Teddy Pendergrass Dies2010-01-14 by justice rains from above STAFF | 17 Comments
|R&B icon Theodore DeReese "Teddy" Pendergrass passed away on Wednesday evening at the age of 59. |
Pendergrass emerged as the drummer with the Cadillacs in the late '60s, and remained with the group when it merged with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes in the early '70s. He then transitioned from drums to vocals, and famously lent his powerful baritone chords to the group's smash 'If You Don't Know Me By Now.'
In the late '70s, his solo career took off, with songs like 'The More I Get the More I Want,' 'Turn Off the Lights,' 'Love TKO,' 'Close the Door,' and 'I Don't Love You Anymore,' rendering him an R&B icon. He passed away in a hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, just
miles from his place of birth.
While the cause of his death is uncertain, CNN reports that it was related to complications stemming from a 1982 car accident. However, Pendergrass had undergone colon cancer surgery in 2009, complications from which also may have contributed to the late singer's death.
Tagged: Teddy Pendergrass
• Michael Gira Accused of Rape
• R.I.P. David Bowie
• R.I.P. Lemmy
• The Story So Far's vocalist dropk..
• Scott Weiland dead at 48
• Brand new Brand New Single
• Killswitch Engage debut new single
• Rush drummer retires
• Deftones stream new single
• Riverside guitarist dies
• Decade late, Brand New review
• New Wolfheart single and album
• New Arcane Roots Single
• Bladee & Thaiboy Digital drop new..
• Second single by Need
• Black Anvil post new song
• Scum (FIN) streams lost album
• Present Paradox teases new materi..
• Sacred Bones NYP Bandcamp Sale
• New As It Is song
• Zao Stream New Album
• Tim Bowness announces 4th solo al..
• New Portugal. The Man Video
• Run the Jewels Detail New LP
• 3 New Volcanic Queen Releases in ..
» see all news