Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
FartMang von Butt

using a loop pedal and playing with a drum machine... terrible

so i have a boss RC20XL loop station, and i have an alesis sr16 as well as hr16 drum machines. so since every musician i ever had a band with moved away, i'm trying to get a solo thing going on with some nice intricate pretty songs. and considering that i've been playing music for almost 9 years, this is not difficult to do. or at least, it SHOULDN'T be...

problem is, when i get my drum machine going and start playing a layer that i want to loop, my playing will be spot on and i'll have perfect timing. BUT if i stomp on the pedal even half of a half of a millisecond off time, the tiny fractions of seconds start to add up and like headlights slowly blinking out of sync, it will get distinctively off time after it loops around a number of times. and since my songs are 3-5 minutes long, this obviously gets pretty nasty.

when i try the songs without the drum machines i'm fine, but i want percussion and since i don't have a drummer who can make conscious decisions to keep the timing humanly stable, i'm stuck with only this option unless i shell out some cash for something else that can help. i just don't know what will help though.

can anybody give me some advice?
i know there's a tempo button on the RC20XL that i can push while listening to the drum beat, and then it'll try to sync it, but the problem is, i don't wanna have to crouch down and set the tempo at the start of every single song...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Undead
Gunslinger

You just may need a digital audio workstation for a project like this.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
FunkMetalBass
GrandMaster FunkMetal

Is there a tap tempo controller for the RC20XL? If not, you may have to just bend down and deal with it.

The only other thing I can think of is to send the drum track through your loop, that way it loops as needed, and then turn it off after the first loop. Those few milliseconds wont be noticeable to the crowd with the drum machine off.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
FartMang von Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMetalBass View Post
Is there a tap tempo controller for the RC20XL? If not, you may have to just bend down and deal with it.

The only other thing I can think of is to send the drum track through your loop, that way it loops as needed, and then turn it off after the first loop. Those few milliseconds wont be noticeable to the crowd with the drum machine off.
yeah i should have worded it a bit better, it's a tap button for the tempo, i just find it inconvenient because i'd still have to bend down after turning the drum beat on for every song if i did this live.

and i had actually considered the idea of putting the drum machine through the pedal and then switching but at first i kinda thought it was impossible. buuut i had kinda stopped considering it until you mentioned it and now i'm actually realizing it's not so unreasonable to do so.

my only reservation though, is that i wish i could have the drum machine running through its own speakers, because if it's having a layer of guitar with an octave pedal (for a bassline), as well as 2 or 3 other layers of guitar, AND a drum machine going through just my halfstack (i mean it's pretty big for a half, and i might be able to add my bass cab on since i kinda like the tone of guitar through bass amps anyway) it'd probably be really really claustrophobic sounding. and if i were playing solo show like that, i'd really wanna compensate for having no other members by at least getting my sound to be bigger and more open.

i could also probably split the signal after the pedal and send it to 2 rigs which would be cool (maybe one guitar halfstack and one bass halfstack) and it would definitely get my sound bigger and more spread out, but it'd still probably get cluttered since it'd just be like, a SUPER mono set up. i'm still open to it though, can't knock it til i've tried it.

thanks!

and Undead, i definitely know that'd be a very useful option, but i kinda wanna avoid digital software and just like lifeless programs. i just get so much more enjoyment out of working with ever piece of equipment and all the real knobs and buttons and wires that i wouldn't want to sacrifice that for the convenience mouse clicks, downloading, and installation. my enjoyment is first priority, convenience is second. not to sound like an elitist, i know others may enjoy computers more and that's their taste, but it's just a personal thing for me.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
FartMang von Butt

so i just tried it out and it works great. currently just putting it through one halfstack and the only issue is that, like i thought, it just doesn't sound as good as if it were coming out of more places, so i'm gonna buy a signal splitter and solve that issue. anyone have recommendations for cheap ones?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
cometuesday
see: conversion delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartMang von Butt View Post
i kinda wanna avoid digital software and just like lifeless programs. i just get so much more enjoyment out of working with ever piece of equipment and all the real knobs and buttons and wires that i wouldn't want to sacrifice that for the convenience mouse clicks, downloading, and installation.
yeah i used to think like that, until i took an arrow to the knee.

but seriously a daw would not only make life simpler but you can tweak your sound.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
emperorscream
mx newbie

Hey guys, Ive just read your messages and am in a similar similar situation to FartMang-I am using a line 6 delay pedal to loop some pretty basic guitar lines for live performances but as I am playing along to a preset drum beat recorded on reason 6, as the song progresses the slight difference in where i brought the guitar in/out becomes magnified accross the song. Ive been trying to work out if there is a pedal where you can set the exact BPM so that when I bring the guitar out it is snapped to the perfect beat, but this doesnt seem to be an option, if there is I would really appreciate some views on the matter,

biggup yo' selves!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
joefloyd27
mx newbie

Audacity is your answer. It is free recording software that you download. Record your backing tracks rather than trying to do it on the fly. Loops are great if you have a live drummer and band that can flex a little. Recording the loops will solve all these problems. I play several times a month and there are some distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Disadvantages.
If you miss your ques you're screwed.
You have to perform better because you have no one else to help you keep the crowd interested.

Advantages.
I get more money while charging my club owners less. They like that as well as I do
No attitudes to deal with
My drummer shows up when I do and he'll be sober.
I don't have to fight with anyone about volume no matter how small or large the venue.
No wife problems at practise or gigs.

I could go on. Just record everything so that you can concentrate on your singing and playing during a performance. I find that if I get too bogged down in trying to do too much I can't concentrate on the important part. ENTERTAINING YOUR AUDIENCE!

Also I run the whole thing including my amp and vocals thru a stereo sound system. Trying to run thru your amp while playing through it sucks. I use JBL speakers and a QSC power amp with a small Mackie mixer. Line 6 spider valve amp and a vocal processor that with the punch of a foot button gives me great harmony vocals as well as a decent delay and verb. I get my friend Tommy Warwick (drummer for Rebel Son), to do my drum tracks and I do all the bass rhythm tracks myself and I play lead guitar and sing live. At 51 yrs old Im finally happy with my full rig.

just my 2 cents

Last edited by joefloyd27; 04-02-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
MrLoopDoggyDogg
mx newbie

Pigtronix Infinity Looper

Morning everyone,
I looked through a lot of forums to find a solution I was happy with to this problem and it seems like a lot of people want to keep their loops in sync with their drums. Not too much to ask you'd think but something the manufacturers seem not to have managed on most loop pedals.
If you don't want a computer or full midi controller set-up then I think the simplest way is to connect an Alesis Sr-16 Drum machine (cheap) via one midi cable (cheaper) to the Pigtronix Infinity Looper.
It works straight away, you play some drums, loop some loops and they will stay in time forever.

I made a video because I know a few people are trying to do this.

http://youtu.be/BH_F2e7wuqs