Meshuggah
I

by Dethtrasher USER (232 Reviews)
March 1st, 2007 | 81 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is a true metal masterpiece that every metal fan should know of.

People who are deep into metal must have heard of Meshuggah sometime in their life. The band that plays music just as crazy as their own band name (Meshuggah actually means ‘’crazy’’). Meshuggah has been described as a technical post-thrash metal band but other people would say that they play extreme metal. I thought first that Meshuggah was playing death metal but now I agree with the fact that they are technical thrash (in a futuristic spirit). Meshuggah was formed in Umea, Sweden somewhere in 1987 and has come a long way on their metal journey, and I would say that they march alone in the direction that they are going. I have never encountered another band that sounds familiar to Meshuggah, I have only encountered bands that has been influenced by Meshuggah but I have never discovered a band that has sound like Meshuggah’s sound. The type of music that Meshuggah is able to perform is very heavy, technical, quite chaotic and complex, and their lyrics is based on futuristic stuff, world endings, apocalypse and chaos in different shapes. Unfortunately not everyone can enjoy Meshuggah’s unique concoction of music, it has taken me several months of serious listening to get used to this band, suddenly everything took a turn for the good when I got this EP called I.

I had never heard of Meshuggah until my aunt suddenly started a family with one of the original band members. He said that he had helped to form a band called Meshuggah (which was called Metallien when he was playing in the band). I said to myself if this is a dude that you could trust or not. Maybe he could be one of those dumb*** people who are doing drugs, beating and other criminal stuff. I got a few samples from one of Meshuggah’s newest albums. It sounded very similar to death metal back then, but with time I got an album and I realized that this band was pretty darn cool and definitely unique, and later I thought that he was a cool guy. Contradictions Collapse had a slight thrash touch to it and I liked it because of that, but I became later bored by their music until I got I. A true metal master piece, an immense work of musical art if you ask me because I is a 21 minute long song! Yes, I is just one song, a very long one too, this might come a small chock to those who didn’t know that. But I is not as bad as it sounds though, I’m will go ahead and try to describe the song in detail so I can give you some information of how this track might sound like.

The track called I
The track opens with a long intro made by rattling double bass kicking and fast staccato shredding, this section is 1:33 minutes long which can be a bit tedious. When the intro ends a short section of unleashed metal madness is released, that will say: manic fast guitar shredding alongside a sharp scream plus hyper speeded drumming. Now the song starts to take shape because now you will encounter some classic chugga riffing and a quite complex drum performance. Jens Kidman sings for while and later a oriental flavoured guitar solo is played for a period of time. A new pattern has emerged and this time the riffing is somewhat more flowing and technical, a wailing guitar can be noticed behind the mighty wall of sound. Jens kicks in for a moment with his vocals before the song takes on another approach, this time the riffs are extremely heavy and they still have a classic Meshuggah sound. When the clock hits 5:40 the song reaches one of its climaxes, more incredible maniac riffing is played alongside a highly difficult drum pattern. A crazy, very crazy guitar solo follows this madness; I have never heard a solo like this before, incredible but very odd I must say, I can’t describe it in words. After a while the song structure seems to change a bit, especially the guitars because they are nothing else than fast simplistic shredding. After 7:40 minutes a slow and uncomplicated but almost stupid sounding ‘’solo’’ is ringing out into the void.

Heavy and intense staccato riffing explodes from the silence; this section has a catchy feel to it. Once again a background guitar is playing a tremolo flavoured half-solo alongside the sledge hammering rhythms. Jens sings for a while and later the song reaches another climax in my opinion. This section is extremely heavy and incredibly forceful, it commands you to head bang in any possible form that exists in the art head banging. The section is also pretty reinforced by Jens Kidman’s harsh vocals. Eventually a new pattern starts to take shape and more chugga-chugga riffs are played alongside an equally staccato sounding drum pattern. A new crazy sounding guitar solo rises, unfortunately this solo is a real turn off compared to the rest of the solos. Finally a new break from the chaos, and this time it creates a nice post-doom atmosphere, imagine a town smashed to ruins and you can see the destruction as the smoke gets clearer. A solo rings out and this time it has a strong similarity to Pantera’s type of guitar sound, also this solo has a doom/apocalyptic sound. All the instruments kicks in while the solo is still in use. Nothing happens until the new riffs line starts to make more noise, this time the riffing sounds very odd but still a bit complex. For the last time a new riff pattern is performed, a heavy one, and together with the riffs and heavy drum beats a tremolo solo echoes in the background. Eventually the solo stops and the riff line starts to fade; only some high-frequent guitar tunes are left to end this metal madness. The End

Yes, I’m guess I just as messed up in my head as you are but don’t worry, I will end this review soon. I will be honest with you, I enjoyed this single track more than the two albums I have from Meshuggah. I get bored by the albums but every time I listen to I I always feel satisfied. I can be a bit tedious at times but once you get to your favourite part then you forget the bad stuff. There were lots of riffs here that I enjoyed but the thing I was amazed by was the complex drum sections, you have to hear it to believe it because I can’t explain how the drummer executes these patterns. The vocals didn’t impressed me much, Jens Kidman has a really aggressive and harsh vocal style that reminds you of other metal singers. The bottom line is that I enjoyed it very much and I think this is the best way to go if you want to get into Meshuggah’s music. I has all the qualities and traits that this band can offer, I really is the perfect Meshuggah start. Other people within the extreme metal scene should have no major difficulties when it comes to enjoy Meshuggah’s music, but remember, this band does not suit everybody. If you see this EP and you are interesting of how Meshuggah sounds like then grab it. I hope that this review has been a good guidance and critics are welcome, thanks.

Positives
+ Superb sound quality
+ Every instrument stands out in this track
+ Even if it is 21 minutes long is doesn’t get repetitive
+ Extremely heavy
+ Complex, chaotic, technical and mechanical = Meshuggah
+ This song is actually catchy at times

Negatives
- Some parts really turn you off
- If you have listen to Meshuggah before and thought it sounded horrible, then this EP will be uninteresting to you.

This EP will be given a solid 4/5 because this is real true metal art work.

Opeth DamnationFleshcrawl Made of Flesh
Sear Lamentations of DestructionTormented Rotten Death
War (swe) We Are...Total WarCrucified Barbara Til Death Do Us Party

Angmar
March 1st 2007

Great review, i have heard of these guys and now i should check em out.

March 1st 2007

Then you have get this EP (track).

Tyler
March 1st 2007

This is probably the only thing they've done that I can listen to all the way through.

Wizard

19410 Comments

Good review, I need to check this out.

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

BludgeonySteve
March 1st 2007

So i'm assuming that this one sucks less than their other music. I still haven't heard it.

Tyler
March 1st 2007

Yeah, this album is a mix of everything they've done so it never gets stale and repetitive like most of their work.

Stalusk
March 2nd 2007

Pretty courageous move to record a song of this length (even though it could just 3 songs joined together). There are some great monents here and other parts that are just average. Looking forward to their next release.

March 2nd 2007

(even though it could just 3 songs joined together)

I actually agree with you that this could be three songs. The song has two sections where basically nothing happens. Like this: Song (break) Song (break) Song. But who cares, I think this is an awesome track.This Message Edited On 03.02.07

Stalusk
March 2nd 2007

Yeah. In a way, it reminds me a little of "The Decline" by NOFX which runs for 18 minutes & is pretty much 6-7 songs put together.

any14doomsday
March 2nd 2007

For me this is the only thing of theirs worth listening to.

Eakflanderyof
March 2nd 2007

Yea, I really don't like anything this band has ever done. It's the most uninteresting experimental metal I've ever heard.

Mikesn

Fabulous review.

I have no intention of hearing this though.

Confessed2005
July 16th 2007

I certainly have intent to listen to this. Sounds very cool, great review too.

July 16th 2007

You should, this is the only track from Meshuggah that I really enjoy.

Confessed2005
July 16th 2007

I have Destroy Erase Improve, Chaosphere and Catch Thirty-Three and I enjoy them all equally. But it can become very overwhelming at times.

ValiumMan
July 16th 2007

This album/EP is great, I have to be "in the mood" for Meshuggah though.
Good review as well.

July 16th 2007

Condradictions Collapse is my favourite full-length (yet). I have been trying to get Catch 33 but I always forget to look after it.

And I agree Valiumman, I also need to be in the right mood when I listen to Meshuggah.This Message Edited On 07.16.07

kalkal50
July 16th 2007

i've never listened to any meshuggah, but then again i havent listened to many bands.. how do you do the little emoticon with the guy banging a hammer or something against the wall?

July 17th 2007