Megadeth
Risk

by wakeupdead USER (15 Reviews)
December 7th, 2006 | 10 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Risk is a terribly underrated album. But I too was doubting the quality of it at first. The album itself is really different from Megadeth's earlier work. A great album nonetheless. The only problem I have with it right now, is the mass amount of sound effects, and the guitar work lacks creativity in some places. Other than that, the album is a great one indeed, but people just don't seem to understand that.

THE SONGS

Insomnia- A great way to start off Risk. Dave once stated that he wrote this song to save the metal element of this album, but I believe that there are heavier songs on here. A great up-beat rock song is somewhat scary to people who were expecting a thrash album. 4/5

Prince Of Darkness- personally my favourite song on Risk. This is the only song that made it to their Greatest Hits-Back To The Start compelation album. It has a rather long intro, with the bass, drums, and vocals. This rock song is a very different sound from Rust In Peace, but is still great in it's own way. The main riff I found was similar to Metallica's Bad Seed. 5/5

Enter The Arena- This song is incredibly unnecessary. Intended as an intro to Crush Em, definetly filler 0.5/5

Crush Em- This one is kinda like Metallica (Load/Reload era) meets Disco Stu. Disco like guitar riffs throughout the song, and a steady rock beat makes this song a great one. The best part of this song is when the background vocals yell Crush. 4.5/5

Breadline- the lyrics here are pretty cheesy, in my opinion, but I seldom skip this song. It's nice and soft, and quite lovely. The lead riff at the end of the chorus is among one of the greatest riffs on Risk. 4/5

The Doctor Is Calling- the fisrt 4 notes sound awfully similar to Metallica's One, but still is quite good. This song is one of the heavier songs on the album, so it's great! If they didn't whisper "away" so much at the end, it would have been almost perfect. The marching intro is the best part. 4/5

I'll Be There- this song, next to Prince Of Darkness is one of my favourites on here. The chorus is probably the catchiest on Risk, but the synthesizor at the start botheres me. 4.5/5

Wanderlust- this song is an okay song, but one of the weaker one's on Risk. rather slow, but interesting. Another song where a repeating line annoys me (My Judgement Day). The song speeds up soon after, and improves the song slightly. I think this one is another filler. 2.5/5

Ecstasy- A good song, but similar to Wanderlust. The chorus is catchy, and memorable, and the instruments are pretty simple sounding, but great. A softer Megadeth tune. 3/5

Seven- A heavier track on this particular album. A fast rock song with a very catchy chorus. The verses are sort of bland and boring, though. I like this song, especially the second half when the song completely changes. 3.5/5

Time: The Beginning- the softest song on the album, but not the wost one. A beautiful song which is entirely acoustic (except the lead parts by Marty). This song is a keeper. 4/5

Time: The End- the heaviest song on Risk. A great song with the fastest solo on the album, but this one seems a little too short. 4/5

THE CONCLUSION

This album is my least favourite Megadeth album, but is still terribly underrated. Sure, it isn't thrash metal, but it's great rock and awesome sounding! It shouldn't be looked at as a metal album, because that is why many people don't like it. This album is a great ROCK album people.

PROS

-Awesome songs
-Catchy choruses
-they tried something different, thats always nice to see
-Prince of Darkness

CONS

-Megadeth changed their sound completely :(
-too many sound effects
-guitar work lacks a little

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

Finger Eleven Them vs. You vs. MeTriumph Classics
2.3

Dethtrasher
December 7th 2006

I actually agree with your review, I also agree with your recommended tracks. There are some minor errors but I think you got it pretty good, don't stay to long with the TBT-format though. Cruch Em' is probably my favourite from this Deth-album.

Intransit
December 7th 2006

Your descriptions are woefully inadequate. One sentece certainly doesnt cut it.

wakeupdead
December 7th 2006

Yeah, I think I'll stop with the tbt reviews. It took too long, and I like the ones that aren't tbt anyways. Hi canyoneer

Mikesn
December 7th 2006

Overall reviews are much easier to write, go for those.

Wanderlust and Ecstacy are two of my favourite Risk songs, though. Along with I'll Be There and Crush 'Em of course.

Bfhurricane

Insomnia is awesome
Ecstasy is sweet
Time: The Beginning is smooth and enjoyable

The rest of the album doesn't really cut it for me...
I give this a listen every now and then, it being my first Megadeth album

Neoteric
December 7th 2006

This tbt is very bare, if you want to make a good tbt, you need a lot more description which avoids just going through the song's different parts.

And this album is awful.

Bfhurricane
December 7th 2006

Nah I think this is a good tbt. This is a short and sweet review, the descriptions are short but are accurate. Easy to read, so I vote

PsychoTronn
December 7th 2006

this album was when mustaine had a paralized arm right? it seems like he focused more on the lyrics because he could hardly play guitar at the time

wakeupdead
December 8th 2006

Dave Mustaine got Saturday Night Palsy in 2002, and this was released in 1999. Hey thanks for the votes guys!

SlaveLabor
January 22nd 2009

I'm quite into Breadline atm its catchy as a mother fucker..Crush em sucks ass though

EDIT: posThis Message Edited On 01.22.09