Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

Thumbs up The Headphone Thread

Because what good is good music if you're listening to it through a set of iBuds?

Here you can rave about the cans you're using and how it makes Claudio's voice sound better than real life, or how it drives the deep pulse of Deadmau5 down into your soul like John Henry on a railroad spike. If you need headphone rec's or have headphone questions or want to rant about headphone hype (FUCKING BEATS), here's the place to do it.

I myself am a long-time fan of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's, which are probably the best entry port into the world of audiophile headphones (and for a lot of people, all they ever need to get to). After a good long life, they've gone caput on me, so now I'm about to test two other headphones side-by-side: Ultrasone HFI-580's (or rather, DJ1's...same thing), and Beyerdynamic DT-770 (80 ohm version), and I can't tell you how excited I am. We'll see how it goes.

What are you guys using? What do you guys want to ultimately end up with? Is there anyone on this forum who even cares about such things?

Last edited by Masochist; 02-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

I'mma bump this ahead of the spam ;-)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
FstrthnU
mx newbie

I got a Koss PortaPro last year and I have absolutely been FLOORED by it.

For the past few years, I've gone through a fair number of headphones:
Ultimate Ears Superfi4
Creative EP-830
Klipsch Image S4

To be blunt, the Koss PortaPro completely destroys anything I've used before. Even a year later I am still amazed at how good this thing sounds. I was a little skeptical of the on-ear design, but when I got used to it, there was absolutely no looking back. Clear highs and mids and solid (but not overpowering) low end, the balance on it is perfect. Now, I haven't used $300 headphones yet, but I don't even know if I will bother with them anytime soon. The Koss is just that good.
FstrthnU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
Mardy
hey HEY hey HEY hey HEY

It's been a while since I had some serious headphones. I kept loosing my in-ears and stuff, had some expensive Bose at some point which got fucked and lost interest in buying some new (started on college too, so money problems).

Those Koss PortaPro look interesting. What are other good ones in same price range?
Mardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're an audiophile, you might go for some Grado Prestige SR-60i's. They're open back, so they don't keep sound well, but from what I hear, they're one of the classics. If it's more bass you want, it'll probably be the XB500's from Sony (the 'XB' literally stands for Extra Bass).

As a disclaimer, I've never owned either of these headphones, and I've never heard the SR-60i's...but I've done my research, and these get glowing reviews for what they're used for.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Puiu
mx newbie

I'm not an audiophile so i just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 448 at really good price (50% off). The bass is kinda lacking, but the sound is clear and they are really comfortable. I can use them for long periods of time with ease.

But if i ever get the chance i would certainly buy something much better. But i need to have the hardware to plug them in. Because i don't a good audio card is the reason i didn't even consider buying a better pair of headphones.
Puiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
headphones
mx newbie

Grado master race reporting in
headphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puiu View Post
But if i ever get the chance i would certainly buy something much better. But i need to have the hardware to plug them in. Because i don't a good audio card is the reason i didn't even consider buying a better pair of headphones.
Good point. No use in getting higher-end headphones without a soundcard to get the most out of them (unless you have a headphone amp).

I'm currently testing both the DT-770's and HFi DJ-1's. Can't figure out which one I like better out of the two....
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
ncguitar
Mosh Ninja

I have a pair of Philips SHL 9560. They were not expensive (about US$50), and deliver great sound quality for the price; the lows are very clear, you can tell pretty well the difference between highs and lows, and it has a fair enough range. The problem is that they're not very comfortable to your head. Plus, they produce a creeking sound when you walk wearing them, that once noticed becomes a tad annoying.

I use them at home or in the subway/bus, with my laptop or with my iPod (the later one needs to be repaired because the HD screwed up). I don't have much of a hurry replacing them, but if someday I get lucky and run across some cash, I could use a more comfortable pair.

By the way, does the PC's sound card affect that much the sound quality? I'm just curious, since I would rather replace my laptop before upgrading its hardware.
ncguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguitar View Post
By the way, does the PC's sound card affect that much the sound quality? I'm just curious, since I would rather replace my laptop before upgrading its hardware.
Very much, just like changing the graphics card changes the graphics quality...or like changing headphones changes how much you can hear ;-)
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Realfanback
mx roadie

Hi there am using ony MDR-1R Premium Headphones and they are the best. The sound quality is the best. Try using them
Realfanback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

I'm jealous of folks who have that money to spend on headphones! If I had it, I'd've gotten myself a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's, but I just couldn't justify spending that much. Oh, well...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Masochist
Deadly Sinner

Just gonna bump this in case folks feel the urge to talk about headphones...;-)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
JizzInMyPants

Only thing I ever had, buy them every 3-4 months or so cause the sound wears off. Never tried any $30+ headphones tbh. Great for working out too obviously
JizzInMyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
CharlesDavis
mx roadie

just using a simple headphone of sony xperia its cool and sound in superb quality
CharlesDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
trippinzap
mx newbie

yes @ Charles is right
trippinzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #17
Sanders
Sir Mx-a-Lot

I can't afford headphones right now, but I've been using these earphones for the last 6 months and they're sick for the money I paid

http://www.trustedreviews.com/soundmagic-e30_Headphones_review
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #18
CharlesDavis
mx roadie

i would be listening some jazz music with my apple headphones
CharlesDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
dogpissdavidson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDavis View Post
i would be listening some jazz music with my apple headphones
dogpissdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
StrictlyStupid
mx newbie

I've really been enjoying my Grado SR-80i's. It's crazy how clear the soundstage on them is for what I paid.

They're not exactly an audiophile grade pair of headphones, but quite decent nonetheless and probably some of the highest quality cans you'd find for $100. Would recommend.
StrictlyStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #21
dogpissdavidson
Banned

le nichijou face
dogpissdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
Ando!
classic ando

Quote:
Originally Posted by JizzInMyPants View Post

Only thing I ever had, buy them every 3-4 months or so cause the sound wears off. Never tried any $30+ headphones tbh. Great for working out too obviously
i use these for xrcise, theyre nice for that

i dont really care about sound quality tho
Ando! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Peacelog
1post can make difference

i have a pair o Koss too, at first i though it was just a well priced knock off brand, but it really stands on its own.
pretty alright, have them for 4 years
20 dollars

Peacelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

Got my red Dre Beats on and I keep it hood like this Phantom was a Nissan
HillaryClitTounge is online now   Reply With Quote