Slint
Slint

by Shotgunnova USER (3 Reviews)
December 22nd, 2006 | 47 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Two songs, two people on the brink.

It's awfully easy to dismiss EPs as throwaways or wastes of time, especially when one can pick up the band's main album and probably recreate the feeling given. Anyone who's ever heard Slint's brooding math-rock epics will know better. The Slint EP is a two-song epic, a journey through some lightless place; thirteen minutes is all it needs stir the dredges of the human soul.

The first song "Glenn" is a spidery mid-tempo brooder, carried along with triple arpeggios and minimalistic drumbeats. The main riff kicks in at about 1:10, creeping along for a moment before the bass kicks in and out. It didn't strike me right away, but the drum tempo is very reminiscent of a heartbeat, though a little off-kilter. As the song hits the halfway mark, it grows a little claustrophobic, shrinking down in decibels but changing nothing else. Finally, the song dies away on a whisper, like the man on the album cover.

Song number two "Rhoda" is the direct inverse of the introverted, introspective "Glenn," immediately jabbing the listener with a wall full of wasp-like guitar feedback. In contrast to the previous song, the eighth notes are frantic and hysterical, stopping to rest until the halfway mark before crying out twice as loud. As the song dwindles to its endpoint, the layers of fuzz and static are stripped away without the listener being aware, until the last of the floundering notes dies in a puddle of a monotone hum. It's immediately jarring and stark even in its fast-paced movements, matching "Glenn" chord for chord with its bleak outlook.

I can't help but use the album cover as a comparison: a man's corpse sprawled out in front of two people, a man and a woman. "Glenn" thumps along and is unnerving because it could be that man standing over the body, the heartbeat rhythm a quaint reminder of eventual insanity. "Rhoda," on the other hand, could be the woman's hysterical reactions, which start up immediately after they've been quelled (around 3:00). Although "Rhoda" is actually an extended remake of the Tweez version, it's easy to envision the album cover as a moment of horror, frozen forever in time.

And the listener can revisit that gripping moment time and time again.

Spiderland

Tweez
recommended by reviewer
Slint Spiderland
Slint Tweez

Two-Headed Boy
December 22nd 2006

I need some Slint, but I'll pick up Spiderland before this. Good first review, too.

The Jungler
December 22nd 2006

This sounds very good, some of the guys (or at least that one) on the forums rave about Slint, I think I should check this.
Great review.

robin2220
August 19th 2007

I just got this. It is very good.

BringHomeTheBacon
August 19th 2007

Yea, this ep is awesome.

robin2220
August 19th 2007

This deserves more attention.

MeowMeow

The Jungler
August 20th 2007

I have this now, and have listened to it. It's cool, but Spiderland is totally better.

samariah
December 1st 2007

good review. i really like your comparison too. i love these two songs.

MyRamona
August 10th 2010

More people need to hear this. Perfected atmospherics.

bab808
November 3rd 2010

this is so good. completely different from spiderland, but amazing in its own right

bab808
November 10th 2010

in fact both of these songs are probably in my top hundred favorites. i just wish they could have followed this up

FourthReich
January 27th 2013

an absolute gem of an album even though it's so unfairly short.

kitsch
April 28th 2013

This is hella good, my two fav slint tracks

FourthReich
April 28th 2013

damn straight, rhoda is incredible

Parallels

fucking killer ep

why does most post rock not sound this good?

Kman418
November 17th 2013

wait they have stuff other than that one album waht

Digging: Majority Rule - Emergency Numbers

Parallels
November 17th 2013

they have two albums dude, and this EP

band rules

TheBarber
November 23rd 2013

1963 Comments

Never have I been so happy of being called Glenn

Digging: Animal Collective - Centipede Hz

chesse13
August 29th 2014

is this more spiderland or tweez

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

chesse13
September 1st 2014

why dont' more people listen to this. it's so good