Iron Maiden
A Real Live Dead One

good

by SylentEcho USER (21 Reviews)
March 11th, 2007 | 12 replies | 7,909 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

I bought this CD, and after hearing how bad the sound quality was on this live recording, I got rid of it. The argument about this being a live recording is paltry at best. Just because a band records a live album does not mean they should release bad sound quality. Anyone who knows anything about music knows that live recording is about the band performance, recording mix, and the final mastering done in the studio. I've heard audience recordings sound better than this mess released by Maiden. To coincide with Bruce Dickinson's final tour with Iron Maiden, the band issued two live recordings, A REAL LIVE DEAD ONE, and A REAL DEAD ONE. In fact, the two "Dead One" live releases have the worst sound quality of any released live recording by any band, and this is from a band that released "Maiden Japan" and "Live After Death." The band doesn't sound as inspired as it does on its previous live collections.

Bruce's voice is absolutely shot. His faltering screech which opens "Be Quick or Be Dead" is cringe-worthy, and a taste of things to come throughout the recording. And Janick's blaspheming of Adrian's classic solos deserves his immediate execution.
Not a pleasant listening experience, no matter how "hardcore" you consider your fanaticism toward Maiden to be. It's a shame, too, because the song list on Dead One was actually interesting. It would have been nice to really "hear" Where Eagles Dare, but unfortunately it's just a bunch of noise.

If I seem too angry, I'm sorry but I was expecting something good or at least normal.

The Beatles The Beatles: Stereo USBDethklok Dethalbum II
Megadeth EndgameThe Offspring Splinter
Cirith Ungol King of the DeadNapalm Death Death by Manipulation
3.2
good

Abaddon2005
March 11th 2007

This really is too short, and it's more of a hate-ranting than a review. Should fix it up.

Intransit
March 11th 2007

Yeah, you basically blast it senselessly, and offer up no justification for rating it a 3. That coupled with a complete lack of details=negness. Fix it, and then I'll change my vote

Mikesn
March 11th 2007

This is one of the worst live albums I have ever heard.

Sepstrup
March 11th 2007

Why did you rate it a 3? That makes no sense.

wakeupdead
March 11th 2007

iron maiden has way too many live albums

Altmer
March 11th 2007

I haven't heard this, not getting it :P

Thor
March 11th 2007

Disc 1 owns Disc 2...and I wonder why...

SylentEcho
March 17th 2007

ho ho! damn.
How do I change that rating?

and yes, its too short, should I remove the review? This Message Edited On 03.17.07

metalmaniac
June 19th 2007

Well I just bought this album and it's not that bad. Just check out fear of the dark. But I have to say Bruce it's not at it's best. By the way, wich CD is the live one and wich is the dead one?

MeowMeow
June 19th 2007

You should just make it a sound-off instead tbqh.

SylentEcho
August 5th 2008

/\ I think this was my first ever review here. :P I didn't know.

ConorMichaelJoseph
November 6th 2008

Not too big on Live Albums.This is okay.