The Amalgamut

by Mekkalayakay USER (11 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 25 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Favorites: WDWGFH(#3) My long Walk to Jail, So I quit, God Damn me, and It can Never Be the Same.

The best word to describe Filter as would be "haunting".
Just listening to their lyrics will in some cases make you gasp, or you might think, "man, I know what that guy was thinking when he wrote that". Just listening to Filter, you can tell they were highly influenced by NIN, which shows in the bands first album, Short Bus. If I am not mistaken, Richard Patrick, the singer, was a touring member of NIN; hence, why they are so influenced. Filter always finds a way to get a powerful sound. They play mainly in Drop-D tuning.

1. You Walk Away- Starts out with an awesome guitar riff that slowly gets louder and louder within 15 seconds. Then the sound explodes with heavy sound. The drummer does a really nice job througout this song. I have trouble figuring out what Richard Patricks's lyrics are about. But overall, this is a great song. 9/10

2. American Cliche- starts out with this awesome high pitched guitar, then immediately goes into a bass riff. The producer brought out the bass a lot in this song, which makes it better in my opinion. Like the title, this song is about cliches. Great song. I also gave it 9/10

3. Where Do We Go From Here- This is one of my favorite Filter songs. It was the first single of this album. It starts off with muted guitar, sort of like in Take a Picture and slowly goes right into the first verse. Patrick does an excellent job on the lyrics in this song. 10/10

4. Columind- This is not one of my favorite songs on the album, but overall, it is still a great song. The lyrics aren't really sung in the verse, but he isn't screaming either. It is almost a mix. In the chorus, Patrick's voice explodes with frustration. 8/10

5. The Missing- This is one of the slower songs on the album. It was inspired by the terrorist attacks on September 11. It's a nice song to relax to. Patrick's voice sticks out quite a bit in this song, forcing you to listen to the lyrics. Not my favorite, but still a great song. 7/10

6. The Only Way is the Wrong Way- I believe this song was on the soundtrack of one of Adam Sandler's movies. This is another one of Filter's slower songs. Not much to say about this song. I skip it quite a bit. The chorus is the only good part of the song in my opinion. The rest of the song drags.

7. My Long Walk to Jail- This is another one of my favorite songs. It has brutal guitar and a wicked drumbeat at the beginning, which soon leads to Patrick Yelling "1, 2,3,4, Push!!!!" The verse is almost all base, until it gets to the rising part of the song. The verse smoothly transfers into the chorus. Great song. 10/10

8. So I quit- Another one of my favorite songs. Guitar slowly gets louder and louder, until they double the sound of the guitar. Then Patricks screams "Mother Fuccker" with quite a bit of rage in his voice. That was the only part of the song that I didn't like. In the verse, the producers gave Patrick's voice a weird effect. It sounds good though. The chorus is perfect. 9.5/10

9. God Damn Me- This is one of my top 3 songs of the album. The song is all acoustic, with a great drum beat. This, in my opinion, is the best job I've ever seen Patrick do on vocals. Being the most relaxing song on the album, it really gets you thinking. 10/10

10. It Can Never Be the Same- This at the moment is probably my second favorite song. It starts out a little bit more mellow. Throughout the whole song, it just gets stronger and stronger. Think of it as in a book. The whole song is basically the introduction, leading to the rising action, and finally to the climax. The part that makes this whole song such a great song is the amazing chorus. Great harmonics between Patrick and the lead guitar player. The guitar also adds a nice twist in there. 10/10

11. World Today- I am yet to figure out this song. It is eery and mysterious. Patrick's lyrics sound like he is describing a man that just got out of prison or something. But this is why I like the song so much. It is hard to figure out. 8.5/10

12. The 4th- The whole song is just a low D guitar tuned guitar string; at least that's what I think. and then the vocals are Patrick saying something backwards. That is the whole song. If I have a lot of time on my hands, I will listen to this, but otherwords, it's a waste. It really gets you thinking about things though. 6.5/10

This album is one of my favorites in my collection. I hope many of you consider getting into Filter It's worth it, trust me. Thanks for reading. :thumb:

Rating: 9.5/10

Moloko Do You Like My Tight Sweater?Britney Spears Oops!...I Did It Again
Derek Sherinian MythologyBuckethead The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell
Nile In Their Darkened ShrinesIced Earth Days of Purgatory

Dimes Make Dollars
November 22nd 2003

I might buy this, I like what I've heard. It sounds like Wesley Willis saying "You tryin' to take somethin' from me, motherfuc[i][/i]ker?" on "So I Quit", so that's another plus.

Originally posted by NachoChez

lol, yeah, it does. I knew you'd be the first to reply. :thumb:

I'm going to get Short Bus and Title of Record for Christmas.

November 22nd 2003

great review...I've never heard anything by Filter, but I do like NIN. I think I might get this cd

[off topic] I like your avatar Trooper![/off topic]

Originally posted by robnathanson

[off topic] I like your avatar Trooper![/off topic]

hehe, thanks. Pac-man is awesome.

Short Bus, Filter's first album, sounds the most like NIN, so you can consider that too. But all Filter's CD's (Short Bus, Title of Record, and The Amalgamut) are great.

check some of there songs out at:

November 26th 2003

I enjoyed this cd a lot but everyone else I know hates it. *sigh*

November 27th 2003

filter are awesome

March 10th 2004

Good review TT. Start to finish, I think this is FILTER's best work to date. For me FILTER is best when the accentuate accoustic and vocals and then mix in their dropped D riffs and jam a song to perfection. Like #3 WDWGFH and #9 GD ME.

Still I prefer their slower accoustic stuff like #5 and #6 to their heavier pieces #2 and #7. I cant seem to get the missing out of my head lately great work.

FILTER's a great band...hope to see em live someday!

September 15th 2004

I saw a link to this review somewhere. I'd just like to tell you that I got it for $2 new :o

December 29th 2005

i really really like this album, but i think it's more of a 4.5 to me...there's just some songs that drags on a little..

March 13th 2006

Its alot better than Title of Record ...

July 15th 2006

Excellent music. Filter is an awesome live band.This Message Edited On 07.15.06This Message Edited On 07.15.06

May 14th 2008

Sorry dude, but i dont agree with your review.

"The Only Way Is The Wrong Way" is absolutely perfect.

People often confuse Filter for a "heavy" band and get a bit offended when the write slower or melodic songs.

TOWITWW captures Richards voice so magically, it takes a pure songwriter to be able to create and bring to life a song as beautiful as this.

Unfortunately i think your review has missed the point.

August 20th 2008

Decent band but the lead singer is a dink.

August 21st 2008

The lead singer's voice can become really grating, but I think it's mostly good on here. This is my favourite Filter album (I don't own Anthems For The Damned), but although I mostly agree (very good review, might I add), I see that you like Filter as a rock band, not an industrial band. The 4th is the most industrial thing they've ever done, and imo, one of the best. I would rate this album as a 4, possibly 4.5, personally.

August 21st 2008

Wow, where did this bump come from?

January 4th 2009

This is one of the most underrated albums ever imo. Filter rules.

January 9th 2013

Good Review man

May 17th 2013

"Decent band but the lead singer is a dink."

Fuck you

May 17th 2013

"Decent band but the lead singer is a dink."

Fuck you [2]

@MinusDrummer - what are your favorites and least favorites from the album?

May 22nd 2013