Weezer
Pinkerton

2.0
poor

by zach USER (27 Reviews)
November 21st, 2006 | 44 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

“If you want to destroy my sweater/Pull this thread as I walk away/Watch me unravel, I’ll soon be naked/Lying on the floor, I’ve come undone”

Though the preceding may be an excerpt from “Undone (the Sweater Song)”, a song from “The Blue Album”, it’s a very good representation of the album “Pinkerton” and this review. Like “Undone” is the oddest track on “The Blue Album” and goes against the pop of the rest of the album with much of the conversational interludes and non-sense lyrics, “Pinkerton” grabs on to this feeling. Though it maintains much pop-influence, it also feels very alienating towards the casual listener.

Also, much like “Undone” where lead singer/guitarist/lyricist Rivers Cuomo admitted that he intended for the song to be an emotional outpour that was completely misinterpreted by the general public, “Pinkerton” was also misinterpreted by the media and most notably Rolling Stone, who named the album as the worst of 1996.

So, this feeling of alienation also plays a factor into my review. I’ve always wanted to review this album, but there are already so many reviews and all of them positive, I’ve decided to go against all this and write a review focusing on all the flaws of the album, so that people who may come to this web site and are on the fence about purchasing the album can have a reference for the negative aspects of the album, though I hope that by focusing on the faults of the album, it really only projects more of how classic an album this is…

From the first time I listened to this album, I knew it’d have little to do with Weezer’s classic debut. Where the Blue Album opens with a beautiful, inviting, acoustic intro, “Pinkerton” opens up with some atrocious feedback. Then drummer Pat Wilson enters, crashing on the cymbals, soon followed by bassist Matt Sharp, playing distorted bass. Needless to say, Tired of Sex is not the most inviting of songs. To add on to this, there is no set chorus to the song. Each time it come to the chorus, Cuomo declares on each day he’s “making” a different girl, and there’s really no sympathy for the guy when he proclaims “Why can’t I be making love come true” because if that’s what he truly wants, he should lay off the sex. Sadly, once the song seems like it’s over, it pauses for a few seconds then plays the verse once more before ending.

The lyrics throughout the album are a bit poor and childish to be honest. It often sounds as if Cuomo is an internet stalker with ADD. Across the Sea is a really great sentimental song at first, but then with lines such as “I wonder what clothes you wear to school/I wonder how you decorate your room/I wonder how you touch yourself” and he ends up telling us his entire life story, and talking to his mom. If he could have stuck to one topic and not rambled all about his many different problems, it could have been a brilliant song, but there’s just too much to comprehend for one song.

Why Bother is another song that shows some promise to be a bit of a humorous song, with lines like “But it's just sexual attraction/Not something real so I'd rather keep wacking” but then falls into mediocrity with insecure lyrics like “This happened to me twice before/Won't happen to me anymore”.

Luckily, The Good Life is thrown into the mix right after Across the Sea. It’s a very accessible track for anybody, even if you’re not going through a mid-life crisis, the topic of the song. The semi-palm muted guitar is really catchy, and during the bridge where Cuomo exclaims “I wanna go back/I wanna go back/And I don’t even know how I got off the track” you can’t help but feel some sympathy for him.

Unfortunately, the ill-advised single El Scorcho follows and completely negates the catchiness found in The Good Life. The riff is a power chord arpeggio, and it really couldn’t get more annoying. The song is a complete mess. In the middle it speeds up, only to slow down again a couple of seconds afterwards, and the solo is very awkward, as Sharp can be heard in the background trying to mimic it with his screams. A couple of the lyrics towards the end of the song are pretty good, but are, as always, soon muddled with nonsense to take the meaning out of them.

Pink Triangle sounds a bit like Why Bother done right. This time around, the lyrics are funny, yet still pretty emotional, probably due to the tone of the instruments than the lyrics. But you can’t help feel bad for him as he proclaims his love for a lesbian, that he had planned so much for, before finding out her sexuality. The solo in the song is pretty emotional as well. Brian Bell, the rhythm guitarist, and Cuomo switch off each part. It gives off the indication that the song is so tough and emotional for Cuomo, he can’t help finish it, so Bell helps him finish each lick.

The song slyly segues into Falling for You, which isn’t as sly as it’s predecessor. It’s a bit too generic, and doesn’t say anything that hasn’t been said before on the album. Literally, when Cuomo proclaims “I’ve got a number of irrational fears that I’d like to share with you.” I can’t help but think, ‘Haven’t you already done that enough?’

The album closes with the beautiful acoustic ballad Butterfly. It’s about Cuomo singing to a butterfly. The way he sings it is like a child, saying “I did what my body told me to/I didn't mean to do you harm”. Though, he often does sound like a child with most of his lyrics, this time it’s justified, because of the topic of the song. The strumming of the guitar is just so emotional and it sounds so sad, that it’s hard to get through the song without feeling a little sad for all things childish yourself. It’s a great song to end and otherwise, unsatisfactory album.

This album is definitely buyer beware. If you’re hoping for the pop tunes of The Blue Album, than this definitely isn’t for you. The feedback really gets on my nerves, and the lyrics are just much too childish for my liking. I don’t think Rolling Stone calling it the worst album of the year was really justified, but it’s certainly not the best of the year. With the few poppy tunes, and some examples of good lyrics, I think it’s best at about a 2/5.

Pros
-The poppy songs
-Some lyrics show promise

Cons
-El Scorcho
-Too much feedback
-Most lyrics are overly childish

Sun Kil Moon BenjiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
Teenage Cool Kids Queer SalutationsBeau Navire Lumens
Merchandise (Strange Songs) In the DarkOff Minor The Heat Death of the Universe
4.4

_Mote_
November 21st 2006

Although you do bring up some good points, I do disagree, and it is quite possibly one of my favorite albums of all time. It didn't leave my CD player once for a good chunk of 6th grade and almost all of 7th, and it's extremely sentimentle for me. I'd recomend it for times when you're a bit over stressed and angry.

Pinkerton ftw!

The Door Mouse

2092 Comments

This bassically was an out of order tbt but w/e. It was good. I don't really like weezer that much.

Tyler
November 21st 2006

There's no fucking way this is a 2.

Iluvatar
November 21st 2006

Read ths fellows journal I guess. It explains the review.

iarescientists
November 21st 2006

Yeah, this is basically the review of someone who takes it at face value. It's just a way for people who may casually browse the site to come across it and have a something to put against all the praise it gets.

It's all in the review and my recent journal.

The Sludge

*prepare for excessive flaming*

Geez, how can you NOT like El Scorcho! That is musical hardcore sex!

Wow, did not read the disclamer in the journal. My bad.This Message Edited On 11.21.06

TurnTheOtherWay
November 21st 2006

I think the premise behind this review is just plain stupid. If you love an album, why are you trying to convince people not to buy it? Also, it seems to kinda bash the album, especially El Scorcho for its charming quirkiness, which just sort of pisses me off. I guess that's the Pinkerton fanboy in me, but yeah, I don't very much like this review.
The album has helped me through pretty much any time I've felt down since my sister introduced me to it. So it's of great sentimental importance to me. A definite classic.

Zmev

I agree, mostly

Angmar
November 22nd 2006

I agree El scorcho is a mess.

JumpTheF**kUp
November 22nd 2006

Your face is a mess but do you see me complaining about it?
How very immature of me. I apologise Stevo.
Anyways, I don't see the point in writing a review you don't believe in. For one thing, it seems really half-hearted, as if you can't really bring yourself to condemn the album. And for another, why would you want to discourage any person from buying this album? It's one of the best albums of all time. In my opinion, of course.

Pyramidman
November 22nd 2006

^^he doesnt get i i guess

i dont listen to any Weezer at all
but if im looking to get into them
what should i start with?

JumpTheF**kUp
November 22nd 2006

The Blue Album and this album are both great. Best to steer away from the rest, although Green is alright.

RottedFlesh
November 22nd 2006

I do think the Blue album is better these days...

Iai
November 22nd 2006

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings. Even without the journal and disclaimer, you can tell this was written by someone who doesn't believe what they're saying. It's not convincing in the slightest.

Whole lotta Led

This band sux

Pyramidman

^^^like your mom
lawl

im gonna download this and the blue album
see if any of it tickles my fancy

iarescientists
November 22nd 2006

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of wanted to make it seem slightly arrogant with the bashing of it, so that it could really only show how much I do love the album, but I suppose I'm not a good enough writer to pull that off. It kind of makes me feel like a dick to think I ever was.

Thanks for the one person that voted in my favor, and everyone else, thanks for not negging me.

Activista anti-MTV
November 22nd 2006

To be perfectly honest, I liked the review. When put next to others reverse reviews, it stands up nicely.

I guess what I am really trying to say is...VVVThis Message Edited On 11.22.06

November 22nd 2006

Well up against mm8's reverse reviews, this is fuckin' Shakespeare.

Two-Headed Boy
November 22nd 2006

This album only gets better every time I listen to it.