The Shins
Wincing the Night Away

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2007 | 64 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Shins best album to date, but still nothing to write home about.

I never quite understood the hype surrounding The Shins. Besides the band’s mega-hit (as far as “indie” goes) New Slang, nothing about them really caught my ear, so when the day hit and I had to decide whether or not I wanted to go out and purchase the album, I decided I might as well, seeing as how I’d just acquired my driver’s license and the slightest yearning for an item is a good enough excuse for any new driver to put that license to all it’s worth.

But the Shins allure…what is it exactly? Is it there ability to take the eerie atmosphere of indie and chop it up into catchy pieces digestible for someone who’s never been near an indie album in their life? Is it this ability to bridge the gap between the un-groomed hipster and the soccer mom that makes them so widely adored? That’s certainly the best I can come up with.

The main issue with the past two releases by the band has been their inability to differ in sound, and with the album’s opener “Sleeping Lessons” it seems that the band may fall into their own trap again. Opening the album with the voice distortion effect that James Mercer loves so well and a dream-like effect accompanying him, it’s really quite disappointing, realizing that you could’ve just listened to one of their previous albums. Oddly enough, as it seems for The Shins, everything suddenly changes mid-song and the song becomes energetic. It may be a bit clichéd by now, going from “soft to loud”, but coming from the Shins, it’s refreshing and exciting.

However, everything on the album starts to sound similar to each other and not much is really note-worthy. Though the songs are a bit different than those released on Oh, Inverted World or Chutes Too Narrow all songs on the new album do sound quite similar to one another.

This all changes when “Sea Legs” comes on. It’s a departure from the rest of the album and is truly an indie-pop gem. Bassist Dave Hernandez finally gets a chance to come alive, something that’s rarely happened before for the band. Hernandez and drummer Jesse Sandoval work together perfectly to create a terrific little groove also complemented quite well by an acoustic guitar, and not quite as well by some other ambiences caused by the synth. However, “Sea Legs” is certainly one of the top three songs on the album, if not the best.

The other two are the back-to-back combo of “Black Wave” and “Split Needles”. “Black Waves” is a beautifully eerie acoustic song with some perfectly placed ambiences to set a dark and depressive mood, and as the song fades out, yet another effect is placed on Mercer’s voice to cause him to sound as if he is voice is fading as well, though it really distracts from the song and is quite annoying. On “Split Needles” the rhythm section puts on yet another spectacular performance, blending together perfectly with an arpeggio riff it all sets up a wonderful musical performance, until midway through the song, an ill-conceived keyboard solo takes charge and becomes a major flaw, in an otherwise, perfect song.

That’s really the major flaw with most of The Shins work. When they try to get too complicated, they end up ruining great songs. They’re truly at their best when they just keep it simple with the essentials of drum, bass, and guitar and they don’t try to get too experimental. They have grown quite a bit on this record, creating their best so far, however they are still not worthy of the excessive praise they get from most of the media. If for their next effort, they keep up the work with those steady rhythm section grooves and stay away from excessive amounts of synth, then perhaps someday they’ll be worthy of the praise they receive, but until then, I’ll still be wondering where it all comes from.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe
akachanyaki (3)
Choked by expectations, The Shins wince from coming of age...

Michael Schmitt (4.5)
Wincing the Night Away sheds light on The Shins incorporating a new sound into their peppy modus ope...

Iai
January 23rd 2007

Sounds about right, although my main issue with this album is that none of the songs are great - they're all merely 'good', which in an odd way makes it a little too samey and inaccessible. Like you say, very good album, but nothing to write home about. Which is a shame - I definitely feel that these guys could be great.

Two-Headed Boy
January 23rd 2007

I'll probably end up buying this, but this review was mad helpful. Good work.

The Jungler
January 23rd 2007

Good work, you described the Shins' sound extremely well, but I still haven't heard a full Shins CD, so I don't know whether to agree with you about their real flaws.
I like the single and many of their other songs though, so who knows.

January 23rd 2007

Yeah good review. The horrible thing about reviewing an album where the songs are really similar is that you can't go into too much detail without repeating yourself a lot. Good work.

iarescientists
January 23rd 2007

Thanks, this was my first attmept to review a new release, so I wasn't really sure about it, seeing as how I've never listened to an album and reviewed it in the same day, but seeing as how I've got my eye on a couple of other upcoming releases my confidence has just been boosted.

trustxdialect
January 23rd 2007

I was hoping someone would do this.

I saw Oh, Inverted World for $10 at Virgin Megastore, so I was gonna pick it up.

Intransit
January 23rd 2007

Good work. I don't like this.

Oddsen
January 23rd 2007

good review. I love chute too Narrow and if this is an improvement from their previous work than that sounds good.

JumpTheF**kUp
January 23rd 2007

[quote="Two Headed Boy"]Good work.[/quote][quote="mynameischan"]Good work.[/quote][quote="canyoneer"]Good work.[/quote]
Good work. :thumb:

sgrevs
January 23rd 2007

Nice review, though I disagree. I think this is a fantastic album, not sure if it's on the same level as Chutes Too Narrow however. Sleeping Lessons, Australia, Phantom Limb, Sea Legs, Turn On Me, there are heaps of really really good songs.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Good work.

lordgibbon
January 23rd 2007

I'll have to say I disagree a little bit. This is one of my favorite albums in my collection, and definitely my favorite over the previous two Shins albums. But I will give you props, because "Sea Legs" is without a doubt my favorite song on here, with "Red Rabbits" a distant second.

Good review though.

AtavanHalen
January 24th 2007

The Shins are incredible and I really love their music with all my heart. Your review is well-written, but I disagree.

MyFavoriteBand
January 24th 2007

I already have o inverted world and this cd is definatly a contrast to that.
It is now one of my favorite new cds on my ipod and i just cant stop listening to it. its good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iarescientists
January 24th 2007

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn, indie fanboys are a hell of a lot more civil than any other genre I've ever witnessed.

Thanks for the votes, feedback, etc.

Astronaut
January 24th 2007

I think this album is excellent, it's not perfect, it's not really innovative. I think all the songs are great. It just doesn't have the few exeptional that in my opinion would make it a classic album

the review was written well, and I agree with you, I just like all the songs more than you. This Message Edited On 01.24.07

mx
January 24th 2007

Good, solid album. I actually like the first track the best.

EDIT: Asides for Split NeedlesThis Message Edited On 01.24.07

warwkplyr
January 27th 2007

calling this the shins best album to date is a crime which should be punishable by death. i found that while being quite a change from earlier material, it is boring and lacks the fun indie pop of the last albums. it also doesnt really have any standout tracks either.

except for sea legs. that song is ace. still not a bad cd

very good review though agree with the rating

incubotic
February 4th 2007

/ Yes I agree, their first two albums are vastly superior. Id be really surprised if someone whod really listened to those albums would say this is their best work. But nevertheless well written review and I agree with the rating.

Its a shame that this is a weak album comming after their first two classics which got everyone talking about them- now I feel people may be put off them by this record just as they are getting the recognition they deserve.

Best songs are- Australia, Sea Legs, Phantom Limb, Red Rabbits- these are the only songs that really show the talent they displayed in full force on the previous records.

Freeyourmind707
February 8th 2007

Phantom limb is a great song but the lyrics really make no sense to me. I'm sure they have some "deep" meaning.