|Scott Asheton Dead At 64|
2014-03-16 by Mackinlay McBride | 30 Comments
|Scott Asheton, the drummer of legendary garage rock/protopunk band The Stooges, has died at the age of 64.|
A founding and constant member of the band, Asheton performed their 2013 release ''Ready
to Die''. The cause of death is as of yet unknown, although Asheton had previously
suffered a severe stroke that caused his temporary retirement from live duty in 2011.
Asheton and Iggy Pop were the last remaining founding members of The Stooges after the
death of Asheton's brother Ron in 2009. Pop has released a statement on his Facebook page
that can be read below:
''IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM IGGY:
My dear friend Scott Asheton passed away last night.
Scott was a great artist, I have never heard anyone play the drums with more meaning than
Scott Asheton. He was like my brother. He and Ron have left a huge legacy to the world.
The Asheton's have always been and continue to be a second family to me.
My thoughts are with his sister Kathy, his wife Liz and his daughter Leanna, who was the
light of his life.
Tagged: The Stooges
• New Stick To Your Guns record
• Dance Gavin Dance stream new song
• Stream Hammock's Sleepover 2
• Arca drops new single
• xSPONGEXCOREx announce new EP
• Today Is The Day debut new song
• Josiah Leming releases video for ..
• Burn The Sun stream debut EP
• Motionless in White debut new vid..
• Avenged Sevenfold release new vid..
• Mysticum welcomes you to Planet S..
• Zodiac stream Sonic Child
• I The Mighty vocalist goes solo
• GWAR reveal David Brockie's repla..
• Superfood set release date for ne..
• Another Exotype single
• Monster Magnet re-imagine album
• The Amity Affliction debut new vi..
• Dungortheb stream new album
• She has learned everything...
• New Decapitated track
• Spain's Horizon stream debut album
• Orphans of Dusk stream debut EP
• New Chief Keef song
• Mineral robbed on tour
» see all news