Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Rugby World Cup 2011 (Official Rugby Thread)

Not expecting many rugby fans in here really, but thought I'd cast a line anyway.

So, I'd like to talk with anyone else who likes rugby!

Mauro Bergamasco at scrum half for Italy, that's a bit of a risk.

Last edited by Pastorius; 02-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Pastorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Squirrel
(/' ~ )

I know nothing about Rugby at all, but I enjoy watching good international matches.

Rooting for England, obviously
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

I hope Goode and Ellis play well, but I want them to lose in spectacular fashion xD
Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

lol@ england
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Should be a good game aye. To be honest, Wales look a good bet to win it again this year.

England looked pretty bad despite the 5 try victory. 4 of them were just taking advantage of terrible Italy play.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
gaslight
Some place better

England will be happy to come away with their first win in a while, monstering (scoreboard wise) Italy who were hampered a fair bit by MB's errors.

I'm tipping Wales to take it out this year and I'm really looking forward to checking out all the games, this will be the first time I've ever properly followed the 6 Nations tournament.

I'm not sure who to back in Ireland v France, it's not as clear cut a matter as England v Italy was. What do you guys reckon? I'm leaning to Ireland myself.

Quite looking forward to the Scots v the Welsh when it happens (2 in the morning on Monday in my timezone).
gaslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
gaslight
Some place better

Haha nice. We'll see if it holds.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney Diva View Post
Every time Wales are favourite they end up losing three matches.

It's the logic of the 6 Nations and it never fails.
Ha, this much is quite true. But this time we're looking the strongest squad, you've got to admit.

England will be happy with the win, but depending on what happens tomorrow with Wales Scotland, may be quite worried that they are looking slightly toothless in the backs.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Fantastic try by Heaslip.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

It was an amazing match wasn't it, I couldn't take my eyes off it, and Heaslip was indeed incredible, I agree with that statement.

Let's hope Wales start the tournament with a big one against Scotland.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Ouch man, ouch.

A masterclass in how not to tackle from the Scots. This is ours.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
gaslight
Some place better

Looking set for a Welsh win, though they'd have posted a much bigger score if their kicking had been on song.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Yep, but we are looking absolutely fantastic.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
gaslight
Some place better

Yeah you've pretty well routed the Scots at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more points in it yet for Wales. Though being a man down they'd be equally impressive to still not concede a try.

EDIT: Jinx =\
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

You bastard.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
gaslight
Some place better

My bad. I saved that second one though.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
gaslight
Some place better

Holy crap, haven't seen England on the good side of an arse kicking for some time.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

My lord, I do not want to read the arse licking England are gonna get in the papers tomorrow
Old 03-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

Yeah the Scots have put in a good showing this 6 nations, really stalwart performances, even if their handling has been off
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #20
Smokey D

Question: why do we persist with the idea that Italy is good enough to match the other 5 countries?
Smokey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #21
gaslight
Some place better

You have to let developing teams play with the more elite sides, it grows the sport internationally.

Having Italy play in the 6 Nations is the same kind of the thing as what they're trying to do with getting Argentina in on the Tri-Nations, which would make it the Four Nations I suppose (I doubt Quad-Nations would catch on), and with the efforts to try and get a Pacific Islands team into the future Super 15/16/whatever it ends up being.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
Smokey D

Okay but Argentina actually beats people.

It seems to me that losing consistently is not the way to build the sport. Whenever my team loses regularly, I get turned off (lol who am my kidding my team doesn't lose regularly).
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #23
gaslight
Some place better

And hopefully Argentina will beat more people when they get a chance to play at a higher level more .

I mean, Italy may not be amazing but they'd probably smash Georgia.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #24
Smokey D

Argentina at least in its current form definitely has the skill to contest on a higher stage. I dunno about their depth long term but maybe. But realistically I would not expect them to be much more successful against the Tri-Nations sides than Italy is against the old Five Nations.

But there is a real risk that failure to perform against the stronger sides will harm the game rather than build it. And as Italy shows, simply playing at a higher level internationally does not automatically lead better performances. I'm not familiar with Italy's domestic game, but intuitively I doubt it's very well developed.
There is some suggestion about including Argentina in the Tri-Nations and Super Rugby competions but it's unlikely to happen until after the UAR institutes professionalism, which they don't seemed inclined to do at the moment.

Anyway, the point of all this is to say that we should be wary of expanding high level international competitions just for the sake of growing the game if there is reason to doubt the newbies can match the quality of the competition.

Also, good on England for playing like they did. That Celtic crowing was getting annoying. Also, curse of the Grand Slam strikes Wales again. Har.

Last edited by Smokey D; 03-16-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #25
gaslight
Some place better

Last I heard it was not if but when as regards Argentina joining the Tri-Nations, but yeah they'll be lucky to notch up many wins in it.

Thing is they're kind of in a grey area, because they'd likely dominate most of the Super rugby teams, at least if they were fielding their 2007 RWC side which obviously they wouldn't be, but still.

Very tough to find the right place to play teams who are a cut above domestic fair but a cut below the international heavyweights. Maybe there should be the old 5 nations and then 5 Other Nations or something.

Totally looking forward to Ireland v Wales, that'll be (literally) the match of the tournament.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #26
Smokey D

Quote:
Last I heard it was not if but when as regards Argentina joining the Tri-Nations, but yeah they'll be lucky to notch up many wins in it.
There's all sorts of shenanigans going on with SANZAR at the moment. For a while it looked like Argentina was a shoe in, but currently it looks like the most likely non-Tri-Nations candidate is some weird Japanese-expat amalgam.

Quote:
Thing is they're kind of in a grey area, because they'd likely dominate most of the Super rugby teams, at least if they were fielding their 2007 RWC side which obviously they wouldn't be, but still.
All of Argentina's best players play in Europe and I can't see them being enticed back from their million dollar contracts by a relatively poor barely professional union; I think we can assume Argentina wouldn't be fielding its 2007 RWC team.

Quote:
Very tough to find the right place to play teams who are a cut above domestic fair but a cut below the international heavyweights. Maybe there should be the old 5 nations and then 5 Other Nations or something.
Yeah I was trying to think who'd be in it. Italy, Argentina (who would probably dominate), Japan, Tonga and Samoa?

Quote:
Totally looking forward to Ireland v Wales, that'll be (literally) the match of the tournament.
Should be a cracker. Go Wales.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #27
gaslight
Some place better

Yeah indeed, one of the main things against the UAR turning professional is it probably can't afford the best Argentinians. It'd certainly test the depth of rugby there.

Yeah I dunno who exactly my 5 Other Nations would be, maybe, Italy, Argentina, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji. Japan. In which case I suppose it'd be 6 More Nations instead.

An interesting thing would be a champions league kinda thing with union teams. I'd be more into it as a novelty than as a serious realistic tournament though. Ah well, that's what videogames are for I suppose.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #28
Smokey D

Based on the current form of Super 14 teams, I reckon European teams would dominate. Maybe SA too.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #29
gaslight
Some place better

Yeah, not a lot of consistent greatness in Super 14 at the moment. Should have picked up a lot by the third quarter of the season though.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Pastorius
BEAT KIDS

It's pretty simple though innit, competition against better opponents forces your team to get better. Italy now have many players in top level leagues, and their forwards are great. Castrogiovanni for example, is one of the best props out there. (I am a Tigers fan though)