Wyclef weighs presidential bid2010-07-27 by Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF | 16 Comments
|Haitian rapper Wyclef Jean is contemplating running for president in his country of birth at the next general election in November.|
In a statement issued today, US-based Wyclef revealed for the first time that he was weighing up a campaign for the nation's highest office: "Wyclef's commitment to his homeland and its youth is boundless, and he will remain its greatest supporter regardless of whether he is part of the government moving forward.
"At this time, Wyclef Jean has not announced his intent to run for Haitian president. If and when a decision is made, media will be alerted immediately."
Wylcef was at the forefront of the emergency aid effort following the devastating January 12 earthquake, which is estimated to have killed up to 300,000 people, with his charity Yele Haiti. Yele Haiti came under investigation early this year for irregularities in the way it distributed its funds.
Tagged: Wyclef Jean
well this is interesting.
I'd vote for him if I were there. This would at least get young people engaged with (and trusting) the Haitian gov't, which would be a huge help.
Pretty cool news
Digging: Kylie Minogue - Fever
Pat Riley should consider running for president.
Digging: Lowdown Da Sinista - Coming For Your Soul
itd be cooler if he ran for president here.
This could be interesting.
I don't like Wyclef much as a musician but he seems like a really nice guy.
I love wyclef and feel like he has done alot of good in this world but I'm not sure hes qualified to be a political leader for a country that needs to be brought up from the ground.
Would he be elected on friday?
assassinated on saturday?
That's a fucking mess he'd be walking into. I highly doubt he'll do it, maybe he would if Haiti wasn't completely a shambles, but not now.
so this is the legacy of Arnie.
Wyclef is change they can believe in.
• R.I.P. Chester Bennington
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• The Fall of Troy bassist melts do..
• Brand new Brand New Single
• Deftones stream new single
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Rush drummer retires
• Echo Tail streams new album
• New Osiris (Egypt) song, EP
• Two New Converge Tracks
• Perturbator announces EP
• Linkin Park release statement
• New Hollywood Undead video, album
• Sundfor sings with John Grant
• Another new Don Broco Track
• Steven Wilson debuts new video
• Humanity's Last Breath single
• Periphery Chester Tribute
• Linkin Park cancels world tour
• Pentakill return with new album
• New Malokarpatan song
• New Art from Thy Art is Murder
» see all news