Pink Floyd
Wish You Were Here

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
January 11th, 2007 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1975 | Tracklist

Pink Floyd, a household name in music. Everyone knows the name of this band, if you don't, you've been living under a rock. No excuses for not knowing one of the most popular and greatest bands of all time. Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright and Nick Mason took the world by storm when they released their influential album Dark Side Of The Moon, which is to this day one of the greatest albums of all time, and a classic of its genre and music alike. Before that, they were less well known, but albums like Meddle and Atom Heart Mother showed a creativity which was yet unheard of; and the Piper at the Gates of Dawn (with Syd Barrett still), is a classic of the psychedelic genre.

Now that I have mentioned Syd Barrett, we can easily continue with this album; for huge parts of this are an elegy and tribute to the misunderstood genius that Syd was. I believe the band saw Syd during the recording of this album, in the terrible state he was in, and it slightly inspired them, to what I think is the best record Pink Floyd ever released (I dig this more than DSOTM or The Wall, and a lot more than Animals.)

The first song, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is divided into nine parts (despite not being indexed), is one of the best masterpieces that progressive music has ever produced. From the awesome keyboard and guitar solos, the atmospheres created in this song augment it to heights never before, and the lyrics of Waters are cryptic but never fail to address the point. Pink Floyd slam their point home, on what I consider one of their most amazing pieces of work.

Welcome to the Machine deals not with Syd as much as his problems with society, and the commercialisation thereof. The acoustic guitars, the tape effects, I find this to be a song that really blows you away. It takes two or three listens, but you'll love it in the end. See through the lyrics and accompanied music and effects, and you'll be guaranteed to say that this song is another classic of the golden PF era.

Have a Cigar is the "worst" track on the album, but still an ace track altogether. I can't figure out the lyrics a lot, except they hate society once again, Waters loves criticising society, piece of chagrin that he is, but again, all the effects and the wonderfully crafted music ensure that despite this not being the best PF song ever, it's still an ace addition to their catalogue.

Wish You Were Here is one of the best songs ever released period. If I have to explain to you why this is the best song of all time, you've got to have no brains, because not loving this song is near impossible. Again dealing with Syd Barrett, it is one of the most enthusing elegies and one of the most emotional songs ever written. If a song could get a five star rating max, this would get seven on any objective scale. It's that good.

Like any Pink Floyd album, this takes a while to get into, but you're going to be well rewarded, as this is a classic album in the PF catalogue. It's their best record in my opinion, and almost nothing can touch this thing, I love this album to death, even though I'm usually into metal more, this album will always be a part of my classic lists. A recommended buy for anyone who's into music altogether. If you haven't got this, do yourself a favour and pick it up now, because you're missing out.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
4.6

January 11th 2007

I enjoy Have A Cigar. I didn't at first but know I like it, but despite my enjoying it it's the weakest track on tis cd.
Tone down the fanboyism a little bit but other than that this isn't that bad a review.

Did you ever watch the video for Welcom To The Macine? If not I really think you should. It's really cool.

Once you know what SOYCD means it's easy to tell what he's talking about with his lyrics.

Sorry about the double post.This Message Edited On 01.11.07

rockstar18
January 11th 2007

I still need to get this album! I plan to purchase it soon.

Wizard

19524 Comments

A solid review Altmer. I find Wish You Were Here is a drag on this album, simply because its a campfire song and doesnt belong on this progressive masterpiece. It just doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the songs on this album. Thats just my opinion. I know people love and highly respect that song to death.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

JumpTheF**kUp
January 11th 2007

Shine On You Crazy Diamond rox my sox.

Sepstrup
January 11th 2007

This is just stupid. I hate when people rate songs 6/5 or something, argh.

Angmar
January 11th 2007

Good review I am wearing my floyd shirt with the fuzzy piggy right now. This is also my 3rd fav floyd album

iarescientists
January 11th 2007

[quote]If a song could get a five star rating max, this would get seven on any objective scale.

This is just stupid. I hate when people rate songs 6/5 or something, argh.[/quote]
Agreed.

Animals is their best.

wikuk

Quote:
Quote:

This is just stupid. I hate when people rate songs 6/5 or something, argh.

Agreed.

Definitely.

Decent review. Some descriptions were somewhat confusing, and the whole "Wish You Were Here" paragraph was pathetic and stupid. Trash that part and make a paragraph that lives up to the songs standards.

summonerofmetal
January 11th 2007

This album is great I also love the review and how you included Syd Barrett he dose'nt get enough credit.

Apocalyptic Raids
January 11th 2007

Fantastic album, and probably my favourite Pink Floyd.

By the way, Have A Cigar's lyrics are about the music industry.

Two-Headed Boy
January 11th 2007

This is such a good album. I need to buy Animals.

Patrick
January 11th 2007

[quote=stevo]Good review I am wearing my floyd shirt with the fuzzy piggy right now.[/quote]I have that shirt.

Great review, Animals>Wish You Were Here in my opinion.

Angmar
January 11th 2007

^agreed animals is my 2nd fav floyd album, the first being teh wall of course.

January 13th 2007

Despite the fact that you are correct in saying it doesn't fit with the prog like sound of the rest of the album i'm going to have to disagreee with how you say it's a drag as it and Welcome To The Machine are my favorites off this.