Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Modern Iconoclast
Banana Sticker

Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD 280?

So I'm looking to get a new pair of studio headphones for mixing and I've narrowed it down to the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sennheiser HD 280. The problem is there's nowhere reasonably close by where I can go and check them out for myself so I'm lookin' for some help. Just judging from the specs they seem to be fairly similar. The Sennheisers appear to be about $40 cheaper so if the AT's aren't a lot better I'll most likely go with the Sennheisers. Anyone have any experience with either of these?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
DANGERwildMATT

I've used both. The Senn's are better. They're flatter, which is what you want for mixing I'd assume. =]
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
ares
Expirator

I recently bought the M50s to replace a pair of ATH-M30s (which I like better), they have good isolation but sound like ****.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
power_lutin
LE NOUVEAU RÉSEAU

What?

**** you guys, the M50's are awesome
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
mistermikev

ears and eyes are so subjective... the only thing that matters is specs.

I replaced a pair of akg's with ath-m40s a while back (more than ten years ago). At the time the at set had better specs than anything in it's price range. they were all pretty close but the freq range on this set was a nipple hair wider... so I went with them. I think my old akg's sounded just as good... but these were def more comfy and when u r wearin' em' 8 hrs straight that will make a huge dif.

My akg's lasted about 2 years and i blew a driver... I've had these at's since 1999... will probably buy a new pair soon just bcuz they are gettin a bit ratty... but the drivers still work just fine!

oh, and I constantly throw them on my desk when I loose at madden football.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
ares
Expirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermikev View Post
ears and eyes are so subjective... the only thing that matters is specs.
To an extent, but you miss that the "specs" listed for most gear don't describe how it sounds. Frequency range is much less important than frequency response. If you look at the frequency response for the ATH-M50s, it is clearly not a flat frequency response (with a ~6dB bass boost and multiple large deviations in the highs).
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
mistermikev

I don't believe I alluded to a comparison between ath-m50s and anything else... was only saying that the ath-m40's(different model... the model I have experience with) were comparably better to the akg k-100s I had owned in the past... and actually I said range, but I MEANT freq response.

ath-m40's: Frequency Response: 5 - 28,000 Hz
akg k-100:Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 28000 Hz

edit: oops added a xtra k in there...

Last edited by mistermikev; 10-30-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Modern Iconoclast
Banana Sticker

The guys over at the Andy Sneap forums are recommending the AT's hands down. They said the Sennheisers have great isolation but lack bass response and are to heavy in the highs so they're better for using while tracking but the AT's are much better for mixing which is what I'll be using them for. The AT's seem to last longer too which is good 'cause I'll probably be using these for quite a while. I also found the AT's on Ebay for around $100 so the price isn't a factor anymore. Thanks for the help fellas.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
Jhaatwt
Beeoeeppbebebeeooeeppp

Before you buy those, look into Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros. Frequency response of 5 - 35,000 Hz. Very flat, and extremely good bass response. The actual speakers inside of the headphones are offset from your ear so your ears don't get all tired and crap after long periods of mixing. And they're really comfy. Just an idea.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Det_Nosnip
Mortals Watch the Day

Andy Sneap has forums? Badass...might have to check that out.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Modern Iconoclast
Banana Sticker

Yup, right here.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/