Marc Rizzo
Colossal Myopia

by Rich Rudge USER (2 Reviews)
January 21st, 2007 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Colossal Myopia is an album full of Aggression and Calm using a combination of Metal and Flamenco

The best way to describe Colossal Myopia, Marc Rizzo’s first solo effort is Yin & Yang as this album has straight up instrumental metal songs that Marc Rizzo is associated with being an ex member of Ill Nino and a current member of Soulfly. However on this album are a good number of songs are classical, flamenco guitar pieces, which to me shows versatility as a musician and on the basis of this album alone Marc Rizzo could be on the way to great things.

Kilocycle Interval and Introspection of an Introvert kick off the album with all the subtlety of a Tornado showing off Marc’s ability to solo and create complex song structures, the accompanying instruments add an extra bite to what Marc is playing such as moments in Kilocycle Interval when the tempo briefly slows down the drums can be heard complimenting Marc as he uses his fret board extensively. However the drumming skill of Teddy Gibbon’s is shown in the opening seconds of Introspection of an Introvert as he basically solos along with Marc, this song has basically the same theme and tempo although it has a returning riffs that are used instead of Kilocycle’s lunatic soloing

Now onto a complete reverse of what the previous songs consisted of as Marc returns to his roots on Remember the Future and gives us a chilled out flamenco piece accompanied with natural sounds of birds and waves crashing on beeches . To describe my feeling when this song appeared, imagine being in a war zone, such chaos and anger to instantly be transported to a land of calm and stress free after the anger expressed in the opening songs. It was an odd feeling to say the least; anyway the skill does not dip on this song as the guitar is very intricate but also calming to the ears and provides you with a “rest” in between songs.

Now the title track Colossal Myopia is a very odd thing to describe, as shown in Kilocycle Introvert and Remember the Future Marc can clearly play both styles very well, now on Colossal Myopia both of Marc’s styles and interests are combined with Metal riffs being connected with Flamenco fills, although the majority of this song is in the metal genre the inclusion of the flamenco adds a deeper feeling to the song, cleverly showing Marc’s interests in both styles of music.

In Conclusion Colossal Myopia is very complex and highly skilled package of music for fans of both metal and flamenco, this album is a combination of styles that will only be suited as an all in one package, the metal songs would be at a loss with out the Flamenco songs as it would become very repetitive very quickly so the change in style, if abrupt is needed to keep the attention of the listener. I would defiantly advise this as a worthy purchase to guitar players, as it is a very complex piece of work that any player, regardless of favoured genre can appreciate.

RATMFanatic
January 21st 2007

First Review so would like some advice please, also I actually won this through Soulfly's site and I'm not sure if its released in here in England, oh and its signed as well :DThis Message Edited On 01.21.07

Jom
January 21st 2007

Good work for a first, you're off to a good start trying to convey the overall feel of the album instead of being real mechanical in your review (example: at [this point], [this happens], then [this happens], and it ends [like this]).
I heard a couple songs from this because I heard about how he left Ill Nino on a sour note and people were really giving this some positive critical acclaim, and it was a real nice mix of flamenco and heavier material.
My only suggestion is to look over your writing before you submit - a couple of your sentences ran-on a bit. But still, great work for a first job, have fun reviewing.

henrybird
February 5th 2007

nice review. good work!

Anthracks
December 6th 2008

This guy is awesome.

Digging: Ariel Pink - Pom Pom

December 7th 2008

Isosceles is like the coolest song ever.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

AngelPhoenix

a combination of Metal and Flamenco

........

okay then

December 7th 2008

It works really well, seriously. I think the album is like 20 minutes too long (65 minutes really is too much) but it's really, really impressive.

AngelPhoenix
December 7th 2008

Oh I have no doubt bro, I'm gonna check this mos def.

That's just one of the strangest sentences/phrases I've ever seen.

December 14th 2008

late response, but you should check out Kilocycle Interval, Introspection of an Introvert, and Isosceles most def, those are definitely my favorites here.

StreetlightRock

Infinity is very good

Digging: Job for a Cowboy - Sun Eater

MO
December 5th 2010

He is a great guitarist, my hats off to him.