The Blood Brothers
Crimes

good

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
January 11th, 2007 | 40 replies | 9,612 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: As Johnny Whitney sings in the closing track “Devastator”, “Everybody needs a little devastation”, so let this be yours.

People are pretty fucking crazy. I’ve known this for quite a while, but living in my little sheltered suburban paradise I’d forgotten it. A couple weeks ago, my family decided we were all going to go to New York City and I thought it’d be a nice little cultural experience to see all the whackos that hang out there.

Mission accomplished. There certainly weren’t as much as I would have hoped, but the few I did see satisfied my cravings. The most blatantly crazy person was a fellow walking through Times Square wearing shirts proclaiming his love for Jesus. Overly religious people are always good for a laugh of course, though it does make you feel guilty. Though, there were the guiltlessly laughable crowd at the Today Show the next morning who would freak out to be on TV for less than a second in a sweeping camera shot, and of course the woman who would yell at Matt Lauer while he was outside doing a story, and freak out when he looked her way to tell her to shut up. However, there are those crazy people that hit way too close to home, basically because they live in your home. Of course, I’m talking about my sister who felt the need to purchase 5 bootlegged purses for the price she could have gotten one legitimate one.

Though NYC pales in comparison to the mental asylum that must be a Blood Brothers recording session. The first thing noticeably crazy about the band is, of course, the names. Not only is their band name crazy, but the track names as well. It’s hard to not be enticed by an album including tracks with names such as “Rats and Rats and Rats for Candy” and “My First Kiss at the Public Execution”.

Then, once you start listening it’s hard not to take considerable notice of the two vocalists. Now, it’s not the fact there are two vocalists in the band supposing that most post-hardcore bands do usually have a lead vocalist and a backup one, though this backup is usually the guitarist. Not with the Blood Brothers though. Both vocalists Jordan Blilie and Johnny Whitney are specifically vocalists giving them the ability to put more passion into their singing/screaming.

The contrast between the two voices is always fun to listen to. Whitney has a very high and chaotic voice that leads me to believe he has been castrated, and though I often find high voices a bit grating, I happen to like his voice as it’s in a just about perfect pitch, especially in “Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck” where his repetitious proclamation of “Love” is so terribly catchy its hard not, at least attempt to sing like him. On the contrary, Blilie’s voice is often a cool, collective, deeper voice, when he’s not screaming along with Whitney.

The lyrics proclaimed by these vocalists are better than it would seem. Listening to the two, it’s pretty hard to decipher what’s being said, but a look at the lyrics is really quite shocking. One of my favorite things about these guys is their ability to make a decent metaphor out of a completely obscene thought. For example, in “Crimes” where Blilie sings “And we're just like those condom wrappers, used up, torn up, thrown away”. “Rats and Rats and Rats for Candy” is quite the interesting song plot-wise. It’s told from three different points of view, telling the story of a lusty girl named Candy who ends up getting eaten by rats. Not exactly a song you’d expect to be singing along too, but when Whitney screams “We need a vacancy” it’s hard not to scream yourself.

Just like the vocalists, the instrumentation is often chaotic while maintaining a very catchy quality as well. There are also plenty of catchy guitar riffs to be found such as the aforementioned “Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck” and the pre-chorus to “Rats and Rats and Rats for Candy”. Also the sad little riff played at the end “Live at the Apocalypse Cabaret” sets up nicely for the chaos driven “Beautiful Horses”. There isn’t much bass to be heard on the album, though there are some noticeable riffs on the two closing tracks. And the drums always seem to keep up to par with the fast tempo demanded by the rest of the band, though he really never shows off himself.

So, if you like drinking excessive amounts of caffeine, various obscene thoughts, and chaos, this album is for you. Even if you don’t like any of things, at least give the album a try though.

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe
For Meatplow (4)
The Blood Brothers's fourth full-length album is the devilish and campy expansion of the band's soun...

Happymeal (4)

AlienEater

good review

this album is ok but it is quite annoying

AlienEater

damnThis Message Edited On 01.11.07

Yeah album kinda sucks.

Iluvatar
January 11th 2007

Nah this is probably the best Blood Brothers album by a good deal.

TheMisterBungle

I got this today.

Intransit
January 11th 2007

Iluvatar and chan are both right. This album sucks from what little I've heard off of it, but its better than anything else the Blood Brothers have done.

iarescientists
January 11th 2007

Thanks for the feedback, etc.

This album sucks from what little I've heard off of it

Listen until you like it then.

January 11th 2007

Nah this is probably the best Blood Brothers album by a good deal.

meh they really annoy me now. Lift the Veil, Kiss the Tank is really the only worthwhile song they have.

Eliminator

2067 Comments

it's okay

cbmartinez
January 11th 2007

Pretty average album. "Live At The Apocalypse Cabaret," "Beautiful Horses" and "My First Kiss..." are the best tracks. There are a couple other worthwhile ones, but most of the rest get worn out pretty fast.

me likes punk
January 12th 2007

This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Good review

The Jungler
February 22nd 2007

This album is pretty good, though not as great as Love Rhymes with Hideous Car Wreck suggests.
Might grow on me though.

indietrash
February 22nd 2007

very good review. *votes*.
I love the album btw.

hykinix
February 28th 2007

I'd have to disagree on the note about Morgan Henderson's bass.

The Blood Brothers make it very obvious that they value their bass more than most bands within the same genres do.

I find the bass much more audible and original in this band than many others that try to chart the same course.

cbmartinez
February 28th 2007

I think the bass in the Blood Brothers' music is fantastic. Henderson plays some very funky stuff, particularly on the new album. I really dug the effects he played with and how thunderous the bass sounds on the first couple tracks. The bass really makes "Set Fire..." and "We Ride..."

Plus, if you've ever seen them play, he is one weird character.

IsItLuck?
February 28th 2007

I enjoy his bass lines. It's nothing standard, and it goes well with the music, which is makes it that much better.

Iluvatar
February 28th 2007

He's better than anyone else in the band at his instrument fo sho.

hykinix
March 1st 2007

^^^

Agreed, although Johnny plays a mean Wurlitzer.

gaslightanthem
July 21st 2009

i always forget how much i love this band

handoman
July 21st 2009

i always forget how emo i am