Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
bjorgvinben
mx newbie

How many of you actually learn to record your music?

Just a quick question, as someone who has been both a musician and then became an engineer I'm interested in how many musician learn how to record their own music in the rehearsal space or at home?

If you actually do, do you take it the whole way to mastering and release or are you stuck without knowing what to do after the recording process? I just ask because mixing and mastering seems to be the more complicated process of the whole music production thing...

Any thoughts?
bjorgvinben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Peacelog
1post can make difference

i just learned to press the rec button, it is usually red, it took me about a week, i am pretty confortable at i now
Peacelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Trebor.
Licensed To Wag

At first I just started playing and I wondered why my music wasn't magically appearing on a CD or something. Then I realized I needed a recording software. So then I start playing my guitar to that, but it still didn't work. Years later, I realized you have to plug in a mic and press the record button, wow what a struggle, but it eventually worked for me

Cheers to others that attempt it as well

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
jesjohnson
mx roadie

I'm actually learning how to use Logic Pro right now. I don't have much experience with recording, but I'm trying to get it.
jesjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Laetus

I've taught myself everything I know. I can mic amps, drums, rooms and I know a lot about how sound reacts to certain room types etc.. I mix my own music in detail, and master it when I'm done.

Mixing and mastering requires time, patience and very good ears.
Laetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
guitarbaz
Johnny Marrish

Been messing about with home recording since the days of Steinberg Pro12 on an Atari 520ST.

Fair to say it's come a long way since then.
guitarbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
SamRussell
mx newbie

I've taught myself simple bits and pieces in Logic Pro. If I was going to release something, I think I'd pay someone to master it for me though. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has the patience to do it themselves!
SamRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
jtees4
mx roadie

I have been recording myself since around 1972. I started before cassettes. When the first portable cassette recorders came out, I used it and my older little portable 3" reel to reel to overdub from one to the other. Moved on to full size reel to reel at some point and finally delved into digital a few years ago. I have learned much along the way BUT I don't have a clue what I am doing as far as "how it is supposed to be done". I guess, personally, I would love to learn how to do more with the minimal equipment I have, including mixing and mastering. I have only recently discovered (or at least try) to separate things by using frequencies instead of just balance, but I have a ways to go in that area.
jtees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Hep Kat

i use a 4 track
Hep Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
guitarbaz
Johnny Marrish

Best tip I heard was, if you're having to eq all the time when mastering you're not recording it right. Makes sense to spend the time up front rather than having to put it all right later.
guitarbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
nelsonolstrom
mx newbie

I record at home as a demo or to flesh out the songs and add another dimension to my songs, then go to a studio that has better equipment and engineers.
nelsonolstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
jaysummers759885
mx newbie

I have learned recording using Ableton DAW. It is pretty common to see both producer and musician. I will say that I have struggled learning on my own how to record and make a professional sound. After years of searching and trying to learn, I have learned that it takes a great amount of money to create a surrounding in which you can create a professional sound. There are a lot of factors, and most people will just settle with whatever they have, but truly you will need knowledge, money, equipment, talent, and time.
jaysummers759885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Vinnie's Ice Cream
You want some ice cream!?

Always learning new tricks and techniques.

But yes, I have attempted to learn to both mix and master my own recordings. I have numerous books, have taken classes and hung out in various studio's and mastering houses to learn the various techniques.

There is also some amazing software to help with both, particularly mastering. The iZotope Ozone stuff I really enjoy using. It's just silly powerful.

I think, for me, it's come down to my physical monitoring space more then mixing/mastering technique.

There comes a point when it's just personal preference. You can listen to 5 super high end albums (compare DMB to Tool for instance) that have completely different sounds.

Now I am learning how to achieve the different sounds. The software makes it very easy to get "there" and then from "there" manipulate sound sources to create the difference sonic make up that I'm looking for.

Again, compare a DMB album to Tool to Miles Davis to Dr Dre to 311....

Last edited by Vinnie's Ice Cream; 09-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Vinnie's Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
joshuahuntkc
Badass Motherfucker

I Do. http://bythemoonlight.joshuahunt.bandcamp.com/
Here's an example of some of my stuff. Not the best quality but my mixes are pretty decent for the quality of the equipment I use. I just use a Blue Bluebird Microphone on everything except for the bass which I do D/I. I used sonar 7 to record everything, but I'm running Pro Tools 10 now.
joshuahuntkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
MikeAHewlett
mx newbie

I do my best...Ive just recently gotten into learning. I have a pretty decent interface and a few mics a run through my macbook pro..I wish i knew more in the mixing and mastering dept though. Here is the result of my learning so far http://mikehewlett.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/mikehewlettmusic
If anyone can listen and offer any advice or feedback it would be much appreciated!
MikeAHewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
BenyaWeller
mx newbie

I'm learning by doing on a small homerecording level.
I work with a Fostex digital recorder and then mix the tracks with Ableton. Until now I haven't learned that much, I made a course in Ableton, but there's way more to learn for me on my own!
BenyaWeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
evkimble
mx newbie

Nw I'm using GarageBand, very easy to use. I plan moving up to Logic soon. I'm also using a UX2 Line 6 interface. I'm a newb but it put out decent quality for preproduction.
evkimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
Activista anti-MTV
Feminine "-a"

Haven't ever tried to record my own music...
Haven't ever wrote any of my own songs...
Only played other people's songs...
Have played in a band... but someone else wrote the songs.
Activista anti-MTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #19
halfnote
mx newbie

I was once in a professional record studio and it was awesome and far too expensive. Now, I'm trying on my own.
halfnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
Det_Nosnip
Mortals Watch the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
Always learning new tricks and techniques.

But yes, I have attempted to learn to both mix and master my own recordings. I have numerous books, have taken classes and hung out in various studio's and mastering houses to learn the various techniques.

There is also some amazing software to help with both, particularly mastering. The iZotope Ozone stuff I really enjoy using. It's just silly powerful.

I think, for me, it's come down to my physical monitoring space more then mixing/mastering technique.

There comes a point when it's just personal preference. You can listen to 5 super high end albums (compare DMB to Tool for instance) that have completely different sounds.

Now I am learning how to achieve the different sounds. The software makes it very easy to get "there" and then from "there" manipulate sound sources to create the difference sonic make up that I'm looking for.

Again, compare a DMB album to Tool to Miles Davis to Dr Dre to 311....
Yeah, going from "just make it not sound like crap" to having a signature sound or ambiance that is appropriate for the music is definitely what separates the pros.
Det_Nosnip is offline   Reply With Quote