Fugazi
13 Songs

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
November 28th, 2006 | 183 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Pioneers of post-hardcore make some funky shit.

Fugazi is the most important band of the last twenty years. A bold statement but whatever, I am all about them. Defining what it meant to be underground, making the local show something that could happen at a VFW hall, being constantly politically aware, etc. Listing the advancements Fugazi brought to the music world is seriously pointless because they basically redefined what a band not associated with a major label can do. Who knows if Guy Piccitto, Ian MacKaye, Joe Lally, and Brendan Canty set out to redefine alternative rock in general? I wouldn't put it past them. As much as these four enigmas wished to be recognized simply for just their music, Fugazi has and will be much more for many individuals. Perfectly balancing the aggression of hardcore and the groove of dub, "13 Songs" was the first LP released by the D.C. quartet. By most, it's considered their best, but in reality, what Fugazi release isn't? "13 Songs" was an important note in the band's discography, due to its ability to retain enough aspects of the hardcore genre of the late '80s, to make it popular in that crowd, as well as showing the bands first attempts at experimentation.

"Waiting Room" is probably Fugazi's most well known song. Dubesque bass, punk guitar, and intertwining drums, give a backdrop for MacKaye's personal ranting which has since Minor Threat become much more eloquent in both delivery and method. "Waiting Room", "Bulldog Front", "Glue Man" and "Promises" are all Fugazi classics, and the tracks between them aren't bad either. Everything on "13 Songs" follows a similar sound, but subtle differences in the tracks help the entire album work much better than other compilations ("13 Songs" is a collaboration of the "Margin Walker" and "Fugazi" EPs). The strength of this album is actually the repetitive nature: every track seems to flow into each other because they're all cut from the same cloth. Early Fugazi was less concerned with the instrumentation, and more concerned with preaching their words. Tackling issues from battered friendships ("Promises") to taking upon the persona of a woman ("Suggestion"), MacKaye, Lally, and Piccotto were making sure their audiences were aware that although the music has become softer, the message was just as strong. Which is a perfect description of what "13 Songs" is all about: streamlining the hardcore formula through a softer, yet more emotional equation.

"13 Songs" was Fugazi's LP and while it's not the most important of their releases (that title would belong to "In on the Kill Taker"), it is certainly a great one. Progressing from the sounds of Rites of Spring, Minor Threat, and Deadline, Fugazi basically single-handedly forced an evolution in the hardcore scene with "13 Songs" (Drive Like Jehu was also an important band in this regard). Gone was the teen angst of the early '80s; Fugazi was making intelligent, artsy, but still emotive music and "13 Songs" is even their most basic release.

Pygmy Lush Old FriendsPharoahe Monch W.A.R.
My Disco Little JoyBlack Milk Album Of The Year
Sun Kil Moon Admiral Fell PromisesFlying Lotus Cosmogramma
led-zep-chris (4)

pixiesfanyo
November 28th 2006

I'm goign to review Fugazi's complete discography.

November 28th 2006

"Waiting Room" and "Suggestion" are two of the best Fugazi songs out there. Good review, nearly every Fugazi album needs a better review anyways.

iarescientists
November 28th 2006

I'm goign to review Fugazi's complete discography.

Sounds good, though this is the only Fugazi album I own. Very short review, but still pretty good.

Suggestion is my favorite song. I just love when they go back and forth yelling "What it is?" And the bass is awesome as well.

The Jungler
November 28th 2006

Suggestion is the only song I've ever heard off this.
I need more.
Great review, as always.

MrKite
November 28th 2006

I need to get some Fugazi. I first heard them on last.fm and I liked it.. a lot.

Jom
November 28th 2006

Nice. I've listened to Fugazi off and on over the years, but the listening party the site had a couple weeks ago revitalized my interest in them.
Looking forward to reading the entire discography/reviews you're going to write.

blackmilk
August 24th 2007

YOU CAN'T BE WHAT YOU WERE
SO YOU BETTER START BEING
JUST WHAT YOU ARE

August 7th 2009

Whoah this is the new ghost review huh

Aids
August 9th 2009

Is this the best album to get if I'm new to Fugazi?

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

August 9th 2009

This, Repeater or The Argument. what kind of music are you normally most into?

Aids
August 11th 2009

Hmm...well I do dabble in some post-hardcore but my main interests right now are probalby progressive and post-rock. I'm really starting to dig post hardcore

Roach
August 11th 2009

Repeater and The Argument are their best two. Get one of them.

Deathcar
October 26th 2009

This has grown on me a lot, I actually think this might be my favourite/their best.

It's still got the rawness that made Minor Threat et al awesome, but with some awesome groove to it...and it was very influential.

It may not be their most exerimental, but I think it's definitely their most enjoyable to listen to.

robertsona
November 11th 2009

just listened to the first song wow

robin
January 17th 2010

at first i hated this to bits but argh i love fugazi. don't even have end hits/repeater yet. gonna be in for fun i feel.

SeaAnemone

20517 Comments

I'm revisiting this- I hear such great things.

Digging: Pharmakon - Bestial Burden

January 18th 2010

yeah dude your rating makes you fairly gay

SeaAnemone

20517 Comments

it's been a long time since I first listened to it. like a LONG time.

theendofsilence
February 5th 2010

13 songs from the first two classic 12" eps, both records are 5* stars
If you dont have the vinyl, get this CD, then Repeater and In on the Kill Taker (one of my fav albums from them)

sniper
March 23rd 2010

19075 Comments

This is kinda cool, but I don't get all the 5's. Is this the wrong album to start with for Fugazi? Because I'm not feeling the love.