Old 11-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
FrankDeets
mx newbie

Improvisation

Hey yall do we have any improvisors here? If so I want to talk with you. How often do you improvise? and what exercises do you have for practicing improvisation?
FrankDeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
SugarCoatedSour
Numba 1 fukki

hoy. I improvise as my main means of playing...so I may be branded more a player than a musician. Even though I'd love to run the contrary on that one and be a capable and supportive musician: I've only recently picked up a bit of basic theory (lots of time constraints)

Last edited by SugarCoatedSour; 11-15-2014 at 01:09 PM.
SugarCoatedSour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
SugarCoatedSour
Numba 1 fukki

Recently I've had a bit of mileage playing around a single chord. I'd just play your standard major/minor barre chord and at first attack it from different sides of the scale, starting on different notes of the scale, trying out natminor/harmonic/melodic, seeing which degrees give what effect.

Also working with a bare technical approach often helps me conjure up some ideas. I like to use string-skipping and arpeggiate chord shapes. Playing with different intervals is also fun, moving them around the neck...using different intervals to outline scale shapes.

I've always been a very loose and air-headed player and so I've only recently decided to slow down and gauge the connectivity of my ideas...slow is best and making sure there are no hitches between one note to another, finding your trouble spots and figuring out how to keep them relaxed but flowing in-context.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
FrankDeets
mx newbie

Kool I am doing some experimentation on my bass and exploring the percussive sounds on the instrument.
FrankDeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
SugarCoatedSour
Numba 1 fukki

that's good stuff, nothing better than exploring a bit...bass is like that too: it's not so much about travelling around the neck as it is varying your dynamics with a limited amount of notes.