Dire Straits
Making Movies

by The Door Mouse USER (29 Reviews)
February 21st, 2007 | 44 replies | 2,998 views

Release Date: 1980 | Tracklist

The Dire Straits are one of the most unsung bands that I can recall. A reason why they didn’t completely sky rocket in popularity is that they were known in the 1980’s and at that time the cool, new punk movement was consuming the world like a turkey dinner. Despite those disadvantages these guys should have been on top of the charts. Making Movies was one of their bigger albums holding many hits. This album fuses very Latin rhythmic guitar and love based lyrics.

With David Knopfler not in the band anymore this gave Mark Knopfler a chance to show off is jazzier sounding guitar. You cannot go through a song without tapping your toe from all of the rhythm flowing out of his guitar like a rivulet. Romeo and Juliet is a prime example. It starts with beautiful finger picking guitar and nice, soft vocals from Knopfler. Then comes one of the best choruses I’ve ever heard. It is an explosion of love and heavier strumming on the guitar making the song truly inspirational. Much like Romeo and Juliet, the follow up Skateaway makes it nearly impossible not to sing along with it while Knopfler comes up with very jazzy licks on his guitar. It has it usual inspirational build up with some jazzy drums and piano in the background of this song that can easily bring goose bumps up your arm. Before when I said that you couldn’t go through a song without tapping your toe, I lied. Les Boys is one big buzz kill. It is extremely repetitive and is just really moronic as the song is just spewing with an ugly redneck, bluegrass sound. I wouldn’t be surprised if they through in a washboard and an empty jug for someone to blow into. It is a very sad way to end the album.

Not only is this band extremely underrated but so is Mark Knopfler as a guitarist. If you went up to any adolescent and asked them if they knew who Mark Knopfler is, very few of them could answer. His true guitar genius comes through Expresso Love. He uses very creative guitar, thought there are power chords in the beginning, this song still show a lot of creativity. Solid Rock is where he gets more of a hard rocker rather than the lovely sounds that he makes in the other songs as it features a distinctive rockabilly sound. He does use power chords but this is still a toe-tapping song. Romeo and Juliet is another prime example of Knopfler’s genius. It starts with graceful finger picking arpeggios for a while and then the chorus punches you in the face. That exiting punch is something that shows greatly on this album. Each song seems to have a mellow verse which crescendos to an exploding chorus leaving musical debris all over. This stars from the beginning of the album with Tunnel of Love. It starts off innocent enough with carnival noises then it jump into an exiting verse whose intensity doesn’t stop. The absolute force makes this album spectacular.

Listening to this I came across lots of piano. Sometimes it is in the background or it could be the main instrument like in Hand In Hand. This song includes beautiful piano accompanying the guitar as they swirl through the lovely ballad. The piano is just heavy chords after heavy chords, which builds up the song to new heights. The rest of the album the piano is doing background chords and amateur stuff. It’s a great addition to the album but I don’t know if it is completely necessary.

The biggest theme that I discovered in the album is simply ‘Love’. This is found easily in the lyrics. For example in Hand In Hand:

”If I been hard on you I never chose to be
I never wanted no one else
I tried my best to be somebody you’d be close to
Hand in hand like lovers are supposed to”

And also found in Romeo and Juliet:

”Juliet when we made love you used to cry
You said I love you like the stars above Ill love you till I die
There’s a place for us you know the movie song
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong Juliet?”

Love shows itself in every track. Just by looking at the track list you can tell. This can affect you in different way. This might get boring with just a love song after another but it can also be good for the fact that this is gushing with thoughtful emotion rather than the pointless lyrics that we hear way too much in today’s music.

This album is purely enjoyable on account of Knopfler’s graceful yet jazzy guitar beautiful lyrics and a forceful feel. Due to its timeframe, this is one of the most unsung albums.

Pros
Forcefulness
Beautiful lyrics
Lots of Piano

Cons
Les Boys
Love song after Love song may not appeal to all.

Recommended Tracks

Explosions in the Sky All of a Sudden, I Miss EveryoneSpoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Ghostface Killah IronmanDream Theater Train of Thought
Mark Stebbing (3.5)

2092 Comments

This was one of the hardes reviews I've done

February 21st 2007

I'm pretty sure you have no clue what you're talking about here.

February 21st 2007

This review is okay I guess. You get your points across but the manner in which you do so is pretty bad. Your grammar is very, very awkward and hard to understand in a lot of places. How old are you?

14 and yes I suck at grammar

February 21st 2007

Well at least you can use the excuse of being young.

February 21st 2007

[quote=Zepdude7]In the early 80's there was a punk movement and the Dire Straits wern't the ideal type of music. What's not to get?[/quote] The punk scene during the 80s had nothing to do with the Dire Straits lack of success.

Intransit

[quote=zepdude]
Punk was never popular enough for anyone to not like Dire Straits because of it. You seem to be unaware of the fact that punk was largely an underground thing and there was certainly no radioplay, especially because the 80's is when hardcore punk came into style.

Not to mention, I highly doubt many punk fans back then would be even slightly turned on to Dire Straits

2092 Comments

I think if the Dire Straits were more known in the early 70s than they would be more popular is basically is what I'm saying

Thats what I'm trying to say.This Message Edited On 02.21.07

February 21st 2007

They didn't even form until 1977.

Iluvatar
February 21st 2007

Dire Straits didnt get incredibly popular because they just weren't as accessible as other rock bands at the time. They were still well known, just not to a huge extent.

I guess you're right just disregard that or something

I guess you're right just disregard that or something

February 21st 2007

Every single descriptive word you used was entirely wrong. If the album sounded the way you described it I would hate it. Give your reviews to someone who is a better writer before submitting them so they can proofread them.

Like what?

Here's just a sample...

This album fuses very Latin rhythmic guitar and love based lyrics.

the rhythm flowing out of his guitar like a rivulet

as it features a distinctive rockabilly sound

1. Thats not descriptive to the music
2. Ok that might have been a strech
3. I don't see anything wrong with it
4. Every song with the exeption of Les Boys
5. That song does sound very bluegrass
6. Same thing as 4
7. Again I don't see how that is inaccurate

February 21st 2007

If you aren't willing to take people's advice, you will never improve.

February 21st 2007

Just improve your grammar and I'll be happy.

Iai
February 21st 2007

Dire Straits WERE hugely popular. Brothers In Arms basically kick-started the CD age. Wasn't it the first album to sell a million CDs or something?