|NME's Top 50 of 2008|
2008-12-11 by Ali CONTRIBUTOR | 23 Replies | 15061 Views
The NME has posted its top 50 albums and singles of 2008.
1. MGMT, Oracular Spectacular
2. TV On The Radio, Dear Science
3. Glasvegas, Glasvegas
4. Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend
5. Foals, Antidotes
6. Metronomy, Nights Out
7. Santogold, Santogold
8. Mystery Jets, Twenty One
9. Kings Of Leon, Only By The Night
10. Friendly Fires, Friendly Fires
11. Neon Neon, Stainless Style
12. Crystal Castles, Crystal Castles
13. Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
14. Laura Marling, Alas I Cannot Swim
15. The Last Shadow Puppets, The Age Of The Understatement
16. Ladyhawke, Ladyhawke
17. Elbom, The Seldom Seen Kid
18. Late Of The Pier, Fantasy Black Channel
19. Fucked Up, The Chemistry Of Common Life
20. Spiritualized, Songs In A&E
21. Lightspeed Champion, Falling Off The Lavender Bridge
22. Oasis, Dig Out Your Soul
23. Scarlett Johansson, Anywhere I Lay My Head
24. Bon Iver, For Emma, Fovever Ago
25. Portishead, Third
26. The Verve, Fourth
27. Hercules And Love Affair, Hercules And Love Affair
28. British Sea Power, Do You Like Rock Music?
29. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
30. Hot Chip, Made In The Dark
31. Coldplay, Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
32. Mogawi, The Hawk Is Howling
33. DeerHunter, Microcastle
34. Los Campesinos!, We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
35. Cass McCombs, Dropping The Writ
36. Frightened Rabbit, The Midnight Organ Flight
37. Primal Scream, Beautiful Creature
38. Beck, Modern Guilt
39. Chairlift, Does You Inspire You
40. The Kills, Midnight Boom
41. These New Puritans, Beat Pyramid
42. School Of Seven Bells, Alpinisms
43. Black Kids, Partie Traumatic
44. Lykke Li, Youth Novels
45. The Black Keys, Attack & Release
46. Blood Red Shoes, Box Of Secrets
47. The Gaslight Anthem, The '59 Sound
48. Ida Maria, Fortress Round My Heart
49. Bloc Party, Intimacy
50. Heartbreak, Lies
1. MGMT, Kids
2. Glasvegas, Geraldine
3. Mystery Jets, Two Doors Down
4. MGMT, Time To Pretend
5. MGMT, Electric Feel
6. Metronomy, Heartbreaker
7. Friendly Fires, Paris
8. MIA, Paper Planes
9. Kings Of Leon, Sex On Fire
10. Vampire Weekend, A-Punk
11. The Verve, Love Is Noise
12. Hot Chip, Ready For The Floor
13. Elbow, One Day Like This
14. Florence + The Machine, Kiss With A Fist
15. Ladyhawke, Paris Is Burning
16. Oasis, The Shock Of The Lightning
17. Spiritualized, Soul On Fire
18. Hercules And Love Affair, Blind
19. Oasis, I'm Outta Time
20. Chairlift, Bruises
21. TV On The Radio, Golden Age
22. The Last Shadow Puppets, Standing Next To Me
23. Fucked Up, Year Of The Pig
24. Santogold, LES Artistes
25. Mystery Jets, Young Love
26. Amazing Baby, Head Dress
27. The Last Shadow Puppets, The Age Of The Understatement
28. Elbow, Grounds For Divorce
29. DJ Mujava, Township Funk
30. Florence + The Machine, Dog Days Are Over
31. Laura Marling, Ghosts
32. Black Kids, I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You
33. Vampire Weekend, Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
34. Late Of The Pier, Space And The Woods
35. Ladyhawke, Back Of The Van
36. Little Boots, Stuck On Repeat
37. Wilex, Wearing My Rolex
38. Sam Sparro Black And Gold
39. Vampire Weekend, Oxford Comma
40. Heartbreak, We're Back
41. Dizzee Rascal, Dance Wiv Me
42. Late Of The Pier, Focker
43. Glasvegas, It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
44. Crystal Castles, Courtship Dating
45. Crystal Castles Vs Health, Crimewave
46. Mogawi, Batcat
47. Portishead, Machine Gun
48. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
49. Glasvegas, Flowers & Football Tops
50. Ida Maria, Oh My God
One of the better lists imo, but still missing the absolute essential metal albums (of course).
hell yeah 'kids'
Black Kids named themselves that so anybody hatin' on them would seem like a racist.
omg traced in air isn't even there?!
I don't like how they repeat artists in the best songs part, but yeah "Kids" is majorly hip. And Frightened Rabbit is hot.
"22. Oasis, Dig Out Your Soul
23. Scarlett Johansson, Anywhere I Lay My Head"
Now this is just not right.
this list probably sucks the least, as expected. Metal discrimination ftl though
Horrible lists for people who think what a band wears matters more than the sounds they make.
But hey, it's the NME.
black kids need to stop being on these lists. ajgakjgd
A bit too British-oriented for mine. To be expected, but still.
Digging: Conditions - Full of War
how did the killers not manage to make this list i thought the nme loved to suck their collective dick
honestly. rather them than MGMT.
YES 36 MADE A LIST :D
boris's smile should have been up here. the new vines album could have made the list as well. meh, it just hasn't been a great year for music.
NME is really hyping up MGMT...
lol MGMT has 3 good songs, and that's it
These lists are a JOKE, you can just tell that all the decisions for placing are completely arbitrary. Scarlett Johansson better than Coldplay?!?!
3 songs in the top five by the SAME BAND?!?!
Hooray for CAPITAL LETTERS
Only thing I agree with is Bon Iver. Sucky list.
poo. =( mgmt. really? REALLY?
Paper Planes yo
Awesome list, I completely agree with it.
gee didn't see this coming
Digging: Sorrow (UK) - Dreamstone
kids being the #1 single is absolutely correct
some love for these new puritans!