Weird Al Yankovic
Off the Deep End

by wakeupdead USER (15 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2007 | 10 replies | 7,137 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Some Of Weird Al's best work and recommended to everyone who enjoys comedy parodies.

Weird Al is undoubtedly the best parody writer in the history of mankind! The cover album photo a is a very humorous parody of Nirvana's "Nevermind" album with Al Yankovic Swimming naked and chasing a donut, which is about the funniest album art I've ever seen. But, I think that some of the songs that Al wrote wasn't very good at all. The songs I usually only listen to are the parodies, like the classic Smells Like Nirvana which is quite obviously a parody of Nirvana'a Smells Like Teen Spirit, even if you've never heard the song. In my opinion, Smells Like Nirvana along with the parody of The Right Stuff entitled The White Stuff which is a song about the middle of an Oreo are the best songs on the album. Every time I hear the lyric:

"I love that White Stuff, baby....In the middle of an oreo...."

...I cant help but laugh my ass off! Also this lyric from Smells Like Nirvana which I cant help but laugh really hard at:

"It's hard to bargle nawdle zouss???with all these marbles in my mouth"

...which makes fun of Kurt Cobain's singing skills and how hard it is to understand what the hell he is singing about (as does the rest of that song).

The music of this album is some of the most varied genres on one album that you'll ever hear. From hard rock, to pop, to rap/hip-hop, and even polka! This album has it all. Another funny song that I quite enjoy is the second track, which is entitled Trigger Happy which is pretty much about shooting people and asking questions later, which sounds like a song The Beach Boys could've done. It isn't a parody of The Beach Boys, or at least the credits don't say so.

Another great one here would be When I Was Your Age, an ode to the adults that always use that phrase to get kids to stop their complaining. The lyrics are genius, in my opinion. Here is a sample:

"Well no-one ever drove me to school at 90 degrees below, had to walk butt naked through 40 miles of snow!"

The song I Can't Watch This, a parody of MC Hammer's Can't Touch This, is about how much crap is on TV these days. This is one of the only rap/hip-hop song I can take because of the funny lyrics.

Polka Your Eyes Out is actually a giant cover song of quite a few songs of that time including Metallica's Enter Sandman, Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood, and Warrant's Cherry Pie entirely in the style of Polka which makes it all a part of the great humour. The funniest lyric in this song is:

"Oh I don't want anybody else, when I think about you I touch myself"

...which a part of the album where I have to shush everyone so I can hear the one of the funniest parts of Off The Deep End.

Some of the not so good tracks on here include I was Only Kidding and Taco Grande which, to me, are just boring and not very funny. The lyrics sound like something that Al just threw together to put on the album, AKA filler. Sure, Al's voice is very funny sounding at times in these songs, but the lyrics.....not so much.

And if you thought that You Don't Love Me Anymore was the last track (which is a song about Al finding out that his girlfriend doesn't love him anymore because she is trying to kill him) you are wrong. There is a 12th track to Off The Deep End which is about 8 seconds in length, and despite being a filler track, is quite hilarious.

Everytime I pop in this excellent Weird Al comedy album I am cheered right up, even when in the most depressed of moods. It is my favourite comedy album that I own, and if you like to laugh then I recommend this album.

Recommended Songs

AC/DC Flick of the SwitchRush 2112
Killswitch Engage Killswitch Engage: RemasteredSlayer Hell Awaits
Finger Eleven Them vs. You vs. MeTriumph Classics
Scott M. Baldwin (4)
This album may as well be titled "Better than the originals"...

February 2nd 2007

My longest review I think lol. I cant believe no-one reviewed this yet! cool, love this albumThis Message Edited On 02.02.07

Umm....comments are appreciated. And votes too :thumb:

MassiveAttack
February 2nd 2007

Great songs, but they can get a bit repetitive. Nice review btw

February 2nd 2007

This review really isn't good at all.

Also Weird Al sucks huge donkey balls.

Nostradamus

only good weird al song is amish paradise

The Jungler

only good weird al song is amish paradise
this

lunchforthesky
February 2nd 2007

There isn't enough spare time in my life to listen to stupid parody music.This Message Edited On 02.02.07

superfascist
February 2nd 2007

Your writing needs some work. Some things you wrote weren't very clear, such as "the classic Smells Like Nirvana which is quite obviously a parody of Nirvana'a Smells Like Teen Spirit, even if you've never heard the song." If you've never heard the song, how can it "quite obviously" be a parody? Also, you go into depth about what's good here, but when you move on to the negative points you don't describe things as well. Phrases like, "Some of the not so good tracks" aren't very helpful. You should have someone read over your work for you before you submit it.

Something you did do fairly decent, however, was hit on the fact that this is a comedy album, and with this album being such, you emphasized that point fairly well.

February 3rd 2007

Yeah, i didnt spend too much time on this review so it isnt that high of quality. I'll probably make it better later. Thanks for the feedback btw :thumb: Constructive critisism is always appreciated.

americanmusicmachine
September 28th 2011

well i didn't know there existed people in this world who don't like weird al.