Pete Seeger dies at age 942014-01-28 by in an ocean or in a glass | 23 Comments
|The singer/songwriter/activist died Monday at the age of 94 of natural causes. Seeger was born in New York May 3, 1919 to musical parents: his father was a Harvard-trained composer; his mother, Constance, was a concert violinist. |
He sang for the labor movement in the 1940s and 1950s, for civil rights marches and anti-Vietnam War rallies in the 1960s, and for environmental and antiwar causes in the 1970s and beyond. 'We Shall Overcome', which Mr. Seeger adapted from old spirituals, became a civil rights anthem.
He was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1972, and in 1993 he was given a lifetime achievement Grammy Award.
Tagged: Pete Seeger
• Michael Gira Accused of Rape
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Rush drummer retires
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• Deftones stream new single
• Riverside guitarist dies
• Phil Anselmo causes uproar over N..
• New Alaskalana Single/Album
• Transit break-up
• Magnolia post new song
• New Volbeat song
• Another BryanStars video/song
• Thousand Foot Krutch reveal new a..
• Katatonia stream another song
• New Backwordz Music Video
• Bear vs. Shark Reunion?
• Rage unveil new single
• British Theatre album stream
• Chino Moreno/Bad Brains form supe..
• Kerli releases "Blossom" video
• New Emarosa track
• New Starflyer 59 Song/Album
» see all news