Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
adrianman
it aint easy bein' cheezy

BBE Green Screamer Or Ibanez Tubescreamer?

ive been playing with my band recently and i realised the sound of my boss ds-1 wont cut it so im saving my pennies to buy an overdrive much like the tubescreamer (cause i really dont need that much gain) so i looked at the models they offer, ts7, ts9, ts808. but then i saw a bbe pedal called Green Screamer. looks much durable and apparantly to some people sounds better than the original tubecreamers.

so the question is has anyone had experience with bbe pedals? would you consider the green screamer over the tubescreamer?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
mistermikev

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianman View Post
ive been playing with my band recently and i realised the sound of my boss ds-1 wont cut it so im saving my pennies to buy an overdrive much like the tubescreamer (cause i really dont need that much gain) so i looked at the models they offer, ts7, ts9, ts808. but then i saw a bbe pedal called Green Screamer. looks much durable and apparantly to some people sounds better than the original tubecreamers.

so the question is has anyone had experience with bbe pedals? would you consider the green screamer over the tubescreamer?

don't have any first hand knowledge of a bbe pedal but can tell u that the tubescreamer is one of the all time greats. Many designs have been based on this pedal... for instance, some say the boss sd-1 is no more than a tubescreamer with a diff type of clipping... and the fulltone fulldrive is supposed to be a specifically modified 'rendition' of the basic ts circuit...
way huge swollen pickle too...
my point is why not start at the source and get a ts-9... especially if the bbe is based on the tubescreamer (isn't the green screamer a ring modulator effect? ).
Old 02-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
mnemonic
Drink Water

the ts7 and ts9 are exactly the same circuit and sound the same. infact, i'd prefer the ts7 because it has those push-down knobs, so its harder to knock them about and change the settings with your feet.

also you only have to change like 3 components to mod a ts9/ts7 to ts808 specs

also, as far as i've read, the bbe one is pretty much a tubescreamer but i think its true bypass?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Diluted

Maxon OD-808

You won't regret it.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
CatfishJew
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluted View Post
Maxon OD-808

You won't regret it.
isn't it the same as the ts808?

try the big muff (american one). i was going to get it, but i went for the metal muff instead. and don't be bothered by the size. it's not that big, and recasing it won't be a problem.

i've tried the ts-7; the "tone-lock" system is a good idea, but i don't know how durable it is.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Diluted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishJew View Post
isn't it the same as the ts808?
Yes,

TS-808 $179.99
OD-808 $134.99

From musicianfriend

I got my OD-808 used for $60

Also, I find the TS-808 and OD-808 to be warmer than the TS-9.
I had a TS-9 and found it to be a little too bright and harsh for my taste.

Last edited by Diluted; 02-02-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
TriggerNYC

i think the BBE Green Screamer is ****ing awesome. i played it once, and i caught a youtube vid a/bing them.

however i can find the green screamer anywhere anymore
Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
mnemonic
Drink Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishJew View Post
i've tried the ts-7; the "tone-lock" system is a good idea, but i don't know how durable it is.
they're pretty durable, made of metal.

i had the fz-7 tone lok fuzz pedal back in the day when i was into crappy tone. also my flatmate has teh ds-7 or whatever its called, the distortion pedal one. actually pretty cool sounding pedal, imo way better than his boss ds1
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Pseudo1
Naming the Elephant

Xotic RC Booster or BB preamp

or

Maxon 808

or

Ibanez TS9
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
mistermikev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
the ts7 and ts9 are exactly the same circuit and sound the same. infact, i'd prefer the ts7 because it has those push-down knobs, so its harder to knock them about and change the settings with your feet.

also you only have to change like 3 components to mod a ts9/ts7 to ts808 specs

also, as far as i've read, the bbe one is pretty much a tubescreamer but i think its true bypass?
true about the component changeout... two resistors and the ic... and you are technically at ts-808 spec... I did this to mine but can't help but think that I liked it better the other way.

personally, I'm not a fan of the tone-lock series... because of the cheap tone lock pots. They feel like shitzen to me. And afa the 'tone lock' how hard is it to get back to 'your sound'... I mean, there's three knobs!

none the less, if you can find a ts-7 or ts-9 used... go for it. Great sounding pedal either way. If you can confirm the green-screamer is true bypass it would be worth it to go that direction... but otherwise I'd stick with the tried and true original tube screamer... or make your own clone!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Bluesman
I Have Otis Rush's Tone

have you looked into the Fulltone OCD?
been using one for a while now and its great
Old 02-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
thedriveinfan
Registered Bruiser

i have a ts808 and to be honest i dont ever see it leaving me, at that i actually want another one
Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
The Transporter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
they're pretty durable, made of metal.

i had the fz-7 tone lok fuzz pedal back in the day when i was into crappy tone. also my flatmate has teh ds-7 or whatever its called, the distortion pedal one. actually pretty cool sounding pedal, imo way better than his boss ds1
they stop working randomly though. at least my aw-7 and the one that my buddy had failed too