Eric Greenman (5)
    Glassjaw delivers one of the best and most versatile albums in Post-hardcore....

bootyhunter (5)
    New York Hardcore at its finest from Glassjaws major label debut. Paved the way for many c...

• Nick Greer EMERITUS (5)
    One of the best post-hardcore albums of all time....

March 20th 2007

I've been meaning to review this record for a long time, so here it is enjoy!

Some quick criticisms:

Make either the song title or the album bold, not EVERYTHING.

usually the band is in bold once, the album is maintained in italics, and the songs have quotes. You can do whatever style but it isn't easy on the eye when everything you mention is bolded, there is little disparity.

March 20th 2007

Allright, yeah this is my first review where I actually used bold so I didn't really realize how it would looks, thanks for the criticism.

iarescientists
March 20th 2007

This album is good, but I really prefer Everything You Wanted to Know About Silence, and I'd have to agree with IsItLuck?, you should probably get rid of the bolding.

March 20th 2007

I used to lke "EYEWTKAS" but now I just kind of like them equally.This Message Edited On 03.20.07

iarescientists
March 20th 2007

I think it really depends on what you heard first by the band that influnces what you'll like best.

March 20th 2007

Yeah that's true, I got "Silence" first but It also just depends on what mood I'm in. Both albums are great though.

The Jungler
March 20th 2007

Good album, but not a five.

StrizzMatik
March 20th 2007

One of my all-time favorite albums by possibly my favorite band ever. But as for them being the most influential of the late 20th century (80's-00's), I disagree. Those accolades goes to Faith No More... there wouldn't be a Daryl Palumbo, or a Glassjaw, without Angel Dust or The Real Thing, or even King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime. But the 'Jaw is up there for sure.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

Iluvatar
March 20th 2007

the 00's arent the 21st century, and to be honest Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is not an influential EP at all, so they were barely even on the radar in the late 90's, which is what I think you were alluding to.

March 20th 2007

Good review for the most part. As for the album, it is phenominal. The lyrics are absolutely amazing, as are the vocals and every instrument. Right now this is a very high 4.5 for me, but it will likely become a 5 if I give it more time.
My favorites are Tip your Bartender and Stuck Pig

trustxdialect
March 20th 2007

Good album, but not a five.

March 20th 2007

Awesome album, perhaps one day a five.

March 21st 2007

If you notice Glassjaw didn't get REALLY popular until they went on hiatus. So when/if they break up maybe this album will be looked as a five. I do believe that this is a five though.

March 21st 2007

what are you talking about?

Full Collapse299
March 21st 2007

I love this album. It's so diverse and musically spectacular. I can't wait for the new album.

March 21st 2007

Yeah the new album is gonna be awesome. But Daryl says he's putting Head Automatica in front of Glassjaw so we may have to wait a little. I missed them at their new york show. Which sucks a lot.

Intransit
March 21st 2007

They are going to record after HA does a new EP and tours for a bit. Soon enough kids, soon enough.

March 21st 2007

Wow, I just relaized how amazing Trailer Park Jesus is. Its probably my favorite on the album, or at least its up there.

March 21st 2007

I missed them at their new york show. Which sucks a lot.

that sucks. I went to it. It ruled so hard. no lies.