Review Summary: Delta Goodrem is an angel. Born November 9th 1984. (a month and 2 days after me) this Australian singer-songwriter, pianist and actress will dazzle you with her innocence and a vocal delivery you won't believe. Mistaken Identity was her present to us mort
I stumbled on Delta with her "Lost Without You" single. She sucked me in like quicksand, the honesty she portrays in her voice and look got my interest and it grew into a relationship between me and her beautiful music. I found out about the second album when I got back from the army (for which I volunteered a year early) browsing the net. I have the Innocent Eyes album and I wanted to get my hands on Mistaken Identity but it’s not available in my country, not commercial enough :(
Mistaken Identity review:
1. Out Of The Blue = The first single starts of like a gentle breeze and then builds up on the tempo. You feel a plunge when she says "Out of the blue", like somebody unplugged the sync, her vocals start rushing like bubbly water! She is secretive as to who the person generating energy and uncontrollable emotions is... The video is unusual though, everything sets on fire! A good song, but it's just a cherry toping the great sweet surprise that is this album! (26)
2. The Analyst = Great piano kick start draws attention! It’s about analyzing, going back in time, something in the human nature that is a pattern for most people, the sceptic in us. I like the line:
"Can you be sure we haven't met see the eyes they don't forget, they wander through the passage-ways that tease a restless mind".
A wise in-lighting song that creates enchantment with the mystery of it, voices whispered. We can’t resist putting everything in question, what is, and why is. Kind of a wake up song, she sings of her self in the third person. (44)
3. Mistaken Identity = This is about Delta not coming to peace with the changes her cancer brought. I find it appealing ‘cause I've had a similar experience. The part pin pointing the message is the stanza:
"The sun likes to rise and the moon likes to fall
And that's kind like my life
Now I've played the role of the nice girl next door
Who gets cut like a knife!
Now I'm not looking for apology eyes,
And I don't want to spend a night on a bed of beautiful lies
Erase and rewind leave that sick girl behind,
And fast forward, fast forward"
Saying she’s aware of her condition, but she won’t let it define the way she carries on about herself, don't give me those looks, don't make me feel that way, that’s not me, don't mistake us! This song certainly helped me coming home from the operation and facing the family more bravely! Nice one Delta! (26)
4. Sanctuary = Also cancer related, the song is about finding some stability in a world a new harsh reality made a mess of, there is someone with all the strength we need and a warm caring heart that understands and gives comfort. An ok song. (18)
5. A Little Too Late = Now this is refreshing! Sort of juvenile but the topic of such fine feelings and Deltas innocent juicy voice gives the song a premise that is adorable and incredibly true! It stands off from the other songs, its light and uplifting like it was taken from the Innocent Eyes album. I don’t know if there was a video, but I found out it was a single. (42)
6. Be Strong = This starts off breezy like Out Of The Blue but goes on more interesting. It creeps into you as she starts to get more intense with the verses. It's a tribute to anyone who's had it rough, anyone who's been broken and thought of giving up. Getting up after a blow is not easy but it evokes a change in the way we see things, we get up more prepared and face difficulties with strength we renewed from the experience. Gets a strong point across. (39)
7. Last Night On Earth = Matters of the heart. The piano trade mark at the beginning, but as the song progresses Delta steers an interesting course! I see a whole movie listening to this song and it’s such a great love story. Big words like:
"I'm gonna love you like it's the last night on EARTH", and
"Let’s knock down the walls of IMMORTALITY" give this song an edge that’s overstepping all worldly limitations, like time, space, and mater. Love is the prevailing power! (53)
8. Almost Here (Ft. Brian McFadden) = Delta in a duet!? Ain’t that somethin’. I was intoxicated with this song by my mum. Every time the video came on, she would pump up the volume, how could I miss it? I feel tingles when Deltas vocals come in, it’s the high point of the song, she comes in like an angel and saves this song. They make a good couple and I guess they were just that. The song leaves a great memory to look back on a relationship. (31)
9. Miscommunication = Ouuuhh… What a great vibe!! I like to think this song is part two for the one before, explaining the cause to the end of a love affair. It's definitely about a relationship going sour. Everybody can relate to this song, miscommunication is a bump you eventually hit on the road. Her ouuhhing at the end of the song gives me goose-pumps. It’s cool! (47)
10. Electric Storm = This comes as an explosion! I mean WOW! What a knocker this track turned out to be! Such power in her voice! The Electric Storm is a turbulent relationship. Fantastic lyrics and the way Delta delivers her vocals over a great piano layer strike like lightening! The song carries a strong meaningful message of heartache. Everything in this song fits and makes sense, its perfect! (56)
11. Extraordinary Day = This song is so amazing! I fear that putting it into words will take away the beauty of it! It takes over me with a haunting feeling of regret, deep sadness and a sent of death. It’s my favorite track because she’s pouring out her soul, July the 8th is when Delta found out about her cancer and started facing it. I was surprised at how well she stitched her emotions into words and with how much pain this song is drenched with. I’ve been in a life threatening situation so I can identify...
"...And I feel this isolated".
The sincerity of it gets you, you can feel the emotions build up, and tears come as the song progresses... Truth is best! I will love this song forever! (66)
12. Fragile = This song is a prime example of the piano's ability to deliver the most sensitive Hyman emotion - vulnerability. The vocal is charming and lovable, it just gets you in the right place. Eyes are the doors to the soul and Delta is open doors about feeling fragile, feeling alone, feeling not that strong, feeling vulnerable. I never get tired of this song. (56)
13. Disorientated = Delta has such an irresistibly cute vocal here that it wins you over immediately! She manages to give diversity to every song, and she put a great twist on this one! It makes me get up, jump and spin around the room with arms wide open, makes me feel good about being disorientated which I am most of the time! We weren’t all born with a map of what to do and be in life so it’s ok to be disorientated, being young is going for us! Everything comes in its time. (48)
14. You Are My Rock = Deltas thank you song to her brother for being there in moments of weakness. The piano does justice to the song. You get the drift of what’s it like to be in her shoes, and how much hawing an understanding, helpful brother means. The rock symbolizing the stability he brought. A cruel, sharp ending though: "We all need someone until we die". (23)
15. Nobody Listened = Girl’s gone wild! The song is right in your face about the lows of her cancer experience! I like it when she screams! The piano gallops around her voice and the whole song gives you a hot-cold exposure! It's a sister song to "Extraordinary Day" topics wise, but it cuts both ways. You'll get the message loud and clear, and once the song is over you can breathe again. (40)
I found three tracks from Delta "Lost For Words", "Never Fades Away" and "Love", which are not from the first, or the second album. There’s also a live version of the song "Together We Are One" which she performed at the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony, she penned it with Brian McFadden and Guy Chambers. All GREAT songs!
Lost For Words = Starts dreamy, the piano kicks in gently and Delta just takes it away like a musical magician. What can I say, I’m lost for words here I really like this song very much "Life is such a wonderful thing, you just never know what life can bring" as Delta says. I imagine everybody close to me being in my audience as I join Delta on the lyrics. Thankfully they are only there in my imagination, my voice is of course deeper than Deltas so… Enough said ;) (58)
Never Fades Away = This girl sleeps on the piano, and when she wakes up she plays, very beautifully I might say. Arrangement of a Delta song, stereotypical piano. "Love is like a song it never fades away". She wanted to say something powerful but that just doesn’t cut it for me. The song has the makings of a power ballad. Her voice goes high and low and than fades away as the song comes to an end. (32)
Love = Dough. It’s about love, love for your family which is always there ("while boys come and go"). It’s a nice song, childish, uplifting. Delta sang this at 14 so no wonder it ends with "What is love…" I think of my little sister and how much I love her, Dunja here’s thinking of you ;) (35)
Together We Are One = Deltas come a long way! This is a powerful song! She penned some great verses here:
"Find your guiding inspiration in a place where dreams are made
With a lifetime’s preparation, it’s no time to be afraid,
Put our differences behind us while we’re shining like the sun,
See what we’ve all become, together we are one". The crowd is singing with her on a live version of this song, if only I was there to cheer for her… A standing ovation for this one Delta! (39)
The numbers in brackets are winamp’s count of how many times I played the song. It’s within three weeks from when I got the album.
I hope I didn’t over do it. It’s just hard to say less when there is so much about her worth mentioning. Maybe I get her so much because I’m just a month older than her.
Thanks for the time of day.
Enjoy music, it makes life more beautiful!