Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
Jom
I don't love you anymore.
Sputnik ModAdmin

For the Meds (Report Problems, Make Suggestions, Ask Questions, etc.)

It was about that time.

Anyway, if anything from the old thread didn't get rectified, just re-post it here.

Thanks in advance.

---

Some ground rules this time around:

1. If you are reporting a problem user, do more than just write his/her username and something vague (no pun intended) like "is being a big meanie." Post a link or two for us so we don't have to go hunting. Please use the new "report spam" feature on the review site unless the problem is widespread and detailed. It is easier for you guys to report and for us to clean up quickly.

2. If you are asking one review to be flagged over another, make sure you indicate which. Staff and contributor reviews take precedence over any user review.

3. If you honestly have no idea why you were banned, I feel pretty confident that you actually do.

Last edited by morrissey; 09-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
beepbloopbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbloopbeep View Post
or at least let me know how long the ban is for if you dont want to rescind it
okay i posted one picture that wasnt even that bad, have been banned for 3 days and counting, and then there were people spamming pictures and being 'toxic to the community' that only get a weeks ban?

please unban, i just wanna get on with my ratings and reviewing etc

This is to let you know I am not ignoring your posts, but I don't know who banned you and I don't mess with other people's bans. Until that mod appears, use this time to reflect on how heavily this punishment is weighing on you - now you'll never ever do it again, right?

Last edited by morrissey; 09-27-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Zip
The hated one

Is relentlessly labeling everyone fag considered homophobic?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Winsomniac
Literarily the würst

Got one of my lists that was digs and actually had a bit of musical discussion IN IT deleted today and would like an explanation. Sorry if it sounds rude, I just want to know how the rules work because seeing tons of sports/TMF-related/SputnikFriends lists go untouched seems to be a bit of a double standard. There was also minimal trolling(a few random unconstructive comments but that's about it) and almost no direct verbal attacking of any user(a few of us poked fun at each other, but no one got huttburt and there was no flaming, just a random delete.)
Old 09-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
morrissey
Pictoral Pontification
Supermod

What was the list?

Also feel free to report any lists which cross the line.

Some self-moderation from the userbase (like not posting non-music lists) would be just swell, of course.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Winsomniac
Literarily the würst

I called it "Judge the Person Above You" simply to get more people to click on it, but the list description explained that I am interested in psychology and simply wanted to see users perceptions of other users. There was absolutely no arguing, it was generally well received by my peers, the actual list was of 5 bands(and my respective favorite albums by those bands) who are often misperceived, whether it be due to their fanbase, genre, or prevalent opinions about them, but are actually quite good. Me and a few other users even discussed said bands; hell, I recommended music on that list. It just really upsets me that it would get randomly deleted, no warning no heads up, no follow-up reason, nothing.

And on the note of self-moderating, frankly I like the idea itself but am personally against it simply because I know very well that I'm just a user and unless I'm not just a user, I don't want to be overstepping my explicit bounds. Also because I'm still fairly new and confused about what exactly the rules are.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Channing
puked of how good it was

self moderating just means don't do anything stupid
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
morrissey
Pictoral Pontification
Supermod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuslaves View Post
lol

This whole 'don't post non-music lists' thing is so much horseshit. Yeah, the world's gonna crack into pieces because I want to discuss something other than music on the review site (since it's completely isolated from the very inaccessible forums). Really, who gives a fuck? Who? Who the fuck is offended or disgusted by something other than music being discussed on the reviews site. Unbelievable.
Use the General Discussion/Pit forum on mx. This is a music website. We give a ton of leeway with lists... if you make a modicum of effort to include music on your list 99% of the time we will let it stand because who cares. If you don't bother to include any music content or are offensively blatant about the inappropriateness of your list on a music website, I will regretfully nuke your endeavour. We're not big meanies; it's a music website not facebook. Lists appear on the front page and are seen by all comers. We don't let you review your breakfast or math teacher either so let's be reasonable.

Last edited by morrissey; 09-27-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
morrissey
Pictoral Pontification
Supermod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsomniac View Post
I called it "Judge the Person Above You" simply to get more people to click on it, but the list description explained that I am interested in psychology and simply wanted to see users perceptions of other users. There was absolutely no arguing, it was generally well received by my peers, the actual list was of 5 bands(and my respective favorite albums by those bands) who are often misperceived, whether it be due to their fanbase, genre, or prevalent opinions about them, but are actually quite good. Me and a few other users even discussed said bands; hell, I recommended music on that list. It just really upsets me that it would get randomly deleted, no warning no heads up, no follow-up reason, nothing.

And on the note of self-moderating, frankly I like the idea itself but am personally against it simply because I know very well that I'm just a user and unless I'm not just a user, I don't want to be overstepping my explicit bounds. Also because I'm still fairly new and confused about what exactly the rules are.
Feel free to start it again. I recommend not getting upset about it; coming to talk to us with a level head about it is always the best solution.

Self-moderation means exactly that. Think to yourself before you post. Is it music related? Is it constructive and beneficial to the community? Is it likely to be deleted or see you get banned? Yes + Yes+ No = all we are asking for.

(General) you guys complain about the quality of new users etc. but it's no wonder considering the example being set by 75% of our active userbase.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Bitchfork
Banned

May I inquire as to why my ratings were deleted? I didn't troll rate anything and I didn't rate anything that wasn't released yet, so I'm relatively upset that my 911 ratings are down the toilet.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Knott-
registered drug user

would be sweet if http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/39264/Jimmy-Eat-World-Invented/ got a feature some time early this week

edit literally in awe at the speed thank you!

It's an important record. I knew I wanted to feature it... it's just that I had a long day and didn't get to it as quickly as I would have liked.

Last edited by Jom; 09-28-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Electric City
list is shit, lol butts

if i can ask the specifics of why chambered got banned

not complaining i just think its hilarious

he started posting paragraph-length gibberish about cocks and lumbar punctures, I was going to save the quote but opted not to give him the satisfaction

Last edited by morrissey; 09-27-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
Satellite

Why did my list get deleted? It was--at the very least--vaguely music-related.

no it really wasn't. At least pretend they're digs or albums you have heard of or pretty covers...give us something to work with.

Last edited by morrissey; 09-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
Bitchfork
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric City View Post
if i can ask the specifics of why chambered got banned

not complaining i just think its hilarious

he started posting paragraph-length gibberish about cocks and lumbar punctures, I was going to save the quote but opted not to give him the satisfaction
Awe I actually needed to talk to him.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Tyler
twitter.com/#!/tylrmunro

So use AIM or facebook. Or the forums.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Bitchfork
Banned

That's actually what I was going to ask him - what's his AIM/FB and so on. And then I had something else to ask him but I guess I'll have to wait a little bit.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Channing
puked of how good it was

hereticanthem550

there you go
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #18
Tyler
twitter.com/#!/tylrmunro

Also, shout-boxes exist.

Sorry for the clutter, Dave.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #19
Channing
puked of how good it was

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Hot-Cross/1306/ - splits should be under a separate band page, delete

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Aziz-Ansari/17189/ - comedian, delete

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Anal-Cunt/22014/ - fucking delete, someone adds this like twice a year

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Alias-%26amp;amp;-Tarsier/19778/ - delete

k

Last edited by morrissey; 09-28-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
Channing
puked of how good it was

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Ben-Harper-%26amp;-Relentless-7/16991/ - delete no point merging with the non-ampersand one since there's only two votes and who cares anyways

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bill-Hicks/17884/ - wow

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Birdman-%26amp;-Lil-Wayne/21643/ - delete

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Black-Joe-Lewis-%26amp;amp;-The-Honeybears/21309/ - delete there is another entry that isn't fucked

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Buzzoven/16085/ - as the man says, "See other profile spelt Buzzov-en. Sorry for confusion but didn't know how to fix this myself."

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bushido-(Aus)/11689/
http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bushido-[AUS]/10652/ - take your pick about what to do with these pointless entries

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bohren-%26amp;-Der-Club-Of-Gore/20006/
http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bohren-%26amp;amp;-Der-Club-Of-Gore/13598/ - i love when there are three entries for a band

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Borat/4525/ - delete

http://sputnikmusic.com/bands/Breaking--The-fourth-Wall/13275/ - delete, another nonfucked entry exists

Haha, what the hell? Is there really a band named Borat?

Last edited by Jom; 09-28-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #21
chambered89

omg lol never drink and go on sputnik! sorry for being ridiculous :/

no worries I figured it was a one-off.

Last edited by morrissey; 09-28-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #22
beepbloopbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbloopbeep View Post
okay i posted one picture that wasnt even that bad, have been banned for 3 days and counting, and then there were people spamming pictures and being 'toxic to the community' that only get a weeks ban?

please unban, i just wanna get on with my ratings and reviewing etc

This is to let you know I am not ignoring your posts, but I don't know who banned you and I don't mess with other people's bans. Until that mod appears, use this time to reflect on how heavily this punishment is weighing on you - now you'll never ever do it again, right?
okay every single mod has posted here since my orignal post and still no response from he who banned, js
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #23
Jesuslaves
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrissey View Post
Use the General Discussion/Pit forum on mx.
1) I've been on the review site for over a year now (about 90% of the people on the review site don't even touch the forums), sue me for being interested in what these guys think about something other than music, and wanting (and succeeding, until you got trigger happy) to have a good discussion about it. What a fucked up idea, huh?

2) I don't know a single person who posts on the forums and really don't feel like integrating myself into a new community instead of having an afternoon's worth of discussion with people whose opinions I might actually give a shit about. That's a pretty dumb suggestion.

Quote:
This is a music website. We give a ton of leeway with lists...
Yeah. Fav/least fav sputnikers? Yup. Recent breakups? Yup. Obvious trolling? Yup. List about the upcoming basketball season? THIS IZ OFFENZIFE N UNAXEPTIBEL!!!

Give me a fucking break.

Quote:
if you make a modicum of effort to include music on your list 99% of the time we will let it stand because who cares.
Look at that, the bottom line of this useless ticky-tack garbage.

Quote:
If you don't bother to include any music content or are offensively blatant about the inappropriateness of your list on a music website, I will regretfully nuke your endeavour.
Yeah, having some NBA discussion was totally inappropriate and blatantly offensive. What a joke.

Quote:
We're not big meanies; it's a music website not facebook.
I don't treat it like facebook. Not many of us do. I don't think you're 'meanies' for enforcing an incredibly bullshit little rule like this, I think you're either just stupid or honestly don't have a single better thing to do with yourself than nix anything that isn't music related, no matter how interesting or discussion-worthy it is, for no reason at all other than to do it.

Quote:
Lists appear on the front page and are seen by all comers.
So fucking what. Any 'comer' who's turned off or offended by the existence of a basketball list instead of a generic music one that's been made a million times before, not only doesn't have an opinion worth considering, but should also probably be shot in the head for being a nazi cuntrag.

Quote:
We don't let you review your breakfast or math teacher either so let's be reasonable.
Obvious non-sequitor.

Last edited by Jesuslaves; 09-28-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #24
Knott-
registered drug user

I have an idea maybe you should get some friends and talk to them about basketball.

Or go to a basketball website if that's too much hassle :O
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #25
morrissey
Pictoral Pontification
Supermod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuslaves View Post
1) I've been on the review site for over a year now (about 90% of the people on the review site don't even touch the forums), sue me for being interested in what these guys think about something other than music, and wanting (and succeeding, until you got trigger happy) to have a good discussion about it. What a fucked up idea, huh?

2) I don't know a single person who posts on the forums and really don't feel like integrating myself into a new community instead of having an afternoon's worth of discussion with people whose opinions I might actually give a shit about. That's a pretty dumb suggestion.

Yeah. Fav/least fav sputnikers? Yup. Recent breakups? Yup. Obvious trolling? Yup. List about the upcoming basketball season? THIS IZ OFFENZIFE N UNAXEPTIBEL!!!

Give me a fucking break.

Look at that, the bottom line of this useless ticky-tack garbage.

Yeah, having some NBA discussion was totally inappropriate and blatantly offensive. What a joke.

I don't treat it like facebook. Not many of us do. I don't think you're 'meanies' for enforcing an incredibly bullshit little rule like this, I think you're either just stupid or honestly don't have a single better thing to do with yourself than nix anything that isn't music related, no matter how interesting or discussion-worthy it is, for no reason at all other than to do it.

So fucking what. Any 'comer' who's turned off or offended by the existence of a basketball list instead of a generic music one that's been made a million times before, not only doesn't have an opinion worth considering, but should also probably be shot in the head for being a nazi cuntrag.

Obvious non-sequitor.
SPUTNIKMUSIC.

Cheers and enjoy your day.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #26
morrissey
Pictoral Pontification
Supermod

You continue to miss the entire point which is that if you had said basically anything other than "these aren't digs just random shit so this list doesn't get deleted" or however your sharp mind constructed that quip, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Try harder.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
Jesuslaves
hi

You have no answer for what I said, so just throw up 'SPUTNIKMUSIC'. Very typical moderation.

That 'quip' is irrelevant, since the whole idea of the list getting deleted because it doesn't feature music as it's central premise is pure BS, for reasons I've already said. I'm guessing that you know that though, otherwise you'd actually bother refuting what I said, instead of just going 'BECUZ I SED SO' like your average smug mod with no life and a happy trigger finger.

Last edited by Jesuslaves; 09-28-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
Spec
••••••

There's some random album here listed as other with one rating.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Bring-Me-The-Horizon/2346/
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #29
Jesuslaves
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave de Sylvia View Post
It's not that your list was the worst thing ever (I didn't see it but from what I've read it wasn't pure evil).
Basketball discussion isn't often pure evil.

Quote:
The purpose of lists is to talk about music and we want to keep the focus on music. We're not particularly interested in policing everything you talk about, so the minimum requirement we've put down is that you make a music list and after that you can basically talk about what you want.
What do you mean by 'policing'? Pure music discussion is just as likely to boil over into WW3 as anything else we're likely to talk about on there, be it personal shit or politics or sports or whatever. If anything music is the most flammable topic, since everyone joined there in the first place because they're passionate about music. I can understand keeping porn and shit off the site though in the interest of decency, but filtering out everyday topics just for the hell of it is so pointless.

Having the 'start with a music list and talk about whatever you want after' makes absolutely zero sense to me, especially since morrissey canned my list that DID have music on it (just not my favorites, the 'quip' she's dryhumping was tongue-in-cheek and a response to other shit getting deleted) and talked about something entirely different in the comments section. I really don't know why you'd bother enforcing that, since the music on the list isn't being discussed at all, even though it's apparently the most important thing to you guys.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that you don't feel like taking the discussion elsewhere but it's not really our problem and, to be honest, making you a little bit upset is a small price to pay for keeping the list section focused on music. People are going to talk about other things but this way we at least ensure people put a minimum amount of effort into upholding that standard.
For who? For what? What is the point of all this? What 'standard' needs to be upheld? Are people actually going to be turned off by non music discussion in a user created list? If they are, as I said, they probably don't have an opinion worth much, if anything.

Last edited by Jesuslaves; 09-28-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #30
Jesuslaves
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave de Sylvia View Post
You seem to have some mental block on the word "music".
And you guys have a mental block on the idea of a 'community'. When you post with the same general group of people for over a year, you tend to be curious about what they think about other stuff. Sue me.

Quote:
We have an entire section of the website explicitly designed for people who want to talk about things other than music. Here's the NBA thread where all the people who like the NBA gather to talk about the NBA. I'm sure you'll find something to talk about. If you can't handle that then having a list deleted is really the least of your problems.
Nice try, but I'm already registered on a basketball website. I would strictly keep it there, but as I said, I'm interested in what people here think about it as well. You know, the review site people, the ones I actually interact with. Not the forum people, which are total strangers to me. We actually did have a perfectly civil, decent discussion going until you canned it for no reason other than to uphold some ridiculous 'standard'.

The fact that this is an issue with you guys just blows my mind.
Closed Thread