Van Halen

by wakeupdead USER (15 Reviews)
March 6th, 2007 | 24 replies | 12,951 views

Release Date: 1986 | Tracklist

Van Halen is:

Edward Van Halen-Guitar, keyboards
Sammy Hagar-vocals
Micheal Anthony-Bass Guitar
Alex Van Halen-Drums

HELLO BABY!! yells Sammy Hagar, the new lead singer (at the time) to the legendary hard rock band Van Halen. This would be Van Halen's first album with Sammy, and a great effort it is. Perhaps their worst album out of the first 7 albums, though. A lot of great keyboard work on this album which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does force the band to cut back on the fantastic guitar work of Edward Van Halen. Here is my opinion of 5150.

5150 is an album that I was a little hesitant to buy at first, but eventually I made the right decision. And I am so glad I bought this! The things that stand out the most are: Eddie's amazing guitar work (obviously), Eddie's keyboard work, and the vocals I found were pretty strong as well (although I prefer the David Lee Roth era).

The songs that weren't featured on the band's Live Without A Net DVD (Dreams and Inside) are my least favourite songs on the album mainly because they were a big change in Van Halen's earlier sound that I dig. Dreams being a completely keyboard powered song, and Inside being very strange. Don't get me wrong I like those songs, but the change was a little sudden, for me. This album seems like a progressive rock album to me. Although the keyboards were catchy and amazing, sometimes they just didn't cut it for me. An example of this was in Why Can't This Be Love. I personally think that the keyboard would've worked equally, or even better as a guitar riff with a little bit on the wah pedal.

The one love song that I absolutely love on here is Love Walks In, which is another keyboard powered song but is a very beautiful, slow paced number. The guitar solo is one of Eddie's slower and easier solo's, but fits the song very nicely. Very melodic and inspirational.

The lyrics aren't as good as David Lee Roth era lyrics, but are still great. This exerpt from the title track is an example of some of the greatest lyrics that I have heard on the album:

Always one more
You're never satisfied
Never one for all with you it's always one for me
So I draw the line
Meet you half the way
When you don't know what that means

Now back to the guitar. It seems like there is less distortion and less solo's on 5150, and like I said before, I blame the keyboards. I don't think the guitar work is as good on this album as opposed to Van Halen's debut album, or even any of their work before 5150. But when the guitar does show up, it is phenominal. I think the main riff on Best Of Both Worlds at the very start should've been played one more time.

My personal favourite songs on here are the hard rocker's such as Get Up, Summer Nights, the title track, and Good Enough. They are the closest sounding to the David Lee Roth era songs that Van Halen has, which are obviously the bands best work. But on Get Up I just love that guitar sound which is kind of a wah pedal sound and it almost sounds like Eddie is using a slide to play the main riff. Probably the fastest song on the album with tons of energy.

Well, that's pretty much all I can say about 5150. I hope I explained it good enough. Overall this album is a must have for all fans of the hard rock genre. My granfather doesn't like hard rock at all, and even he likes some of this album!

Recommended Tracks
Get Up
Summer Nights
Love Walks In

AC/DC Flick of the SwitchRush 2112
Killswitch Engage Killswitch Engage: RemasteredSlayer Hell Awaits
Finger Eleven Them vs. You vs. MeTriumph Classics

March 6th 2007

I think it's a pretty good review Better than some of my other ones at least :lol:

clairvoyant
March 6th 2007

not a bad review. not really a whole lot to say about this album, it is definitely a change, but still pretty good

teamsleep698
March 6th 2007

Nice review, the only thing i didnt get was that you said you absolutely loved "love walks in" yet it wasn't in the preffered tracks.

March 6th 2007

yeah i forgot sorry. I'll edit that thanks

acdc for ever
March 6th 2007

great review, and ur rite, one of their worst, but still summer nights and 5150 kick ass. plus u beat me to the review. good job

Eakflanderyof
March 6th 2007

This is a pretty good album. I like Summer Nights, Get Up, 5150, Good Enough, and Best of Both Worlds a lot. Sammy Hagar can be way to cheesy though.

Good review.

March 7th 2007

Sammy Hagar can be way to cheesy though.
Yes i agree. Thats why I like David Lee Roth better. That and the songs from Dave's era were just way better.

WarAllTheTime988
July 29th 2008

The guitar solo at the end of Dreams (especially at 4:12) is epic! Surely it isn't the same as the early stuff, but still I find this quite enjoyable!!

PickleVai17
December 9th 2009

i personally didn't think that sammy hagar was right for Van Halen, but out of all the ones Sammy did, 5150 is by far the best

WarAllTheTime988
December 9th 2009

Agreed.

TheNotrap
August 9th 2011

The die hard fans never accepted Sammy. Shame, because Sammy Hagar is a fine musician and decent frontman, doesn't have Diamond Dave's charisma, but still is a very talented musician. 5150 it's not better than the memorable 1984, however songs like Dreams and specially Why Can't This Be Love? are amazing enough to make 5150 a good record in my book.

dannyboy89
February 18th 2012

This album feels like a big cheese ball. Not that I hate it, but as a whole it feel average. I only heard about half of it.

Digging: Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

February 18th 2012

yea

helixrockerkid126
May 1st 2012

Dreams is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Inveigh

yea Dreams and Why Can't This Be Love? make this one a 3.5 on their own

album's just so deliciously 80s

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

August 16th 2012

hahah helix rocker kid rules

AngelofDeath
August 16th 2012

Probably the best Van Hagar record. Pretty decent.

Inveigh
August 16th 2012

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that helixrockerkid is a KILL alt

Version 3 of this amp sounds wicked