Paul Gilbert

by Channing Freeman STAFF
December 23rd, 2006 | 13 replies | 7,525 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: GET OUT OF MY YARD YOU DAMN KIDS

Instrumental albums by shred guitarists are difficult to review. It’s hard to say a lot about an album with no singing and no lyrics. So for the next few minutes I guess I’ll just talk about how freakin’ cool this album is.

Paul Gilbert, formerly of Racer X and Mr. Big, is a superb guitarist. While he certainly has the raw talent to wank senselessly for three minutes like Yngwie Malmsteen, his music has a certain tastefulness to it. His sense of rhythm coupled with playing that never goes too over-the-top makes for a very nice listen. What sets Gilbert apart from other shredders is the fact that he knows when to hold back. His talent is showcased far better in the slow, melodic “Marine Layer” than in the shredding intro “Get Out of My Yard.” In a genre where everyone wants to show off how fast they can play, it’s great to hear someone who realizes that melody and rhythm are far more important than playing at ninety miles an hour (granted, Gilbert doesn’t have anything to prove anymore, but it’s the principle that counts, right?).

I’m a firm believer that shred albums shouldn’t have more than 10 songs on them. This is where Get Out of My Yard fails. With fourteen regular songs and one bonus track that clock in at around fifty minutes, the album is just too long. In any other genre, a fifty minute album is standard, but when the only things you’re gonna be hearing for an hour are guitar and drums, it tends to become boring and drag on. There isn’t anything wrong with the songs per se, but when you get to around the eleventh track, you start to wonder when the album is going to end.

Other than the length of the album, there really isn’t much wrong with it. Most songs are a pleasure to listen to, with only a few exceptions. “Marine Layer” is a very soothing and beautiful song that showcases Gilbert’s acoustic skills. “Haydn Symphony No. 88 Finale” is probably the coolest guitar song I’ve ever heard. It’s basically three and a half minutes of Gilbert shredding through a Haydn symphony. If that doesn’t appeal to you, then you’re probably messed up in the head. “Three E’s for Edward” isn’t as cool as “Haydn Symphony” but it’s certainly a contender. For this song, Gilbert took all the strings off his acoustic except for the two E strings and the D string. He tuned the D string to E, so his guitar basically only had three E strings. It’s pretty amazing to hear what he can do with only three strings. He rips out some sweet riffs as well as the standard shredding, which is all the more amazing because, I mean c’mon, he’s using three strings.

Well there isn’t much more to say about Paul Gilbert’s latest solo album Get Out of My Yard. It’s got everything you would expect from the master of shred, as well as some unexpected treats. If you’re a child of the eighties who just can’t get enough of Racer X then this is album is for you. From the insane sweeping of the title track to the melodic, bluesy “Full Tank” to the just plain coolness of “Three E’s for Edward,” Paul Gilbert is sure to satisfy any fan of shred as well as anyone who wants to hear the instrument taken to a whole new level.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus

hooray for short reviews

metallicaman8
December 23rd 2006

Happy quarter century review etc.etc.

Pos'd

1912 Comments

Great review Chan, nice to see you write about something you actually like. (Unlike the Aiden/RJA reviews)

That whole 3 string thing sounds awesome.
I'll see if he's got anything on PureVolume.This Message Edited On 12.23.06

MrKite
December 23rd 2006

Great review, chan. I'll check this guy out.

Eliminator

2067 Comments

God damn hippies

1912 Comments

Well his MySpace songs wouldn't load, do you have a link to any of his songs Chan?

December 23rd 2006

I downloaded this from albumbase. It's free and all so you should check that out.

1912 Comments

I'll check that out, thanks.

Intransit
December 23rd 2006

I dont like Paul Gilbert at all. Good review.

CoRpSeSlAyEr
February 9th 2007

Amazing player and a great album. If the g3 2007 tour is coming to your town go and see it, Paul will be appearing on it for the first time along with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci. I am going to the g3 show in Chicago.

MyRamona
May 8th 2007

I liked the stuff from this on his myspace, he's the only shred artist I like. All the other 80's shred pioneers bore the crap out of me.

Bfhurricane
May 12th 2007

Good review chan, this dude caught my ear after seeing him with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci at G3. His set, though impressive, was a lot of the same old shredding. He played Rusty Old Boat off of this, which I found pretty cool. I think Ill download this just for that Haydn song

MeatSalad