|Scott Asheton Dead At 64|
2014-03-16 by Mackinlay McBride | 30 Comments
|Scott Asheton, the drummer of legendary garage rock/protopunk band The Stooges, has died at the age of 64.|
A founding and constant member of the band, Asheton performed their 2013 release ''Ready
to Die''. The cause of death is as of yet unknown, although Asheton had previously
suffered a severe stroke that caused his temporary retirement from live duty in 2011.
Asheton and Iggy Pop were the last remaining founding members of The Stooges after the
death of Asheton's brother Ron in 2009. Pop has released a statement on his Facebook page
that can be read below:
''IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM IGGY:
My dear friend Scott Asheton passed away last night.
Scott was a great artist, I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than
Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world.
The Asheton's have always been and continue to be a second family to me.
My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the
light of his life.
Tagged: The Stooges
• Poison The Well reunite
• Blink-182 performing without Tom ..
• Papa Roach stream F.E.A.R
• Gorillaz reunite
• Title Fight streams Hyperview
• Asking Alexandria singer quits
• Minus the Bear Drummer Leaves
• New Death Cab for Cutie single
• New Slayer album in 2015
• John Frusciante goes acid house
• Atomicide stream new LP
• Armageddon stream new album
• New Ethereal Shroud Track
• Rabbit Junk Release New EP
• Howling Giant stream debut EP
• Cedar Boulevard's New Single
• AWOLNATION Release New Song
• The Offspring release new song
• Jeff Bridges releases new album
• Behind these snide eyes
• Dustin Kensrue reveals new album
• Adrenaline Mob drop new single
• Passion Pit album teaser
• Chelsea Wolfe announces new album
• New(ish) Jeff Rosenstock video
» see all news