Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #11041
Aaron
Max Headroom

I've never fired a gun, or seen one in real life.

EDIT: In review of local websites, if I were to own one it'd be a Steyr HS-50 M1 BMG.

Last edited by Aaron; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #11042
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

"The U.S. Coast Guard uses .50 BMG rifles to disable outboard engines from armed helicopters during interdictions"

Like having your own artillery pressed to your shoulder haha
Jeffs Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #11043
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

Anti-materiel rifles are epic
Drum Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #11044
Vinnie's Ice Cream
You want some ice cream!?

Ya, a .50 cal would be nice. Too bad ammo is like $8 a round and it requires a spotter to use effectively. Easy enough to buy here. They got like 4 Barrett .50 cal's at the place I go.

For soft tissue humans though, pretty much anything works. I've seen people cower at rubber bands....

I always figured a pair of marching sticks in my hands would be pretty formidable.
Vinnie's Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #11045
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

Ralph Hardimon Kali edition
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #11046
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

Ralph Hardimons would mess anybody up. So glad we played MS3's when I was in marching band. Still beefy but not too beefy.
Seafroggys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #11047
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

tbh, if i was gonna own a gun it'd be a MK23
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #11048
Vinnie's Ice Cream

ya well... my USP 40 was already a grand and a MK23 is like 1400 for the base model.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #11049
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

There are a lot of cool guns out there but it doesn't matter much if you can't afford to shoot and practice. Get something you can load up and get good with otherwise it's all show and no go. Shoot the same ammo the same gun over and over and over. Just like anything that takes skill consistency is the key.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #11050
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

I shoot bitches in a Firefly RPG that I'm playing with a bunch of friends. It feels satisfying in an odd sort of way, and I hate guns irl.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #11051
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

Firefly? I haven't heard of that one
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #11052
Aaron
Max Headroom

There's something about bolt-action rifles that appeals to me, idk why.

Last edited by Aaron; 03-11-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #11053
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie's Ice Cream View Post
ya well... my USP 40 was already a grand and a MK23 is like 1400 for the base model.
I'm English, we can't have guns anyway. I was just saying that if i could have any gun and money wasn't an issue, it'd be the MK23. Even then, it's only because Solid Snake had one
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #11054
Vinnie's Ice Cream

You can't have guns in England? What about for hunting?

Ammo prices is why I got the P22. .22LR is still like 2.5 cents a round. Where as the cheapest .40 I can find is 60 cents a round

I have been researching how to get a suppressor for the P22, since it's got the threaded barrel on it already. Apparently it's not to hard to get one in Colorado, just looks like a bunch of ATF paperwork abd a 2-4 month processing wait.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #11055
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

We can have hunting shotguns so long as they don't hold more than two cartridges. Rifles are dependent on a very strict license and can only be single shot, lever action, bolt action or a revolver rifle.

Hell, our Olympic shooting team has to practice overseas due to the fact pistols are totally illegal here

At the end of the day, we have 0.07 firearm based homicides per 100,000 people as opposed to the USAs 3.0
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #11056
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

Bolt actions are sexy, admittingly.

As far as the Firefly RPG, its not a Firefly RPG exactly, its the Savage Worlds rulebook, but its a very modular system so it can take place anywhere you want....my gaming group just happens to be playing in the Firefly universe.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #11057
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

It would be nice to have people like that to play rpg's with. You never see that stuff around here, only tight knit comic shop community that's it.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #11058
TimJim
puketim in my shoesies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I've never fired a gun, or seen one in real life.

EDIT: In review of local websites, if I were to own one it'd be a Steyr HS-50 M1 BMG.
Aaron my man when you come to Michigan I will show you how to America.
TimJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #11059
TimJim
puketim in my shoesies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Phil View Post
We can have hunting shotguns so long as they don't hold more than two cartridges. Rifles are dependent on a very strict license and can only be single shot, lever action, bolt action or a revolver rifle.

Hell, our Olympic shooting team has to practice overseas due to the fact pistols are totally illegal here

At the end of the day, we have 0.07 firearm based homicides per 100,000 people as opposed to the USAs 3.0
Downside is that you get to deal with knife crime instead. http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

Quote:
In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #11060
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

It’s better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #11061
TimJim
puketim in my shoesies

All gun laws do is make it harder/impossible for law abiding citizens to get guns, criminals are going break the law and get one anyways.

Switzerland allows its citizens to keep their fully automatic rifles after they complete their stint in the army and they allow open carry. There was one instance of someone shooting up a mall, and they killed two people before they were mowed down by half a dozen citizens who were ready to defend themselves.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #11062
Seafroggys
Truffula Hugger

The sad thing is, many "law-abiding citizens" who want to own a weapon look for excuses to shoot someone. Its rather sociopathic.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #11063
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

Switzerland really is a great model, they have been the same way forever with an almost nil crime rate. If you've got someone who really is out to kill people they'll find a way. A fertilizer bomb can take out a hell of a lot more people than any firearm ever could.

It's a shame guns get such a bad rap. There's a lot of responsibility and character building you can get from taking care of a gun and going out practicing. Not to mention the history behind them for any country that is free.

Last edited by Jeffs Carrot; 03-12-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #11064
TimJim
puketim in my shoesies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
The sad thing is, many "law-abiding citizens" who want to own a weapon look for excuses to shoot someone. Its rather sociopathic.
There are over 300 million guns in the USA and only 3 deaths per 100,000 involving guns. Obviously gun owners are sociopaths.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #11065
Vinnie's Ice Cream

^Not to mention half of all gun deaths in the US are suicides. So it's really 1.5 homicides per 100,000. Slight difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs Carrot View Post
It's a shame guns get such a bad rap. There's a lot of responsibility and character building you can get from taking care of a gun and going out practicing. Not to mention the history behind them for any country that is free.
I agree 100% with this.

If you come to America you should be scared. Really. REALLY scared. Not of guns or violence, that's really the least of your worries.

It's the cars. Specifically the Drivers. Over 40,000 people are killed every year in the US from car "accidents" (now termed traffic collisions).

Here's a clear issue, an epidemic that is killing 10's of 1,000's of people a year. 1,000's of children a year.

And gun control is really going to make the country safer?!

I drive a lifted truck for the same reason I have guns around - stupid people. However the overwhelming odds are my truck will save my life from some stupid person and I'll probably never have to use a weapon in defense.

I just scored the IC Lever Glide double pedal, brand new with the plastic still on them in the case for $250.

This is only the 2nd double pedal I've bought in my lifetime. My first was a DW5000 when I was 15.
Every 15 years ain't bad right? Particularly considering the number of hours on the 1st set.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #11066
Drum Phil
Mine is an evil laugh

Our gun laws work, for the most part. The only gun crimes are committed by people who slip through the cracks and get licenses for weapons when they shouldn't have them. I can't recall the last time an illegally acquired firearm was used in a murder.

And TimJim, if you want to play the "Twice as likely to get stabbed in England than shot in the US" game, look at the overall homicide statistics.

UK: 1.6 homicides per 100,000 citizens
USA: 5.9 Homicides per 100,000 citizens

Three times as likely to be murdered in the states than in the UK.

And Jos, suicide isn't a homicide >_< That statistic wasn't based on death but on murder
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #11067
Steffanwolf

Switzerland also has extremely good education, social programs for the poor and the mentally ill, and high overall welfare as well as a higher general level of security. Also although a lot of people keep their guns after being in the army, it's much more difficult to get unregistered weapons in Europe.

I'm all for keeping hunting equipment and small arms for self defence in your home. I don't think people should be able to carry guns on them at all times without extensive training. I also don't believe the ''if the good guys all had guns the bad guys would get stopped faster" nonsense. The exceedingly few cases where a civilian has intervened have gone terribly wrong as many times as they have succeeded. The few people who have managed to 'neutralize the threat' all had gun training (ex military, law enforcement etc.)

I grew up around guns, I was taught how to use guns, but most importantly to respect the hell out of guns. I think it should be hard to get your hands on firearms, because there are a lot of unstable people out there, and a lot of well meaning people that don't know the first thing about handling a weapon - or why they should respect it.
Steffanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #11068
Jeffs Carrot
Super Show

That helps a lot.

Most of the people who are against guns never even fired one before or know anything about them. Almost everyone drives, and at anytime you can cross the center line and kill someone if you chose to. The same is true for a gun. Respect what it is and you'll never have a problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #11069
TimJim
puketim in my shoesies

The pussification of the human race and the over protectiveness of modern day parents causes things like that. They're beginning to wonder if too sanitary of conditions during early childhood could be a cause for autism.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #11070
Vinnie's Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum Phil View Post
And Jos, suicide isn't a homicide >_< That statistic wasn't based on death but on murder
I dunno, you'd have to look into it. In the US suicides are counted as a sub-group of homicides sometimes. For instance in the city I live, at the end of the year they put out the stats for crime, the total number of murders includes suicides.

Additionally you can't just look at flat out numbers, because that's stupid. How many shooting deaths are gang related? How many are drug related? Most of them.
When you look at actual random violent crime, it's a pretty tiny percentage of the overall picture. Since I don't hang out in gangland at 1am in baggy clothes... the odds of me getting shot are pretty slim.

There were 20 people killed last year in the city I live in by guns. All of them happened late at night/early morning, in bad areas of town, usually involving alcohol and most were of known street or biker gang association.

As I mentioned, you have a lot higher probability of getting killed in a car accident - which IS random for the most part - then anything else.

Last edited by Vinnie's Ice Cream; 03-13-2013 at 01:09 AM.