|Mark Lanegan covers album|
2013-06-27 by Raul Stanciu STAFF | 7 Comments
|Mark Lanegan will release a covers album, entitled Imitations, on September 17, through Vagrant Records. It will feature songs originally sung by artists such as Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Andy Williams, Chelsea Wolfe, or Gerard Manset, among others.|
One track off the record, 'I'm Not The Loving Kind' (John Cale cover), can be streamed on SoundCloud at the following link - http://soundcloud.com/marklanegan/im-not-the-loving-kind
Regarding Imitations, Lanegan commented:
“When I was a kid in the late sixties and early seventies, my parents and their friends would play the records of Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Perry Como, music with string arrangements and men singing songs that sounded sad whether they were or not. At home my folks were also listening to country music, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, George Jones and Vern Gosdin were some of our favorites. For a long time I’ve wanted to make a record that gave me the same feeling those old records did, using some of the same tunes I loved as a kid and some that I’ve loved as I have gotten older. This record is it. Imitations.
“Flatlands” is a beautiful song I heard Chelsea Wolfe singing, “She’s Gone” is by Vern Gosdin and the Gosdin brothers, “Deepest Shade” is a song my friend Greg Dulli wrote for the Twilight Singers and then graciously gave to me to sing, everyone knows Nancy Sinatra singing ”You Only Live Twice” but I love “Pretty Colors” by father Frank just as much. “Brompton Oratory” is by the one and only Nick Cave and I heard ”Solitaire,” “Lonely Street” and “Autumn Leaves” all sung by Andy Williams who I consider to be one of the all time greatest singers. I have always loved Dave Van Ronk and his sparse version of “Mack the Knife” I copied note for note. I have been obsessed with the genius of Gerard Manset forever, hopefully I didn’t butcher his tune too badly. I have tried to cover John Cale before and chickened out, its hard to cover your hero but I managed to get through one this time. Imitations.”
Here is the track list:
1. Flatlands (Chelsea Wolfe)
2. She's Gone (Hall & Oates)
3. Deepest Shade (The Twilight Singers)
4. You Only Live Twice (Nancy Sinatra)
5. Pretty Colours (Frank Sinatra)
6. Brompton Oratory (Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)
7. Solitaire (Andy Williams)
8. Mack The Knife (Bobby Darin)
9. I'm Not The Loving Kind (John Cale)
10. Lonely Street (Andy Williams)
11. Elégie Funèbre (Gerard Manset)
12. Autumn Leaves (Andy Williams)
More details about Imitations over at Mark's official website - http://marklanegan.com/
Tagged: Mark Lanegan
Love Mark Lanegan, so I'm looking forward to this. Can't wait to hear the John Cale cover.
It's a beautiful cover, I love it. This man can sing anything and it's gold.
This guy releases collaborations, solo albums, and now cover albums on a yearly basis.
Digging: Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth
Pretty cool track list. Always love to see an artist show off their varied influences on cover albums like this.
The man's got a hell of a voice
Those Chelsea Wolfe and Nick Cave covers will make me cry with joy.
Sadly I think his true worth will only be discovered by a lot of people when he dies. Fantastic artist. 'Blues Funeral' was a great record. Yet to hear his effort with Duke Garwood but I've no doubt it's great.
• Poison The Well reunite
• Blink-182 performing without Tom ..
• Papa Roach stream F.E.A.R
• Title Fight streams Hyperview
• Asking Alexandria singer quits
• New Death Cab for Cutie single
• John Frusciante goes acid house
• Minus the Bear Drummer Leaves
• New Slayer album in 2015
• The Offspring release new song
• Gorillaz reunite
• New Ethereal Shroud Track
• Rabbit Junk Release New EP
• Howling Giant stream debut EP
• Cedar Boulevard's New Single
• AWOLNATION Release New Song
• Jeff Bridges releases new album
• Behind these snide eyes
• Dustin Kensrue reveals new album
• Adrenaline Mob drop new single
• Passion Pit album teaser
• Chelsea Wolfe announces new album
• New(ish) Jeff Rosenstock video
• Voivod post new song
• Minsk end hiatus
» see all news