|Presenting The Monsters Of Folk|
2009-06-12 by Adam Thomas STAFF | 7 Comments
|Monsters Of Folk, the collaborative group featuring Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes, My Morning Jacket's Jim James and solo singer/songwriter M. Ward, will release their eponymous debut album on September 22 via Shangri-La (US)/Rough Trade (UK).|
According to lore: "Monsters of Folk began as folklore of sorts, when James, Oberst, Ward and Mogis did their first run of shows together in 2004. Like the musical revue shows that went town to town when rock ‘n’ roll was newly born, the tour was called “An Evening With: Bright Eyes, Jim James and M. Ward,” although amongst friends and crew, it became affectionately known as the “Monsters of Folk Tour.” While entertaining audiences coast to coast with gorgeous acoustic melodies and world-weary tales, the foursome vowed to make their way to a studio at some point after the tour’s completion. Instead, the songsmiths went on to individually release some of rock music’s most exciting and essential albums of the last five years – Bright Eyes’ I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning & Cassadaga; My Morning Jacket’s Z & Evil Urges; M. Ward’s Post War and Hold Time. Never ones to forget their promise, when downtime presented itself, they convened in the studio multiple times over two years, with Mogis at the helm of their first recorded effort. The result is as stunning and storied as you would expect it to be.
"All four members play every instrument on the album, supplying everything from drum kills to cascading backing vocals. The songs – some road-worn fables, some intimate and intricate with electronic elements, some woozy and sun-soaked – are everything one expects from these four musical minds collaborating together. The album exudes a warm, organic spaciousness, filled by brilliant choruses, intoxicating harmonies and effortless melodies, as each member brings his own strengths to the table to create one perfect whole."
1. Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)
2. Say Please
3. Whole Lotta Losin'
5. The Right Place
6. Baby Boomer
7. Man Named Truth
9. Ahead of the Curve
10. Slow Down Jo
11. Losin Yo Head
12. Magic Marker
13. Map of the World
14. The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me
15. His Master’s Voice
Tagged: Monsters of Folk
i hate conor oberst now
My friend got so excited and called me about this a few minutes ago. I'm looking forward to it, I love all the members in their respective groups, hopefully this is no let down.
will probably suck but fingers crossed
I will listen to this
"will probably suck but fingers crossed"
This could be really good. M. Ward and Oberst together on Smoke Without Fire made for a really, really great song.
• BREAKING: Chad Kroeger Sucks Dick
• Refused aren't fuckin dead
• System of a Down to embark on Eur..
• Brand New in studio
• Chris and Shawn quit Megadeth
• Katy Perry to headline Super B
• Fall Out Boy set release date for..
• The Black Dahlia Murder streams c..
• Intervals split with vocalist
• Callejon debut first material fro..
• Adimiron stream new album
• Just Before Dawn stream new LP
• New track from Enter Shikari
• New Archgoat Song
• Third Angels and Airwaves Song
• While She Sleeps release track
• Engel Debut New Single, Album
• Madred stream debut album
• CityCop stream new EP
• Mekaal Hasan Band reveals live DVD
• Primordial post new video
• The Decemberists release new video
• Owen streaming covers LP
• 11Paranoias stream new LP
• Varathron stream new LP
» see all news