Scott Asheton Dead At 642014-03-16 by Mackinlay McBride | 29 Comments
|Scott Asheton, the drummer of legendary garage rock/protopunk band The Stooges, has died at the age of 64.|
A founding and constant member of the band, Asheton performed their 2013 release ''Ready
to Die''. The cause of death is as of yet unknown, although Asheton had previously
suffered a severe stroke that caused his temporary retirement from live duty in 2011.
Asheton and Iggy Pop were the last remaining founding members of The Stooges after the
death of Asheton's brother Ron in 2009. Pop has released a statement on his Facebook page
that can be read below:
''IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM IGGY:
My dear friend Scott Asheton passed away last night.
Scott was a great artist, I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than
Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world.
The Asheton's have always been and continue to be a second family to me.
My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the
light of his life.
Tagged: The Stooges
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Rush drummer retires
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Phil Anselmo causes uproar over N..
• New releases from The Pillows
• Users' Best of 2015 feature
• Deftones premiere new song
• R.I.P. Glenn Frey
• Kanye FINALLY releases TLOP
• Vektor Album Details and Date
• Charlie Simpson reveals new band
• New Icon For Hire Music Video
• Congrats to our new hires!
• Omnium Gatherum release stream
• AFI/No Doubt Supergroup
• New OK Go Music Video
• Skeletonwitch Announce Singer
• Stream Eaux Claires 'DEUX'
• We Are the in Crowd disband
• New Dope Smoker Album
• This Is Nowhere stream music to r..
• New Rabbit Junk compilation
• Fallujah Detail New LP
» see all news