Paradise Lost
Paradise Lost

by Ed Watson USER (26 Reviews)
December 8th, 2006 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All in all, an excellent album let down by a couple of misfires. Atmospheric, emotive brilliant.

Many have credited Paradise Lost with the creation of the gothic metal genre, and they have ceratinly been influential, with albums such as Draconian Times raising the standard to a bar that not even thay have surpassed since that release. However, last year saw the release of their self titled album (the title of which seems to have been mistaken here), which at times exudes the same quality that Draconian Times did.
The album does have its faults, particularly exemplified in the first two tracks. Don't Belong has really rather obvious lyrics, and with its extended piano intor seems to be trying to recreate Enchantment, my favourite track by the band. However, despite a mossive production sound, the song doesn't quite reach the heights it aspires to. Same too for Close Your Eyes, which despite some heavy riffing and excellent ethereal chanting in the background seems in desperate need of a chorus. There is also the fact that Nick Holmes isn't the greatest singer in the world, which whilst it makes them splendidly individual also makes this track rather harsh listening.
The first pair out of the way though, and the album finds its first real winner. Grey is a massive tune. The opening riff is as heavy as close your eyes, but this time there is a real bastard of a chorus, the ascending note giving way to exactly what gothic metal should produce, achingly beautiful melodies backed by huge instrumentation. The lyrics are also stronger, transcending the adolescent mutterings that pervaded the first two tracks.
From here on in the album rarely looks back. There are a few misfires, in the shape of Laws of Cause, which fails despite an excellent intro, but songs such as 'All You Leave behind', a short sharp rock song with excellent lead guitar, and 'Shine' which has two superlative chorus', more than make up for any misfires. Holmes singing provides a perfect sound despite the harsh and oddly out of tune sound. Performance by the band are very solid, especially in the songwriting stakes, and it is difficult to notice they don't actually have a drummer.

Hexes White Noise/Black SoundBloc Party A Weekend in the City
Muse Black Holes and RevelationsIron Maiden Powerslave
Stone Sour Come What(ever) MayIron Maiden Fear of the Dark
Pedro B. (3.5)
A worthy listen for those who like their goth light, melodic, yet guitar-driven and somewhat ballsy....

Confessed2005
December 9th 2006

Nice review. Concise but to the point. I saw these guys with Opeth in November and they were thoroughly enjoyable. I remember them playing Grey.

omgwtfboogie
December 9th 2006

These guys are one of my guilty pleasures, and this is my favorite of their albums, or of the albums I've heard so far.

northerncomfort
December 9th 2006

Check out Draconian Times, or download Enchantment. Perfect gothic metal. Cheers for the comments. And opeth rock.

July 31st 2009

Need this album. Close Your Eyes is rad.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

LukC
October 7th 2009

One of my fav Paradise Lost albums, good review.

August 2nd 2011

This record was a very nice surprise. Almost all songs are great here but my favourite is definitely Sun Fading, the ending theme is amazing.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

Willie
August 2nd 2011

This album just doesn't hold my attention for some reason.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

August 2nd 2011

Give it a chance. Try Sun Fading, Grey or Don't Belong. In my opinion these guys were really inspired here.

Willie
August 2nd 2011

I've given it plenty of chances. I've had it since it came out.

August 2nd 2011

Well if thats the case...This is definitely not for you.
The first time I heard this was on a travel to the country side...well...try that..Who knows ;)

boleyn2
October 13th 2011

i tried to give it a chance but it's still disappointing for me; don't get me wrong, i don't wanna say that this is their weakest album without any good songs...there's a few strong tracks that really deserve attention like "grey" or "shine"; on the other hand there's a lot of stuff that left me completly indifferent... it'd be impossible in case of their early classics; it's just my opinion but things released after "one second" have nothing to do with their first albums(and i dont mean style'changes only)... still remaining the strongest efforts in their career;

October 13th 2011