Pokemon

good

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
February 22nd, 2007 | 518 replies | 31,892 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's a Pokemon soundtrack. Obtain it.

Everyone loves childhood memories. No matter how much of a hardcore, badass, death-metal listening to guy you are now, you can look back on stuff like GI Joes, Saturday morning cartoons, and Barbie (equality in the review place!). I may have caught the craze at the tail end of it being cool for my age (I entered middle school as it got really popular, when you’re supposed to get “:mature” to fit in etc), but undoubtedly Pokemon holds that kind of place for me. Despite the fact I’m nearly 9 years older than I was when I first discovered it, I can’t help but get excited at the thought of a new Pokemon coming out. An indication of “gay” I am? Perhaps.

It could also be that Pokemon is just one of the best concepts ever made ever. Little monsters that you can capture and collect, while not exactly the most original idea, was put to perfection with Pokemon Red & Blue, and even though later releases may have done little more of value than add new Pokemon, it still has become one of the most massively successful video game franchises of all time. And, if there ever was a soundtrack that could encapsulate how awesome Pokemon is, it would be 2 B A Masta, the first real soundtrack to the animated version.

To be honest, you have to take the album with a gigantic grain of salt; it’s made for 9 year olds who really don’t listen to music (at all). It’s filled with cliché after cliché, pretty insipid lyrics (it’s a Pokemon soundtrack after all…), and the music is incredibly over-produced to add a bunch of little effects that can catch the attention of even the most ADHD child. It’s also seriously lacking the addition of any killer guitar solos, although there is a pretty sick Opeth-like riff near the end of “Double Trouble (Team Rocket).”

I’m not kidding.

Looking past that though, the soundtrack just plain rocks. Somehow it captures a lot of the magic a Disney soundtrack would encompass, eliciting feelings of nostalgia I haven’t felt since I listened to the Disney Princess Collection. Almost every song here can remind you of something you found in the game or saw in the anime (except for “Everything Changes” which is really only rung in by Anime samples of Ash exclaiming a pokemon involved- AKA it’s really stupid), and in the process all end up extremely catchy and upbeat. It has everything you’d expect out of well paid studio musicians and singers- pretty uninvolved sounding material, but damn if the bassline to “2 B A Masta” won’t be your next task to learn.

It can get pretty overwrought in the cheese department- half of these songs really do try to be touching and end up just going overboard. Songs like the previously mentioned “Everything Changes” and “You Can Do It” are really teetering on the edge of being Celine Dion levels of pretentiousness and over-doing it. It sucks, as there are some songs that (if you’ve watched the anime) can give you a large sense of emotional connection, like “The Time Has Come (Pikachu’s Goodbye),” a song that details the departure of Pikachu from Ash (Pikachu being Ash’s [the main protagonist] loyal companion and best friend- shut up, it was really sad in the show). “Misty’s Song” also details pretty well adolescent feelings of confusion; while I doubt the authors of the song wanted to depict how it is to have a crush when you’re 10, they did so pretty well.

Nonetheless, when this album is good, its fantastically awesome, in a completely dorky way. It’s not a good album taken strictly on its musical merits- its really quite generic, and the only song that really contributes something new to anything is “My Best Friends” which paved the way for adorable friendship anthems in soundtracks based on games that at their core are incredibly violent. The album is quite fun, if a bit forced- they were dealing with kids under the age of 10, to give them a reasonable reason. Then again, half of the songs can get to tedious after a minute, so its really a “hey guys check out what I’ve got on my computer!” affair than a “while we play Super Smash Bros. Melee I’m going to play 2 B A Masta, k guys?”

I don’t really care though. 2 B A Masta reminds me of Pokemon in a good way, and thus is definitely recommended to anyone else who got caught up in that whole crazy Pokemon thing.

Author's Note- My personal rating is a 3.5-4, but I mean...yeah. Figure it out.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

February 22nd 2007

Ok so I did it and stuff. Don't call me a faggot saying this isn't a real review etc -_-.

Intransit

Kidz Bop Kidz - Kidz Bop, Volume 9

Yep.

The Jungler

Have sex with me.
Seriously, this album is so good. Misty's Song alone deserves a higher rating. Good job on the review, no matter how long it took.
I just started fighting the Elite Four this afternoon in my old blue version. What a good game.

MrKite
February 22nd 2007

The Pokemon games kick ass.
I knew it was you who wrote this when I saw it. Great job.

Cravinov13

I grew up with this CD... :D

Cesar
February 22nd 2007

Pokemon is the best game series EVER. Even betgter than Zelda and Final Fantasy. I son't know if better than Mrio, but around the same league.

February 22nd 2007

I remember my sister getting this around the time it first came out. Catchy and all, but not something I'd want to give another spin in the near future.
Shortly after this was released, I had that paradigm shift where Pokemon transformed from an oddly charming and quirky video game (I admit to having played the original on the GameBoy for a while and enjoying it while it lasted) and TV show, to, "Okay, I fucking get it! God I hate cute..."
Personally, I think the end of it for me was when I realized that the developers thought it was a good idea to create a new monster that was, let's be honest, a god damn pink dog in a dress. At that point, Pokemon had jumped the shark in my mind.
Of course, given that this is Pokemon we're talking about, the shark in question more than likely was piebald, had antennae and wings, and its basic attack was throwing up pieces of Captain Quinn all over its opponent.

Isola

Sadly, I can almost name all of the pokémons :/

February 22nd 2007

god damn pink dog in a dress.

Snubble was adorable!

Iai
February 22nd 2007

So yeah....I actually own this.

The Jungler
February 22nd 2007

tbh I stopped caring when they started axing the old pokemon.
I don't have any games past silver.

February 22nd 2007

Iai you're a poopymouth. It's not a 1.5, thats resed for Totally Pokemon when the soundtracks started getting really ridiculous.

Snubble was adorable!

I'm sorry dude but Dr. McNinja is the absolute limit of my suspension of disbelief. After that...
This is how much pure cocaine I would need to deal with that dog and his eye-piercingly pink dress.

Angmar

samez Jungler, kickass review btwThis Message Edited On 02.22.07

ToWhatEnd
February 22nd 2007

Pokemon was way hXc back in the day. Red & Blue Pokemon and a good old game boy on a road trip? You betcha! I stopped playing after Yellow.

Bfhurricane
February 22nd 2007

lol pokemon. someone actually had the balls to write a pokemon soundtrack review, i like this

February 22nd 2007

Red & Blue Pokemon and a good old game boy on a road trip? You betcha!

Amen. I mean, the original game was about a Japanese schoolboy running around the wilderness engaging in the slave trade of what appeared to be sentient monsters with awesome superpowers, and training said enslaved monsters to beat the living fuck out of each other for money. And you did it all by cramming them into funky little balls.

That was just fucked up enough to work and it did. Quite beautifully, really.This Message Edited On 02.22.07

MrKite

Hahaha^.
Also, how come fuck didn't get blanked out?

Secret ninja powers.*

*VB code

February 22nd 2007

I respectfully ask for you guys not to curse in my pokemon review =/.