Novembre
Materia

by Foodforthegods USER (35 Reviews)
February 11th, 2007 | 33 replies | 9,446 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Visit http://www.myspace.com/novembre1 for some samples

Like anybody who knows Novembre, I discovered them by searching similar band to Opeth. Yes, they have a lot of similarities but THEY'RE NOT A CLONE. In fact their progressive side and they their use of the acoustic/clean guitar is their only big similarities.

Materia is the first full album I've heard from them. And I must admit I was surprised by the quality of this product. Novembre is not the kind of band you can get tired of. Their music is influenced by so many style (Progressive, Death metal, Doom metal, atmospherical music, folk, pop, rock, etc). This album is not including a lot of death metal part. In Fact, it's a melodic prog album.

Verne opened the album with this amazing voice that is so one of a kind. The melodies are driving this song like almost all of the songs. The only thing I didn't like about this album is that some parts seems to have been forced. I Mean the music stops and fade then they start playing something else. It's like a cut/paste thing.

Memoria stoica/Vetro and Aquamarine start basicaly in the same way. Clean guitar with awesome melody. The clean guitar is used in a good way and the tones are rich. They also explore differend kinds of effect and tones so the overall sound never gets boring.

Reason follows and it's probably one of the best song I've heard. The acoustic guitar parts are so amazing, The harmony singing is well done and create an unique kind of vibe. I personnaly thing that this is one of the strongest part of this band. Songs like Aquamarine and The Promise are so well sing that you can feel all of the emotion they've put in those songs.

This album is not a musical skill show-off. I mean they're not playing 32nd notes at 320 bpm and insane double bass. They're just puting some of the best music they can write. They exeperiment a lot and this is a strong point. The promise intro with the synth shows you how to insert weird sound into the best sounding music ever. I like the contrast they've use in Jules with the double bass over clean guitar. It's awesome.

Some songs have harder part. The intro of Comedia is easily the hardest part of the record with the Materia intro. In fact the death metal screaming is not used very often. They seems to use it like a weapon. The ending of Aquamarine and Materia is the best exemple.

I Also have to give them credit for singing in two language. Mainly they sing in english but they incorpored their italian roots in some part.

Highlights:
Reason
Aquamarine
Jules
The Promise
Comedia

Pros:
Awesome melody
Fantastic vibe
Progressive

Cons:
Some parts seems to be forced.

Dave Matthews Band Away From The WorldU2 360° at the Rose Bowl
Dave Matthews Band Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux KingNeal Morse Testimony
Dimension Zero Silent Night FeverNovembre The Blue

Confessed2005
February 11th 2007

This is more of a sound off IMO.

If they sound like Opeth then I should try and get some of their material.

TheMisterBungle
February 11th 2007

Oh my god, that's french for November!
French class pays off after all...

:lol:

2092 Comments

Your review wasn't that good. It contained way too much opinion and not enough detail. Saying 'that part is so awesome' doesn't describe the album.

February 11th 2007

It contained way too much opinion

Oh shut up.

Intransit
February 11th 2007

[quote=Saying 'that part is so awesome' doesn't describe the album.[/quote]
Jeeze irony overload

Oh shut up.

Am I wrong chan?

February 11th 2007

Saying a review has "too much opinion" is stupid because a review is all opinion. Besides, it's not like the guy was calling this the best album of all time or that the singer has the best voice ever. He made no outlandish claims. Sure, he used adjectives that aren't descriptive, like "amazing," but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad review.

An example of too much opinion is something like: This is the best album ever, written by the best band ever. The singer has the greatest voice ever.

Abaddon2005
February 11th 2007

Doesn't have to be, when you simply say what is going on within a song in an objective manner, it's still informative but you're not giving your opinion.

2092 Comments

A reviews isn't supposed to be all opinion. It should be more description than opinion.

Doppelganger
February 11th 2007

I'll have to agree with Chan here.

EDIT: Yay! I'm glad someone finally reviewed this. I'm interested in hearing this band.This Message Edited On 02.11.07

Neoteric
February 13th 2007

Zepdude stfu.

A review is an opinion, it isn't that hard to understand.

UNDERAGE
March 23rd 2007

Very decent. I enjoy their melodies and the way their songs flow. I also respect them for incorporating their native language into their music.

kalkal50
June 2nd 2007

It's actually an italian band, Novembre is spelt the same for both French and Italian.

FR33L0RD
June 15th 2007

Interesting Band
Great Melodies
Not Heavy enough but still enjoyable

gagnonov
June 18th 2007

best band ever

FrequencyBandit
July 11th 2007

Unfortunately, this band gets fallen into the Opeth trap. But when you actually listen to them, they really don't sound like Opeth all that much. They have a very distinct sound. This album really is a gem.

However, they are absolutely terrible live. Shame.

Ominous Inane
September 4th 2007

I bought this yesterday, it's quite perfect in my opinion, If you like bands such as Empyrium, Agalloch, Daylight Dies, Opeth, and Katatonia I suggest you check these guys out.

Pebster49
February 19th 2008

In the opening of "Geppetto" it keeps waking me up when im trying to sleep with these guys on my ipod. Then I freak out!

Burn2Burn
June 5th 2008

I still need more time to analyze this cd, but thus far, it's a solid 4, with easy potential for a 4.5

Jules and Comedia are my fav's so far.

combustion07