Arcade Fire
Neon Bible

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
February 28th, 2007 | 354 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Arcade Fire follow up their debut with an album that is even more grandiose. Although the songs are excellent, the production is great and the album is very consistent, it occasionally suffers from being too big, loud and dramatic.

Even two and a half years after its release, Funeral is one hell of a debut. Certainly for The Arcade Fire, Funeral's release opened doors that the band probably never thought possible. It made fans of both David Bowie and David Byrne, got them on the front of Time Magazine, scored them numerous spots on television and even helped them gain Grammy nominations. Coldplay's Chris Martin has even called them "the greatest band in history". Two and a half years on, fans are on the edge of their seats with anticipation for the new Arcade Fire record. And so finally, everyone's favourite band from 2004 are back with their sophomore record, Neon Bible.

Following up Funeral was always going to be a daunting task. After all, Funeral often reached epic proportions, songs like "Rebellion (Lies)" or "Wake Up" being prime examples. In fact, one has to wonder how you can follow up such an album. In this case, The Arcade Fire have made the record sound even more enormous. Almost every song is drenched with reverb and sounds as big as you can possibly imagine. Funeral's strongest point, however, was always the simple fact that it was an album of great songs. So the real question, at this point, is "are the songs as good as they were on Funeral?" The simple answer is, well...yeah, they basically are.

Neon Bible, in some ways, is just the sort of sophomore record you'd expect. The band have harnessed their gift for songwriting and as a result, the album is much more consistent. The highs aren't as high as they were in Funeral and the lows are certainly not as low. A few songs do stand out, but not to the same extent. As an album, Neon Bible is arguably a grander, far more dramatic statement, which is a very good thing in this case. The songs have a similar sense of melancholy to those on Funeral and while the lyrics are not exactly optimistic ("Working for the church while your family dies") or hopeful ("Now who here among us/still believes in choice/not I"), when coupled with the musical arrangements, they have a way of bringing an uplifting warmth to the listener.

The Arcade Fire have occasionally been classified as 'baroque pop' or 'what pop would sound like in the 1800s'. The idea certainly seems to have merit here, with songs such as "Intervention" or "My Body is a Cage" that make serious use of the pipe organ as a main instrument. That's not to mention the strings that are featured on nearly every song, as well as the occasional brass instruments. That's not to say that every song takes such an approach. Lead single "Keep the Car Running" is fairly standard indie-rock song (albeit with a great deal of stringed instruments) that, placed perfectly as track 2, is a beautifully catchy and (at its core) simple song. "(Antichrist Television Blues)" is similar and with lyrics about working blue-collar jobs, is one of the best Springsteen songs that The Boss never wrote. The highlight, however, comes in the form of the on-the-road anthem "No Cars Go", an old track from the band's early self-titled EP. While it's puzzling as to why they chose to include it here, it benefits from epic production, being one of the album's biggest sounding songs and sounding far more full of life than it did in its original incarnation. Not without some small problems, however, Neon Bible's biggest failing is that every single song on the album is loud, epic and dramatic. It's a certainty that some listeners will find themselves pining for the simplicity of "Une Année Sans Lumiere" or "Neighbourhood #4 (& Kettles)". The big sound definitely wears thin when there's nothing subtle, simple or quiet to balance it out.

Neon Bible is another impressive piece of work from The Arcade Fire. It's about as good as Funeral and features some truly wonderful songs; although The Arcade Fire have certainly progressed, Neon Bible features everything that made them special in the first place, to even more epic proportions. However, when their second album is this grandiose, one has to wonder where they can go from here.

Consistent album
Fantastic songs
Extremely impressive arrangements

Too grand, epic and dramatic at times
The big sound is never balanced with anything quiet

Recommended Songs

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
  • robin EMERITUS (5)
    now who here among us still believes in choice?...

Clumpy (5)
    A vial of hope and a vial of pain. . ....

JAD (4)
    What do a pipe organ, a military choir, a full hungarian orchestra, and tons of bombast ge...

Alxander18 (5)
    I'm gonna work it out....

• RMonK (4.5)
    Join the Church of the Arcade Fire, or forever hold your peace......

Chunky97 (4.5)

i want to mort. (4.5)
    In their second full-length album Arcade Fire goes to even bigger sound, which results an ...

Ben (4)
    The Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible" keeps their sound big; however, it suffers from being TOO b...

February 28th 2007

Damn, I need this. Fantastic review.

Minor quibbles:

The Arcade Fire have. on occasion,

"are the songs as good as they were onFuneral?"

Otherwise, ace.

February 28th 2007

Great work, Aussie. Very thorough and detailed while remaining short and sweet.

March 1st 2007

Nice review.This has some great songs, but overall lacks the energy and diversity that made them great in the first place. Doesn't hold your attention as well either.

March 1st 2007

Aha, I just listened today, seems pretty good. But yea, I was planning on reviewing this as well *sigh* I guess us mere mortals will have to wait till release date then =P

Digging: Loma Prieta - Self Portrait

March 1st 2007

Fantastic review, almost my feelings exactly. I actually found that I enjoyed the awesomely semi-raw production on Funeral better, it captured the bands energy a lot more, and was just awesome. I really dig the faster version of No Cars Go though.

Two-Headed Boy

That album art is ass.

Good review. I'll probably get this, but I'm not expecting much.

Release Date: 03/06/2006

Might want to change that.This Message Edited On 03.01.07

The Jungler
March 1st 2007

This CD, while definitely not as good as Funeral, is pretty great. I pretty much agree with you.

Great review.

March 1st 2007

I would say that this is just about as good as Funeral.

March 1st 2007

Nice work, this album is very very good. But you're absolutely right about there being no soft to balance out the loud.

The Jungler
March 1st 2007

Neon Bible (the song) is just as quiet as anything on Funeral.

March 1st 2007

The chorus of "neon bible" in the title track is pretty much what I thought of all during 3rd hour today.

March 1st 2007

This album lacks the great songs of funeral, it is still a very good album but it isn't a classic as it's predessor was.

I want this bad.

Great review. Gave me an idea of what to expect.

March 1st 2007

Really nice review, i need this.

the review is right on

it is not as good as funeral

noooooo way

March 2nd 2007

They had a pretty lofty debut to beat. I wouldn't imagine this could be better (although, if they could do it once, they should be good enough to do it again...).

March 2nd 2007

Thanks Two Headed Boy and trustxdialect for pointing out the typos.

[quote=Eliminator]There are plenty of soft parts on this album. Funeral seems more dynamic because of the space left between the instruments. Neon Bible is more cluttered so it appears as if everything is loud.[/quote]

I dunno man, maybe I'm just not hearing them. I mean, if it's cluttered, then are parts of it really as soft as Funeral? "Neon Bible" is a pretty soft track, but it still isn't anywhere near as bare as "Neighborhood 4". Even if parts of it are softer, it doesn't do much to break things up because it's so thick all the time.

March 2nd 2007

I just listened to the stream at It's definitely a really good album. I'm buying it.

March 2nd 2007

great album. first one this year that ive gone out and bought before i listened to it first

Site Copyright 2005-2014