Comus
First Utterance

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
November 29th, 2006 | 105 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Progressive folk band from the 1970s pushes the bounds of avant garde music.

Comus’s “First Utterance” proves that indeed, the ‘70's were an experimental period. Pinning together the mindset of folk with the constantly evolving nature of progressive rock, Comus was able to release a record that experimentally will, in my opinion, never be dated. “First Utterance” exists in its own realm of music, because that’s what the members of Comus wished to do when they set out to make the album. Often critics compare the release to the melodies one would hear around a “witch’s brew”, and this reference is completely true. The ethereal and almost primitive feel of “First Utterance” is partly due to the fact that the only electric instrument found on the album is the bass; other than that we have acoustic guitars, bongos, violin, and extremely layered vocals.

I have a cassette tape recording of “The Hobbit” I bought at a flea market when I was younger. It was originally played on the BBC and its soundtrack is just gorgeous. Whenever I think of Comus, that recording always pops up because they both have the same atmospheric effect on me. Both recordings remind me of mountains, and issues associated with fantasy. “The Herald” on “First Utterance” is a perfect example of the atmospheric power of Comus. There is a long instrumental bridge in the song and it’s absolutely image-inspiring. Where other bands are concerned with emotional impacts, Comus has rather side stepped that motive and is instead focusing on transporting their listener to another plateau. While bands like Pink Floyd and Yes were attempting this in the ‘70's, none of them did it as well as Comus. “First Utterance” is not so much a record as it is a vessel for transporting the listener to the artist’s own realm of violence, fantasy, and nature.

While “First Utterance” is flawless in its execution instrumentally, the lyrics leave something to be desired. They words to the music do suit the music, but they just don’t reach the level of excellence the instruments behind them do. While my opinion should be taken lightly since lyrics are one of the main reasons I listen to music, I do feel the band could’ve done a more appropriate job writing lyrics for the album. Even with this small nitpick, Comus’s “First Utterance” is an incredible record, especially considering the period of time it was released in. For fans of the avant-garde and progressive rock genres, “First Utterance” will not disappoint.

Pygmy Lush Old FriendsPharoahe Monch W.A.R.
My Disco Little JoyBlack Milk Album Of The Year
Sun Kil Moon Admiral Fell PromisesFlying Lotus Cosmogramma
4.2
bloodsorcery (4.5)

username345 (5)
A twisted, scary & bizarre mix of folk, prog and psychedelia. Very experimental and ahead of its tim...

SubtleDagger (4)
Groundbreaking early '70's act invokes progressive, folk, and psychedelic rock all at once....

Out of the Coma

Iai
January 21st 2007

Wow. Can't believe this got no comments.

I just got this record and it's basically awesome. It's funny that everyone who recommended this to me mentioned how twisted the lyrics were, but I barely noticed them the first time I listened. The music's just so captivating. What you say about the lyrics is true, though, although I enjoy them a bit more than you do.

Det_Nosnip
January 27th 2007

Sounds like fun. And hey, if Iai likes it, it's probably good. ;)

Doppelganger
May 9th 2009

DRIP DRIP - AHHHH
DRIP DRIP - AHHHH

gaber01
May 16th 2009

I disagree about the lyrics. I think they're most excellent and haunting.

SunofNothing
August 12th 2009

This album is epic and extremely rare. I can't find the damn thing. A friggin classic, and inspired the title to Opeth's "My Arms, Your Hearse".

cirq
November 5th 2009

scary as fuck.

gaber01
January 6th 2010

Listening to this while on mushrooms scared the shit out of me.

silkforcalde
June 15th 2010

this album makes my panties so moist

DRIP DRIP FROM YOUR SAGGING LIP-UH

cirq
June 15th 2010

yeaaa,, comus + drugs = soiled panties

vanderb0b
June 20th 2010

Album is great. Just got this and it's so screwed up and odd that it might become one of my favorites.

Edit: What do you know, it did!

GodL1ke
March 26th 2011

come on, how can you say the lyrics don't suit the music? it's perfect in my opinion..there's almost a synergy between the music and the lyrics.
and most vivid imagery i might add .

BigSimo
May 1st 2011

review would be better if the rating was a 5

Jash
June 30th 2011

jefflebowski
October 24th 2011

so this is what acoustic death metal sounds like

laterenima
October 28th 2011

no, nooo... not the hobbit, remember that scene in rohan, where everyone is completely maggot and spewing everywhere?
that's the vibe i get.

Rev
November 2nd 2011

this is so good to sample

GodL1ke
November 2nd 2011

class

though one wouldn't think so after listening to the out of control vocals

Ovrot

album rules so hard

AngelofDeath

Sure does.

Ovrot
November 10th 2011

I want to have sex with album