|Pete Seeger dies at age 94|
2014-01-28 by Non-contributor | 23 Comments
|The singer/songwriter/activist died Monday at the age of 94 of natural causes. Seeger was born in New York May 3, 1919 to musical parents: his father was a Harvard-trained composer; his mother, Constance, was a concert violinist. |
He sang for the labor movement in the 1940s and 1950s, for civil rights marches and anti-Vietnam War rallies in the 1960s, and for environmental and antiwar causes in the 1970s and beyond. 'We Shall Overcome', which Mr. Seeger adapted from old spirituals, became a civil rights anthem.
He was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972, and in 1993 he was given a lifetime achievement Grammy Award.
Tagged: Pete Seeger
• Thom Yorke shares image of new re..
• At the Gates stream new song
• Issues release live music video
• Dance Gavin Dance stream new song
• Logic drops debut single
• New Stick To Your Guns record
• Burn The Sun stream debut EP
• Stream Hammock's Sleepover 2
• Avenged Sevenfold release new vid..
• Motionless in White debut new vid..
• Varathron post new song
• Arca drops new single
• Mysticum welcomes you to Planet S..
• Zodiac stream Sonic Child
• I The Mighty vocalist goes solo
• GWAR reveal David Brockie's repla..
• Superfood set release date for ne..
• xSPONGEXCOREx announce new EP
• Another Exotype single
• Monster Magnet re-imagine album
• The Amity Affliction debut new vi..
• Dungortheb stream new album
• She has learned everything...
• New Decapitated track
• Spain's Horizon stream debut album
» see all news