Herbie Hancock
Thrust

by Chris Jackson USER (177 Reviews)
March 4th, 2007 | 13 replies | 7,392 views

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

After owning Herbie Hancocks Thrust for about three months or so I’m still not sure how to classify it. Is it smooth-jazz? Elecrto-Funk? Smooth electro-funk? Space-jazz? Smooth-funk? Funky jazz? Jazzy funk? Jazz fusion? Funky fusion? Whatever it is I’ve liked it since day one, there’s just so many things to like about Hancocks 15th studio recording, Thrust.

First of all the slick production fits the music perfectly. It captures the smooth basslines, groovy drumbeats, ethereal brass instruments, and jazzy guitar lines. The sounds that come from Thrust are just so smooth and vibrant, the music captures your interest and takes you into another world. Right off the bat Mike Clarks jungle-ish drumbeats propel the laid-back opener Palm Grease. Animated guitar jingles and Herbies signature jazz piano dominate most of the song creating a chilled out, relaxing funk jam. At just over ten minutes long Palm Grease seems to go by so quick, the eclectic rhythms and melodies are just so bouncy and catchy that it’s almost impossible to ignore them.

Herbie showcases plenty of variation throughout the thirty-eight minutes of Thrust. Actual Proof shows heavy leanings towards funk as it’s powered by a slick bassline and various electric pianos and guitars. The quick paced tempo and medieval sounding electronics also benefit the song creating a mildly cheesy yet enjoyable atmosphere. Butterfly is the most jazz inspired song as it’s driven by spacey brass instruments and subtle piano chords. Hancock immediately establishes a chilled out, relaxing atmosphere and keeps it throughout the song. For those of you craving another funk-inspired tune Thrust closes with the top heavy Spank-A-Lee. Musically the song is flooding with crisp sounding laser effects and choppy drum beats giving the song an extremely electrifying feel. It’s easily the most spontaneous song off the album and Herbie adds on so many layers of effects that it sounds like something coming from an space-aged sci-fi film.

If there’s one complaint I have about Thrust it’s that it often seems like an extended jam session. While some songs have insanely catchy melodies and funky electronic effects the songs themselves don’t feature much direction. That being said Thrust isn’t meant to be a deep or musically challenging listen, it’s just an entertaining and amusing piece of work.

The Dead C Secret EarthJohn Coltrane Lush Life
Crystal Castles Crystal CastlesUlaan Khol I
Four Tet RingerHarmonia Musik von Harmonia

trustxdialect
March 4th 2007

This sounds interesting enough.

Good review, except for the fact that the last two sentences are redundant.

Zebra

I'm gonna go fix that.

smokersdieyounger

I need more Herbie Hancock

The Jungler
March 4th 2007

Nice review Zebra, as always.
This really doesn't seem to be the type of music I'd be in intrested in. I don't mind Jazz, but smooth electro-funk isn't really my thing.

ValiumMan
March 5th 2007

I love Herbie Hancok. I like how his albums are accessible and complex at the same time. This and Head Hunters are my faves.

Good review too. Very concise and you addressed all the right stuff.

Oddsen
March 5th 2007

My perants are into herbie Hancock. Nice review

MColeman
February 24th 2009

I liked most of the review. Except your last 2 sentences really do throw me off. I think this music is a challenge for anyone to play. The music isn't as straight as the average listener thinks it is. You'll hear so many fills, and extra riffs from all the guys. Truely a great album though...

clairvoyant
March 31st 2010

good review. but i agree with mcoleman. this music really is a challenging listen, especially butterfly, actual proof, and to an extent palm grease. i think this is even better than headhunters overall

Decayingmajesty

Rules

ButteryBiscuitBass

Indeed!

Decayingmajesty

Butterfly is the best

OhCarrots
September 22nd 2013

Laun, laun ago, aunimals aund trees talked to ee'ch oda, but no fire at da time. Ye see, Fox was mostest clever and he tried to dink of a way to ceate fire around da world. Un day, though, he decided to viset the Geece, te-sl, whose cry he wished to learn to mock-mock on the flock- flock goona. Dey promise to teach him if he would fly wid him. So dey contrived a way for to attach wings on Fox, but warned the 'yun savior he could never open his eyes. Whoever the geese was he iz new fire controllable tetitlenaiotlendtydy-kooke. Dat evening, fox he 'faund wata to spring fireflies his water of life, so den he could fly and mix earth with wata. He den saw a luvely 'yun lad beating on a drum, who den excited da fireflies but not him. He says "It is too cool here, I need a warmer place." As fox run along, brush 'aund water and create circle of life. Den soon everybody cum and gather around and unite as one. For da Apache nation of unga-tuta, dis was a gosend and dey soon learned to keep themselves warm and provide shelta'. Yada-Yada!

ButteryBiscuitBass