Old 05-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #421
Deviant.
Hedonistic Jaguar
Sputnik Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by clercqie View Post
Since you guys (mostly Dev and Taylor) are having issues with how many additions to the database are made, why not make a how-to or style guide to show what's ok and what isn't? When I add stuff, I try to be as complete as possible, but a guide would remedy a lot of confusion with tiny details. It could save a lot of editing time as well if you ask me.

Make it a sticky here and maybe even feature it as a list for some time on the main site?
One is already in the works

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #422
taylormemer

Haha, I'm glad the idea is in the mind's of others.

It will be done really soon. Just gotta get this semester down.
taylormemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #423
clercqie
mx roadie

Alrighty then

Digging: Sully - Blue

Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #424
Adabelle
Ada m

^Looking forward to that how-to guide!

Just a suggestion, I imagine it's probably not the easiest thing to do, but could it be possible to sort out some way of redirecting from searches to band pages.

E.g if someone searches "Jeromes Dream / Orchid" but the page is actually "Orchid / Jeromes Dream", the site could redirect them b/c at the moment, often people don't realise there's already a page and add it to the database so we end up with two of the same page.

EDIT| Or maybe, like the 'Similar Bands' section that is currently on band pages, there could be one where you could link to all the splits that the band are on (if they're on any).

Last edited by Adabelle; 06-23-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Adabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #425
salival13

I noticed when browsing the charts under All genres. the albums listed include their sub genre such as "black metal", "progressive", "hardcore" etc. yet these are absent when viewing the charts by genre category. I think most people would like to see the sub genres included on both.

Also what's up with the vote count for albums on the charts maxing out at 127?

Last edited by salival13; 06-28-2012 at 01:31 AM.
salival13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #426
Jom
SET UP A PERIMETER~~
Sputnik ModAdmin

I don't know the answer to that second one, but as far as the first is concerned: supposedly the owner is coming back this summer to revamp the site, which includes a purported overhaul of the subgenre system. From what I understand, it will be similar to RYM/last.fm tagging.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #427
Kellerdeck

Make a polling section?
Kellerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #428
FromDaHood
Aldrin Justice

It might be kind of cool to have a "Daily Spotlight" box that features a well-written review for the day like if it's an old album where it wouldn't make sense for it to be featured (I.e. Gyro's Burst Apart review).
FromDaHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #429
mx
Admin

Quote:
Also what's up with the vote count for albums on the charts maxing out at 127?
Will take a look
mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #430
mx
Admin

Quote:
It might be kind of cool to have a "Daily Spotlight" box that features a well-written review for the day like if it's an old album where it wouldn't make sense for it to be featured (I.e. Gyro's Burst Apart review).
This is a good idea, but not sure how this would be selected. It's too much work for the mods to do it, and if users can select it, I'm sure a lot of jokes will show up. I'll think about it.
mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #431
SgtPepper
sigh.

I dont know if anyone has said this yet, but I have a suggestion for the staff blogs.
when you list out new releases could you also mention the artist's genre like:

"Gaza – No Absolutes In Human Suffering [Digital] (Black Market Activities) (Metal)"

But if you think its too much trouble or just simply dont want to do that, then forget it. I just thought id mention it.
SgtPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #432
Deviant.
Hedonistic Jaguar
Sputnik Mod

It's not a bad idea in theory, idk if I (or Trey) could ever be bothered to find out what every release fell under

Plus then there's the obvious question of how specific people would want it to be; is it simply metal, or blackeneddeathgrindcore?

Digging: Calyx and Teebee - FabricLive.76

Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #433
SgtPepper
sigh.

Thanks for answering Dev.
I was looking at the list, and there are so many artists but I never know where to start because I dont know anything about most of them, and posting their genre next to it would help.

Now, yeah there are people who get really obsessive with the "proper" genre label. Again, this was just something I think would help. And I've seen the lists, theyre long and it would be a bitch to go through the whole list trying to figure out the genre of each album. So I understand if you guys dont think its a good idea. Just thought id share.
SgtPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #434
East Hastings
daaaaaang

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I feel like the ellipses following the summaries of the front-page reviews is often super cheesy and kind of degrades the summary the reviewer intended to use to begin with. This probably doesn't help if the summary has text overflow, but if it does fit, it might look a little bit better if the ellipsis was left up to the reviewer's discretion. Just my two cents
East Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #435
WeepingBanana
How does this pays-off.

so it's almost september and albums on the band pages from 2011 still show the release date (as in mm/dd/yyyy) yet 2012 releases don't
WeepingBanana is offline   Reply With Quote