Pete Seeger dies at age 942014-01-28 by A : w.e.b. CONTRIBUTOR | 23 Comments
|The singer/songwriter/activist died Monday at the age of 94 of natural causes. Seeger was born in New York May 3, 1919 to musical parents: his father was a Harvard-trained composer; his mother, Constance, was a concert violinist. |
He sang for the labor movement in the 1940s and 1950s, for civil rights marches and anti-Vietnam War rallies in the 1960s, and for environmental and antiwar causes in the 1970s and beyond. 'We Shall Overcome', which Mr. Seeger adapted from old spirituals, became a civil rights anthem.
He was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972, and in 1993 he was given a lifetime achievement Grammy Award.
Tagged: Pete Seeger
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• Brand new Brand New Single
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Deftones stream new single
• Rush drummer retires
• The Fall of Troy bassist melts do..
• Riverside guitarist dies
• Northlane drops surprise album
• Gorillaz album details/4 new trac..
• Kendrick Lamar teases new album
• New Jute Gyte EP Streaming
• Bowie monument scrapped
• Trial (SWE) stream new material
• A Lot Like Birds premiere new sin..
• Sleepmakeswaves Stream Album
• Warped Tour 2017 Lineup
• Moose Blood remove drummer
• Tigers Jaw announce album, US tour
• Negru Passes Away
• New Cigarettes After Sex Album
• The Word Alive Feel Miserable
• New Falling in Reverse single
» see all news