My Chemical Romance
The Black Parade

by David James Young USER (181 Reviews)
January 18th, 2007 | 108 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Alleged emo kids take to the stadiums on third and best record.

“Come on! Come all! To this tragic affair!” beckons My Chemical Romance vocalist Gerard Way on “The End.”; the opening track of this, the band’s fourth release and third studio album. It is only the start of this loosely based concept album about death, drugs, powers-that-be, bravery and love. This album has seen the band mature well beyond their years in terms of musicianship, lyricism, and especially production; working with Rob Cavallo (the rock producer behind many a great record, notably Green Day’s huge 2004 release “American Idiot”).

“The End.” is a great way to start the record, as it works like the slow part before a huge roller coaster ride. Track two is “Dead!”, easily one of the best songs on the album with its huge Maiden-esque lead guitar and a chorus drum beat that almost feels like it was written purely for moshpits. This also introduces us to the albums’ character and main concept point- a being, according to the band, known only as the Patient. “In my honest observation/during the operation/ found a complication in your heart…now you’ve got maybe two weeks to live” croons Way on the track. From this point we are seemingly taken on a journey through times in the Patient’s life that stand out to him.

As the memories differ, so do the styles and genres that the band tackles head-on. Stand-outs along the way include the band’s obscure take on rockabilly in the fantastic “House Of Wolves”, a Bohemian Rhapsody-style anthem in lead single “Welcome To The Black Parade”, and the obligatory rock ballads in “I Don’t Love You” (one of the best tracks) and “Cancer”(sadly one of the worst). However, out of all the tracks on the album, none is more odd (or enjoyable for that matter) than track nine, “Mama”. This track has everything- a mammoth chorus, a stomp/clap along part, change in time signature, creepy vocals- even a guest spot from Liza Minelli. Yes, you heard right. Liza Minelli. It’s a track that is the most different from anything the band has ever done, and would have been completely out of place on their previous two records (2002’s “I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love” and 2004’s “Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge”, which broke them into the mainstream, amidst “emo” taunts and sell-out accusations).
This all culminates with the perfect closer for a record like this: “Famous Last Words”, a heavy, driving track with remarkable vocals in the harmonies of Way and guitarists Frank Iero and Ray Toro, who provide great backing vocals throughout; and a bridge that could bring an entire stadium together.

It’s an album that’s full of surprises, especially after “…Words”. One hundred seconds after the last vocal overdub and organ is heard, a weird, twisted little sailor shanty entitled “Blood” begins, with Gerard singing and playing a honky-tonk piano. The sound is like it’s through an AM radio, and if you thought THAT was strange enough, wait until you hear the lyrics. Despite not being an official track, “Blood” takes over “Mama” in rankings of oddity.

There really is something for all fans of rock music on this record, as it encompasses so many different approaches to the format. Hardly expected of a band in their twenties who are adored by so many cookie-cutter black-clad teenagers. You would think expanding themselves so much, the band would alienate their fan base. Nevertheless, it has expanded extraordinarily with this release. Journalists who dismissed them earlier in their careers are now praising their work. Magazines and newspapers are giving them much more respect in articles on the band. The fan base now even encompasses- gasp- adults!

“The Black Parade” is what rock albums are all about- it’s serious yet still fun, it can be anthem-like and yet still intimate, it can be brilliant yet still absurd and silly. This is an incredible record that naysayers never thought this band could do, and long-time fans always knew they had in them.

The Presets PacificaLast Dinosaurs In A Million Years
Every Time I Die Ex LivesDarren Hayes Secret Codes and Battleships
Wanda Jackson The Party Ain't OverPhrase Babylon

This review is good.

^ Agrees with mynameischan

Not a 5 though. If this was never-before-heard stuff though, it'd definently deserve a 5.

Syncratic
January 18th 2007

Don't like the band at all, but this review is just awesome.

Good job, can't wait to read more of your stuff!

armfarm
January 18th 2007

its a great album. but of course people will give it a 1. cause its MCR and apparently they are "emo" and hating emo is the new trend

ToWhatEnd
January 18th 2007

Like the record and like the review.

AtavanHalen
January 18th 2007

Thanks guys!! I appreciate it a lot.

I'm digging your reviews, man. Keep it up. :thumb:

JumpTheF**kUp
January 18th 2007

I don't agree that this is rock, I'd think it was more pop-punk, especially from what I've heard (the single). Otherwise, good review.

Intransit
January 18th 2007

I like this. I like your review. Good Job.

trustxdialect
January 18th 2007

I thought I was the only person on this site that loved this album.

Great review.

January 18th 2007

I thought I was the only person on this site that loved this album.
Great review.
Suprisingly enough, there are people on here who aren't horribly biased against MCR. :thumb:

204409
January 19th 2007

For all that babbling it's surprising how little you talk about the what, how, and why of the music rather than just saying good or bad or how "relevant" this album is to rock music.

Great review :thumb:
This album really surprised me. In my opinion, it is far better than anything the band has done in previous years.
But the Black Parade video sucks.

Cesar
January 19th 2007

Really good review, do more.

lunchforthesky

sigh.

not everyhting you like is a classic.

remember that 4/5 is actually a really good rating.

Myalyas

Good review.
I discovered MCR thru my daughter. Yes, I'm one of those - gasp! adults!

I didn't really care much for the first album, but Sweet Revenge got me hooked. I heard the Queen influence then, so I don't know why everybody is flaming them now, after the release of Black Parade.

The singer isn't the best in the world, but the melodies,harmonies, all the different moves in the songs, and good guitar work, are what I like about this band.

They have gotten better with every album. Hope they'll keep it up.

IsItLuck?

1 question, 1 comment.

Why would they put welcome to the black parade in the middle? what kind of welcoming to a CD is that.

someone, please tell me that welcome to the black parade is the worse song on here, because if it is not, then I'm not sure if my ears will be able to bare listening to this CD.

January 20th 2007

welcome to the black parade is the part in the story where the character dies or something i dunno

and it's not the worst, but certainly not the best by any means

IsItLuck?
January 20th 2007

okay. thanks for the clarification.

Cesar
January 21st 2007

To me Welcome to the Black Parade is the second or third worst track. Chan is right, thats the song that the guy dies or just basically gives up on life and expects certain death.