Scott Asheton Dead At 642014-03-16 by Mackinlay McBride | 29 Comments
|Scott Asheton, the drummer of legendary garage rock/protopunk band The Stooges, has died at the age of 64.|
A founding and constant member of the band, Asheton performed their 2013 release ''Ready
to Die''. The cause of death is as of yet unknown, although Asheton had previously
suffered a severe stroke that caused his temporary retirement from live duty in 2011.
Asheton and Iggy Pop were the last remaining founding members of The Stooges after the
death of Asheton's brother Ron in 2009. Pop has released a statement on his Facebook page
that can be read below:
''IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM IGGY:
My dear friend Scott Asheton passed away last night.
Scott was a great artist, I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than
Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world.
The Asheton's have always been and continue to be a second family to me.
My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the
light of his life.
Tagged: The Stooges
• Michael Gira Accused of Rape
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Brand new Brand New Single
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Rush drummer retires
• Deftones stream new single
• Riverside guitarist dies
• The Unguided Reveal Song/Video
• Demon Hunter share new single
• Cannons release new single
• Pense Roars Anew
• At The Drive-In return
• R.I.P. Greg Lake
• New I See Stars video
• Big Syke Found Dead
• Sleep Token release EP
• Comeback song from Acceptance
• Jam Krallice's Adult Swim Tune
• Elbow Name New Album/Song
• Enemies stream final album
• 2017 Grammy Nominees
• New Wolfheart single and album
» see all news