Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
aqualungcancer
mx newbie

How do I get my vocals to sound similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_WYKatMnV8

That is my favorite sound for vocals. We have an instrumental done, but I want to know how to make my vocals sound similar in style to that via editing or what have you. Any help?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
blockhead
Banned

Google.com
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
OwenGillett
mx newbie

Hi,

There is nothing unusual about how this vocal is recorded. It is quite far back in the mix but if you are talking tonally, there is nothing out of the ordinary.

A typical recording chain for these sort of vocals might be:

Dynamic mic such as Shure SM7 into a decent preamp + compressor such as a Universal audio 6176 or really, any decent mic going though a stage of or so of good analog compression, maybe hitting reasonable hard. There is usually some high pass filtering to get rid of the extreme/ sub info that isn't needed, some brightening of the higher frequencies for clarity (say 10KHz up but there are no hard and fast rules)
Then often some tailoring of any mud in the lower mid range and maybe some de-essing to deal with any sibilance.

For this track there may be some very low level reverb to make it clue into the track too.

Very often less is more with recording and mixing. and remember, good recording begins at the source, ie if the vocalist can do their job then getting them to scream into any mic and balancing it back into the track with a bit of compression and brightening/de-essing shouldn't be too hard considering how far back in the mix the vocals are.

All the best,

Owen Gillett
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
OwenGillett
mx newbie

PS if you are inexperienced as an engineer, you could consider paying an engineer to come and set up a recording chain for you which works for your style. It would be a relatively small investment for a big gain in results and happiness!

Best,

Owen Gillett
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
Conorman11
mx roadie

those 2 comments look so professional...
Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
aqualungcancer
mx newbie

That was a big help! Thank you!