Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
prone07
if burritos were square

Help Restoring Project!-VS880 to Firestudio Project

Does anyone know how to transfer a recording project from an old Roland VS-880EX-- (Here are the outputs)

To a new Firestudio project-macbook setup. (combo jacks)

I don't know what kind of digital outputs those are on the VS880EX.

I also have the song backed up on CDRW in it's original state.(pre-stereo mix so the tracks are not yet mixed down)
Could I just put the CD in and transfer it to Cubase LE or Garage Band?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by prone07; 11-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Okay, the outputs available to you are Toslink (ADAT Lightpipe or S/PDIF), S/PDIF Coaxial, and RCA.

You're going to want to use the ADAT Lightpipe for multiple tracks at once (up to 8, most likely).

This will require you play back the saved tracks on the VS880 using the appropriate outputs connected to the inputs on the Firestudio.

Based on that picture, there is no "offline" method. You'll need to do a real-time bounce as if you were recording the live performance.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
prone07
if burritos were square

Thanks for the reply. Is it easy to add volume to the overall mix once I bounce the tracks to the new hardware? On the Roland, I could never come close to getting a "mastered" volume. Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
prone07
if burritos were square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moseph View Post
Okay, the outputs available to you are Toslink (ADAT Lightpipe or S/PDIF), S/PDIF Coaxial, and RCA.

You're going to want to use the ADAT Lightpipe for multiple tracks at once (up to 8, most likely).

This will require you play back the saved tracks on the VS880 using the appropriate outputs connected to the inputs on the Firestudio.

Based on that picture, there is no "offline" method. You'll need to do a real-time bounce as if you were recording the live performance.
Um, here's the bad part...I don't believe the Firestudio Project has ADAT Lightpipe.
What should I do?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone07 View Post
Um, here's the bad part...I don't believe the Firestudio Project has ADAT Lightpipe.
My bad. "Project" was kind of an important word I didn't notice. I also didn't notice that bit about CDRW. If you have all of the individual files of the appropriate type (typically WAV) on that CDRW, then you cand just import them into Cubase and go from there. That's your easiest method.

If the VS880 uses some bizarre proprietary format to record, then you're going to need to do the real-time bounce like I mentioned earlier.

I'd do it with S/PDIF (make sure you have a digital cable, and not just an RCA cable).

Unfortunately, you're going to be limited to a single stereo output with the VS880. What you'll need to do is mute all but 1-2 tracks, let it play out, and record each of them in real-time. Repeat with a fresh track until finished.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
prone07
if burritos were square

Quote:
My bad. "Project" was kind of an important word I didn't notice. I also didn't notice that bit about CDRW. If you have all of the individual files of the appropriate type (typically WAV) on that CDRW, then you cand just import them into Cubase and go from there. That's your easiest method.

If the VS880 uses some bizarre proprietary format to record, then you're going to need to do the real-time bounce like I mentioned earlier.

I'd do it with S/PDIF (make sure you have a digital cable, and not just an RCA cable).

Unfortunately, you're going to be limited to a single stereo output with the VS880. What you'll need to do is mute all but 1-2 tracks, let it play out, and record each of them in real-time. Repeat with a fresh track until finished.
Thanks much! I'll try the CD method first.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
prone07
if burritos were square

Just one more noob question...is it OK to plug the Firestudio Project into my macbook at anytime?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Moseph
search for MGWAFTNAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone07 View Post
Just one more noob question...is it OK to plug the Firestudio Project into my macbook at anytime?
Though hot-swap plugging is a part of the IEEE 1394 specification, most manufacturers prefer it if you make all such connections with all devices off. Then turn on the audio interface, and then the computer.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
prone07
if burritos were square

Quote:
Though hot-swap plugging is a part of the IEEE 1394 specification, most manufacturers prefer it if you make all such connections with all devices off. Then turn on the audio interface, and then the computer.
I usually keep my macbook in "sleep" mode-should I shutdown before connecting the interface? That would be a lot of starting and stopping my computer....
Also, I contacted Roland, and apparently my recorder does back up files to some unique format. I'm going to try midi time clock and the SPDIF output. Thanks for all your help.