|Kate McGarrigle Dies|
2010-01-20 by Dr Dave De Sylvia STAFF | 20 Comments
|Canadian singer-songwriter Kate McGarrigle died on January 18 at the age of 63.|
McGarrigle succumbed to a rare form of cancer known as clear cell sarcoma, an illness that affects connective tissue such as bone, cartilage and muscle. She had been battling the condition since being diagnosed in 2006, having helped found the Kate McGarrigle Fund for sarcoma research at McGill University.
Her sister Anna, with whom she released all of her recorded music, broke the news on the duo's website, announcing: "Sadly our sweet Kate had to leave us last night. She departed in a haze of song and love surrounded by family and good friends. She is irreplaceable and we are broken-hearted. Til we meet again dear sister."
McGarrigle was among the founding members of a musical dynasty that includes her ex-husband Loudon Wainwright III, with whom she had a troubled relationship, and her children Rufus and Martha Wainwright, both of whom have established successful careers are solo performers.
Tagged: Kate McGarrigle
Just a note, she was 63, not 23.
is that a typo? she was 23 and mothered people older than herself?
too bad tho. good music in that family of people
Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses
These deaths are starting to really stack up...I'm not trying to be an ass or anything I'm just saying.
RIP, from what I heard she was a great person.
Not cool, I actually really like Kate & Anna McGarrigle's work.
They were also responsible for perhaps one of the most single beautiful moments in music I can name, the end to Hallelujah by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Brings me to tears.
I'm not familiar with any of her music, but it's sad nonetheless. R.I.P.
It's a shitty day for Canadian Music.
What do you mean, 'these deaths are really starting to stack up"
musicians aren't immortal, they get cancer too. people die every day. jesus christ stop making retarded comments. RIP
lol 'these deaths are really starting to stack up' listen to this guy
i'm unfamiliar with this woman by the way
'musicians aren't immortal'
what! oh shi-
i've only heard of her, RIP
Requiescat in pace
Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence
• Incubus reveal upcoming releases
• SUMAC premiere new song
• Melechesh post lyric video
• CHON sign to Sumerian Records
• The new Colour Haze record is out
• Fair to Midland side project anno..
• Decemberists reease new material
• Methadone Skies unveil new LP
• NYVES releases new song
• Moody Bidoofs stream new album
• Scorpions detail new album
• East of the Wall team up with Cry..
• Thrown to the Sun stream new album
• Havukruunu stream new EP
• The Darcys are now a duo
• Get Set Go stream new album
• Falling in Reverse debut new song
• Bobby Shmurda & crew indicted
• Stonebride drop new album
• Morbid Angel working on new mater..
• Prognathe stream new album
• Imagine Dragons release new single
• Astrokraut stream debut album
• Sekte stream debut album
• Korn vs Type 1 Diabetes
» see all news