Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #631
Greg.
Staff Reviewer

I totally disagree with you guys. The reviews should be sorted by date. That's the way to go. The rating doesn't really matter. I can't see the reason why it should be so complicated toxin. It's perfect the way it is.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #632
porch

sorting reviews by approval rating is just a terrible idea
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #633
theacademy
the academy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porch View Post
Quote:
agree.

Although how they're sorted is really the subsidiary question: what we need to consider is whether we make people click extra to see lower rated reviews.

i made a list about this right after the format change: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/list.php?memberid=317268&listid=117163

Listing chronologically is not really a perfect solution either imo, but at least it's content-neutral.

Edit: oops didn't see we were talking about approval rating as well... that's a bad idea unless you want to hire a few new meds.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #634
tcat84

Tracklist gone/Replaced with advertising?!

I can't see the tracklisting of any album anymore in a review, I can see if it shows something and then goes away but its always there

This is maddening!

That is all
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #635
Greg.
Staff Reviewer

^ If there are any doubts, this is NOT my alt.

Besides, you can access the tracklist by clicking on the tag 'Tracklist' (once again there's no way I'm responding to myslef now).
Old 02-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #636
toxin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx View Post
I agree that sorting by status/rating makes more sense, but it's a more server intensive query and has the potential to slow things down. I will look into it.
Ah, I didn't think about that.
I was also thinking there should be just some sort of algorithm to determine which user reviews should end up where (based maybe on some weighting of review date, # of votes, and pos/votes ratio) but I'd imagine that would just end up being even more server intensive for something that matters far less.
Still, it's worth throwing the suggestion out there in case you ever free up room on the server for it.

EDIT: I didn't see your guys' posts disagreeing. You guys are free to have your own opinions, of course, but literally I had to scroll one page from some random TDAGARIM review to get to Chan's featured review. It just makes no sense to me logistically not to have Staff, then Contrib as showing up first. And I don't understand what the logic behind having rating date as the only criteria is, beyond that it's not server intensive as mx stated. As for user reviews, whether it should be based on simply date or a combination of other factors (as mentioned in earlier in my post) is a more debatable point imo. Specifically to Greg: It doesn't really "matter" per se, but Sputnik is, after all, somewhat professional. So it just seems logical to order those reviews first, a minute detail though it may be.

DOUBLE EDIT: Re: Approval ratings of a review, I have to disagree with the majority of you guys. I find that my reviews that get over 10 votes inevitably get a ghost neg, for whatever reason. Maybe that should irk me, but I honestly don't think that most of my reviews deserve 100% ratings. I get that an individual vote is simply "good/bad" a la RottenTomatoes, but as an aggregate total, it almost comes to represent how good a review is---just like the RT rating of a movie often is valuable on its own... an 83% movie is generally worse than a 99% one. My best review (which imo is miles better than my other ones) is sitting on 19/19, and it doesn't strike me as a coincidence that it's the one that hasn't been ghost negged (assuming that none of you do it just for the lulz). Sure disagreeing with the hivemind tends to give you skewed approval ratings, but it's kind of a moot point to me since at that point, there most likely is a good review that's also indicative of the general consensus anyways.

Last edited by toxin.; 02-23-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #637
fish.
rgesiterrred usr

I'm getting that shoutbox glitch, can't drop messages

edit: got it working, must be a browser problem

Last edited by fish.; 02-25-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #638
AtomicWaste
At The Dream's Edge

Not necessarily a Sput issue, but when linking reviews to facebook, proper artwork doesn't appear as an option. It's going to the "trending albums" section of the review to fetch the image instead of the album's artwork at the top right now.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #639
porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxin. View Post
Ah, I didn't think about that.
I was also thinking there should be just some sort of algorithm to determine which user reviews should end up where (based maybe on some weighting of review date, # of votes, and pos/votes ratio) but I'd imagine that would just end up being even more server intensive for something that matters far less.
Still, it's worth throwing the suggestion out there in case you ever free up room on the server for it.

EDIT: I didn't see your guys' posts disagreeing. You guys are free to have your own opinions, of course, but literally I had to scroll one page from some random TDAGARIM review to get to Chan's featured review. It just makes no sense to me logistically not to have Staff, then Contrib as showing up first. And I don't understand what the logic behind having rating date as the only criteria is, beyond that it's not server intensive as mx stated. As for user reviews, whether it should be based on simply date or a combination of other factors (as mentioned in earlier in my post) is a more debatable point imo. Specifically to Greg: It doesn't really "matter" per se, but Sputnik is, after all, somewhat professional. So it just seems logical to order those reviews first, a minute detail though it may be.

DOUBLE EDIT: Re: Approval ratings of a review, I have to disagree with the majority of you guys. I find that my reviews that get over 10 votes inevitably get a ghost neg, for whatever reason. Maybe that should irk me, but I honestly don't think that most of my reviews deserve 100% ratings. I get that an individual vote is simply "good/bad" a la RottenTomatoes, but as an aggregate total, it almost comes to represent how good a review is---just like the RT rating of a movie often is valuable on its own... an 83% movie is generally worse than a 99% one. My best review (which imo is miles better than my other ones) is sitting on 19/19, and it doesn't strike me as a coincidence that it's the one that hasn't been ghost negged (assuming that none of you do it just for the lulz). Sure disagreeing with the hivemind tends to give you skewed approval ratings, but it's kind of a moot point to me since at that point, there most likely is a good review that's also indicative of the general consensus anyways.
“auto pos’d bro” votes are as prevalent as the ghost negs everyone talks about and are just as useless in gauging the quality of reviews. pos/neg system is a massive waste of time and your idea would make it even worse because even more people would be asking mods to check if each neg is legit

"disagreeing with the hivemind tends to give you skewed approval ratings"

another reason why approval rating shouldn't have anything to do with sorting reviews
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #640
toxin.

Quote:
“auto pos’d bro” votes are as prevalent as the ghost negs everyone talks about and are just as useless in gauging the quality of reviews. pos/neg system is a massive waste of time and your idea would make it even worse because even more people would be asking mods to check if each neg is legit

"disagreeing with the hivemind tends to give you skewed approval ratings"

another reason why approval rating shouldn't have anything to do with sorting reviews
That's certainly a fair argument. I'd still argue that on average, a review with 100% approval will be of better quality than 80% approval (though 90% approval can swing either way). IMO that's enough of a reason to at least put it under consideration... if the featured review has 80/80 pos's (like rasputin's Animals review or something) from a user, and a user is on a different review, it just seems natural that it should be coded in a manner such that the featured review (which is featured specifically due to being of high caliber) ends up being displayed first. There are many faults with the approval rating, but I still think from a grand point of view, it can still end up being useful to some extent.

On the other hand, I'm already used to the reviews being sorted by date, and only rarely can I not easily find a featured review anyways so it's a moot point.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #641
oubli
mx newbie

Hey there, I just submited a review and I first realized that the cover of the album was broke, and I tried to upload different jpg archives and it just doesnt worked. Then, I realized another problem, the album is duplicated too.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/55441/Mulatu-Astatke-Ethiopiques-4%3A-Ethio-Jazz-%26-Musique-Instrumentale/
Old 03-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #642
Jom
I don't love you anymore.
Sputnik ModAdmin

Fixed it, cheers. The ampersand curse strikes again!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #643
tempest--
where's my burrito

It's not a big issue, but when I hover my mouse over the comments on news articles and reviews, everything gets underlined as if it's a link.
It certainly could be just my browser (Firefox 19.0), I have no idea.

I quickly uploaded a video to show an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYOj95nGXzY

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #644
mx
Admin

Fixed the favorite bands bug.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #645
toxin.

Thanks, mx. Any hope of getting rid of that issue where sometimes there'll be a blank page on review threads? It's of course a minor inconvenience but it'd be nice to land immediately on the last page of the thread.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #646
tiesthatbind
Ezio Auditore

It looks like if the tracklist for an album is long enough, it can make it impossible to exit out of the tracklist viewing page without refreshing or hitting the back button, as well as making it impossible to see all of the tracks. Hit the tracklist button on this, for instance:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/43979/The-Dear-Hunter-The-Color-Spectrum-%28Complete-Collection%29/
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #647
Wish
Administrator
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiesthatbind View Post
It looks like if the tracklist for an album is long enough, it can make it impossible to exit out of the tracklist viewing page without refreshing or hitting the back button, as well as making it impossible to see all of the tracks. Hit the tracklist button on this, for instance:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/43979/The-Dear-Hunter-The-Color-Spectrum-%28Complete-Collection%29/
Press esc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jom View Post
Tell the reviewers to write more.
You can fix that (for individual reviews, admittedly) by adding   a certain amount of times at the end of the review.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #648
toxin.

Esc actually didn't exit out of the tracklist window for me.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #649
Jom
Sputnik ModAdmin

What browser are you using? I know it works on both IE and Firefox.

Quote:

Aww yissss good to know, thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #650
AtomicWaste
At The Dream's Edge

Quote:
What browser are you using? I know it works on both IE and Firefox.
Works on Chrome, too.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #651
toxin.

I'm using Chrome. Hm maybe it's just my Escape key or something.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #652
NocteDominum
Swinging the Dead

You know how you n click on a section of a users pie-chart and it should take you to that specific genre; Just tried the black metal section and got a whole ot of error such and such.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/user/genreindex.php?genreid=48

I tried this and the above came up.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #653
Jom
Sputnik ModAdmin

This is an anticipated bug in lieu of what's to come re: the genre revamping system
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #654
NocteDominum
Swinging the Dead

Quote:
This is an anticipated bug in lieu of what's to come re: the genre revamping system

Ah okay, granted it's the first time I tried getting to the page like that in a while. Cheers.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #655
Jom
Sputnik ModAdmin

I wish I could reveal when the new overhaul is going to debut, but I can assure you it's soon. mx wants to make sure he all of its elements stable and ready to roll so that users can hit the ground running with the new system.

I can confirm that doom metal will be implemented, as well as a distinction between progressive rock vs. progressive metal. Electronic music will be opened up to include important subgenres.

If I reveal the rest... well, that wouldn't be a very fun surprise, now, would it?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #656
Lakes.
Jom Was Right

would it be possible for MX to implement an ignore function for the review site? for example, if you were to set a user to ignore you wouldn't see their comments in any threads they posted in. i would really appreciate such a feature

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #657
HedgeTrimmer
Geo

Hey, I made this account for a friend, and I can log into the forums site fine, but whenever I try to log into the review site, it redirects me to login screen over and over again. I know I've typed the password correctly. Do I need to wait until the account is approved or something or is it a bug?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #658
Jom
Sputnik ModAdmin

What's the username?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #659
HedgeTrimmer
Geo

Nevermind, I worked it out lol

Last edited by HedgeTrimmer; 03-17-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #660
HillaryClitTounge
Hillary Clittongue

wrong album release date

this album was released on Febuary 25th, 2013

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/55768/Killah-Priest-The-Psychic-World-of-Walter-Reed/#lastpost

(its off by a day)
Closed Thread