Cocteau Twins
Treasure

by Phil USER (16 Reviews)
March 10th, 2007 | 35 replies | 14,629 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album is full of gems.

The third release by the Scottish band Cocteau Twins is regarded by some as their best work. They have been an influence for bands such as that of Sigur Ros as Liz Fraser (singer) at times makes up words or have indecipherable lyrics. This can make the album seem indecipherable.

Ivo and Lorelei is a prime example of this as the lyrics are indecipherable. It has gentle guitars and the drums keep a nice, steady beat throughout the song. This is like nearly all of the songs as they use minimal effort, they never take the limelight from Liz. Her voice is very delicate, fragile and melodious. There are some lyrics which can be decipherable from those two songs.

Beatrix uses a keyboard which adds a lot to the song. Liz overlaps her vocals and this is used to the full advantage as it creates a very nice harmony to the song. The guitar plays a very small part and the drums keep the beat throughout the song. Persephone has more decipherable lyrics with her singing ‘It’s where it’s at’ throughout the song with an overlap of vocals again.

Amelia is also very nice, the guitars and drums play a more prominent role. They keep a more melodious role but Liz doesn’t sing as much as the previous songs. This adds a great atmosphere and is kept throughout the song. Aloysius is another song with indecipherable vocals, most likely due to her rich Scottish accent. The guitars and drums keep up the same melody which Liz is singing at, this adds to the atmosphere. Organs are added near the end of Cicely, this is a nice change to the mix.

Otterley is very soft; this adds a very gloomy atmosphere. Liz whispers her vocals which only boost this gloomy feel to the song. The guitars are soft and slow, the drums aren’t really heard. All of this makes for a very different, gloomy song where as the other songs on the album are upbeat, joyous and quicker. Domino, the final song, the start reminds me of a Christmas song with the upbeat and joyous vocals. It then moves to be very quiet but then when you’re prepared for a slow song the tempo changes with it suddenly becoming quicker. This continues for a while with the tempo as it will quiet then heavier and this continues for a while.

The album is full of indecipherable lyrics, this is due to Liz having a broad Scottish accent or just making up words. The guitars and drums never steal the limelight from Liz but they do make an upbeat atmosphere in most songs and never go too slowly or too quickly. The indecipherable lyrics may be off-putting but Liz’s vocal are very melodious and very appealing. This album really is a treasure.

Oh Mercy Privileged WoesJosh Pyke Chimney's Afire
Porcupine Tree MetanoiaSun Ra The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra, Vol 1
Pain Psalms of ExtinctionExpatriate In The Midst Of This

The Jungler
March 10th 2007

I actually kinda like the way this review is written, but you really need to work on your grammar. I haven't heard this, but Cocteau Twins are high on my list of bands to fall in love with, thanks for reviewing them.

paperslut
March 10th 2007

I've heard a lot about this band, but haven't got around to listening to them. I think I'll check them out now.

Zebra
March 10th 2007

Your review was descriptive enough it's just that it was fairly choppy and kind of boring. You said Liz way too much throughout the review, you mentioned her in every sentence in the last paragraph. But this is your third review and you did a decent job, you just got repetitive at times.
This is one of the greatest shoegazer albums in existance. Everything swirls together so effortlessly, the melodies are also genius. My favorite tracks are probably the first two and Donimo.

Phil
March 10th 2007

Yeah, I'll probably re-do it sometime. I just wanted to submit it. Thanks for the feed back.

Apocalyptic Raids
April 24th 2007

not a fanThis Message Edited On 10.08.07

Electric City
March 13th 2008

Though I'm not a fan of this album, Domino is ruling my life right now. It's a shame the rest of the record doesn't gel and Liz Fraser's melodies are childish to the point of annoying at times. It's ok, but not worth the praise.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins [AMDISCS]

Eliminator

2067 Comments

childishs???

Electric City
March 13th 2008

Yeah, Lorelei comes to mind right now, but there's a couple in the middle that I've thought that about.

Eliminator

fuck, album's smooth

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

SCREAMorphine
October 13th 2011

I'm surprised theres on 118 ratings of this album and especially on Sputnik, the sounds on this album are nothing but beautiful

October 13th 2011

Unbelievably good band. I've heard a few albums now and I've thoroughly enjoyed everything so far. "Alice" is my favorite song by these guys so far.

Cells
December 3rd 2011

Does anybody know if the song Alice was a single or on an album?

gd album