Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
badtaste

Last book you read?

Okay, feeding off the popularity of the 'Last movie/film you watched?' thread, I have decided to make a similar thread. I looked through the catalogues and could find no similar thread *cough cough*.

Zee rules/guidelines:

- A title would be handy.
- A summary (if the book isn't well known, give us the low down or juice)
- A review (post your thoughts about the text, don't just give me some numerical score crap)
- Can be fiction or non fiction (no TV guides, dictionaries, or cereal nutrition information boxes).

Okay, me first.

Salem's Lot - Stephen King

I've read around 1/2 to 3/4 quarters of King's collection of writing, but have only gotten around to Salem's Lot recently. Don't know why I avoided it before, but I've read it now and it's good.

I'm sure you're all aware of the book about vampires in present day USA (was written in the 80s methinks, can't remember). I am a semi-fan of the vampire/horror genre, and I believe King did a pretty good job with the hypothetical: "What if vampires moved to rural USA?" It presents for good reading.

I'm not too fussy about the aesthetics of the piece, so I'll just say the plot is pretty solid. It isn't predictable, so you can be assured that there will be surprises along the way.

But yes, an enjoyable read. I didn't enjoy it as much as 'The Stand' or 'It', but still, it was an entertaining read. I almost thought that it could have been extended a bit though.

7/10

Side note: SK fans might be aware of this, but to all others, Father Callahan's pursuits can be followed up in the rear end of the Dark Tower series.

Last edited by badtaste; 03-02-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Serephim01
I'm as pale as my avatar

wheaties cereal box.... I kid. I last read the Immensely popular Left Behind Series by Tim Lehaye and boy was that a good read all 12 books. the first one was kinda boring but that was just to set up the plot following the Rapture....I work in a Christian bookstore so I read them for free. I watched the first 3 movies starring Kirk Cameron as Buck and they were pretty good considering they went straight to video. By the time they complete the DVD series the rapture will already happened lol. The best book out of 12 was probaly Appolyon where the flying scorpion demons come and sting the nonbelievers and they have to make the choice. A very good read be you christian or other. 10/10 even though you dont like the numerical ratings. sorry
Serephim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
badtaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephim01 View Post
wheaties cereal box.... I kid. I last read the Immensely popular Left Behind Series by Tim Lehaye and boy was that a good read all 12 books. the first one was kinda boring but that was just to set up the plot following the Rapture....I work in a Christian bookstore so I read them for free. I watched the first 3 movies starring Kirk Cameron as Buck and they were pretty good considering they went straight to video. By the time they complete the DVD series the rapture will already happened lol. The best book out of 12 was probaly Appolyon where the flying scorpion demons come and sting the nonbelievers and they have to make the choice. A very good read be you christian or other. 10/10 even though you dont like the numerical ratings. sorry
Numerical score is fine with a sexy review. So is this some fantasy series or something?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Serephim01
I'm as pale as my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaste View Post
Numerical score is fine with a sexy review. So is this some fantasy series or something?
Well me being a Christian I believe that this series is a real thing. It is about the book of Revelations in the new testament. If you are atheist or secular you will see it as a fiction/fantasy. The rapture would be in the Christianity thread but that got hijacked by athiests. They want proof but we can only offer our faith. Very good books though, cause even if your secular you will find these books addicting
Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
here comes the bird flu

The Great Gatsby, for school. But i'm in the process of reading Of Mice and Men, and the third book of the Wheel of Time series.
here comes the bird flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
FVG27

The Time Traveller's Wife (second time round)

S'about a guy who has a genetic disease which means his body clock gets messed up and he can time travel. He visits this girl Clare over and over again while time travelleing and it's about their relationship when she's older.

Fantastic book. I've loved it both times. It has a strong plot and the way she handles the idea of time travelling is good. It's a love story really but fantastically written. Gripped from beginning to end.

9/10 (would be 10 but nothing's perfect, eh?)
FVG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Kevinthejedi
Hello Dave...

Kevinthejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
here comes the bird flu

Is that any good?
here comes the bird flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
RouteOne

Quote:
Well me being a Christian I believe that this series is a real thing. It is about the book of Revelations in the new testament. If you are atheist or secular you will see it as a fiction/fantasy. The rapture would be in the Christianity thread but that got hijacked by athiests. They want proof but we can only offer our faith. Very good books though, cause even if your secular you will find these books addicting
Yeah those books can basically be summed up as: "Christians good everyone else damned". The two authors are fundamentals who literally want these events to happen. They said it themselves.

Plus the christianity thread isnt hijacked it's open to all discussion. Post in there sometime. We need more religious people posting so I can argue damn it!
RouteOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Serephim01
I'm as pale as my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ron View Post
Yeah those books can basically be summed up as: "Christians good everyone else damned".

Plus the christianity thread isnt hijacked it's open to all discussion. Post in there sometime. We need more religious people posting so I can argue damn it!
yeah its hard to argue when all you can say is I have faith but I guess thats why I try to stay out of those discussions. I have plenty of faith though but I am not gonna say "I am better than you because you are going to go to hell", those kinds of christians make me sick. They have too many faults to go out and judge people. I'm a very meek individual but you should try reading those books their very good BTW but how about trying SK's It or Pet cemetary. Also very good books.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
RouteOne

Quote:
yeah its hard to argue when all you can say is I have faith but I guess thats why I try to stay out of those discussions. I have plenty of faith though but I am not gonna say "I am better than you because you are going to go to hell", those kinds of christians make me sick. They have too many faults to go out and judge people. I'm a very meek individual but you should try reading those books their very good BTW but how about trying SK's It or Pet cemetary. Also very good books.
No thanks, I'm not interested in reading propaganda.

I don't see how reading about non-believers being killed is enjoyable. It's insulting.

Steven King is pretty good though. Its kind of hit and miss with most of his books.
RouteOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
The Transporter 2
Banned

Title: How to Survive a Robot Uprising
Summary: Tells your how to survive a robot uprising
Review: 10/10
The Transporter 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Kage
Komitet Gosudarstvennoy B

I last read Interzone which is basically a collection of short stories by William S Burroughs. It's great.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
thedeadwalk!
I Will Break

Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity by John Stossel

Goes over a lot of commonly held beliefs and either debunks them or explains why they're not entirely true. Most of it is interesting, and he does provide sources, but during the chapters he largely writes in an opinion-based style. He'll say something is wrong and not give evidence for it, or it'll be anecdotal, or it'll just be a set up for the next myth he busts. Also, the man uses way too many exclamation marks.

Overall, it's enjoyable and an easy read, something you'd find in a bathroom, that you can pick up anywhere and not be left out. But, if you watch his 20/20 stuff you pretty much get it for free on tv, so there's no real need for it unless you just want Stossel in your bathroom. :/

6.5/10
thedeadwalk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
Elliptical Ion
Take me to Pleasure Town

The last book I read was A Scanner Darkly. If you enjoyed the movie even slightly, you will love the book, so well written and so deep.
Elliptical Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
Africa
Banned

Is that a Philip K. Dick book? I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep, and that was bomb.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #17
Bartender
morrissey approved

False Gods, by Graham McNeill

Is the second book, of three (will be starting the third one soon), concerning the events leading up to and during the Horus Heresy, so is science fiction/fantasy. As a trilogy they really have something of an uphill struggle convincing me they're worthwhile, as I've already known the (less detailed) story of the Heresy for a long time now, so even before I've started reading I'm sceptical as to how much of a good thing they're going to be. It's subtitled "the heresy takes root"; whereas the first one (written by someone I've read before - Dan Abnett - all three installments are written by different people, for some reason) mainly introduced the setting, for people unfamiliar with the universe, and the particular non-documented characters (i.e. not Horus, for example) for those who are, here we find Horus and others slowly turning and eventually actively planning rebellion.

It's not bad in itself, really, but I don't know how much I like it, because in a sense I, from my vantage point in the future, already know the ending.. It's kind of like reading a book about the Titanic; I know the ship sinks; I know Horus turns. So sometimes it feels like it's trying to build suspense for the wrong things, though I suppose it would have more of an effect on someone coming to the books in na´vety. To its credit, despite all this, it's still managed to make me care about the little people not mentioned in the general history, wondering what roles they'll all play. And I understand that the point of expounding the story of the Heresy is to highlight things which get lost in the previous 'big picture' overviews.

But ultimately, I know they're all screwed already, and sometimes mystery is better, so I don't know.

Not exactly high culture, but it's what I last read.
Bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #18
VomitStainedCretin
We Must Join With Sauron

Knife of Dreams (Book 11 of the Wheel of Time series): It was ages since Id read the last book but it pulled me back in relatively quickly although it took a while to remember stuff about the minor charactors/sub-plots etc. Much better than Crossroads of Twilight from what I recall (interesting events actually occur and a couple of important situations are resolved). Ill probably have to reread the series before A Memory of Light comes out in 2009.
VomitStainedCretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #19
thedeadwalk!
I Will Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
Is that a Philip K. Dick book?
Yeah.
thedeadwalk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #20
Elliptical Ion
Take me to Pleasure Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
Is that a Philip K. Dick book? I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep, and that was bomb.
Haha, that band is quality too.
Elliptical Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
Genocide_23
is v-gun

iv read rule of the bone. its one of my favorite books but im at school right now so il write about it when i get home.
Genocide_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #22
Trevo
Random Hero

Feed by M.T. Anderson

So the book is in the futur and most people(almost everyone) has a feed implanted in their brain. A feed is basically a computer, you can chat, search things, order things, receive pop-ups, etc...

Titus is a teen who has a feed and meets Violet. Violet is completely against the feed and tries to fight it and in the end, has her feed stop working and she is very ill.

The book is well written and I quite enjoyed it. 8/10
Trevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #23
Incognito
MX Apparition

Diary - Chuck Palahnkiuk

About a women whose husband is in a coma after a botched suicide attempt and the weird events and conspiracy that follows afterward. Written in the form of a diary. Not Chuck's best work, I was disappointed in the read not because it was bad, but well because it's just another Chuck Palahniuk book. It reads the same as any other novel he's written, it just doesn't keep your attention and doesn't intrigue as much as his earlier works because there are less original thoughts in this book.

5.8/10
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
Kaleid
Soupy twist

'The Dice Man' by Luke Rhinehart

A psychiatrist in early 70s New York gets bored of the monotony of his life. He create a new type of therapy called 'diceliving' where every choice he makes is determined by the throw of the dice. The good part is, though, HE controls the options. Example: at a party, he decides to set 6 different roles, and shake the die every 15 minutes to determine which role he plays. 1) A gentle Jesus 2) an honest dice man 3) an uninhibited sex maniac 4) a mute moron 5) a simpering creep 6) a Leftist agitator. He shakes a 4, and staggers in the front door drooling, muttering "Uhn-ughhhh" every so often. The reserved guests are a little unnerved, to say the least. 15 mins later, he gets a 3 and tries to make out with his best friends' girl in the bathroom. After a swift knee in his joy department, he rolls a 1 and proceeds to preach celibacy and love to the room, much to the annoyance of the girl he got 'friendly' with. Throughout the book, he cheats, drools, murders, and fornicates his way to the 'truth' (while going through a number of mental institutions) and eventually opens up dice centres with the help of his followers, where lives are lived out under the die's control and ANYTHING goes. It manages to be funny, touching and disturbing, at the same time: 9.5/10

So...uh...yeah, it's great

Last edited by Kaleid; 03-02-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Kaleid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
bradc1988
Don't call it that

I read Salem's Lot a few weeks ago mainly because I finished The Dark Tower and didn't want it to end .

It was decent, a good read if you like teh vampires.

8/10

Last book I was read was Temple by the relatively unknown Aussie author Matthew Riley. All his books are pretty fast paced and this one is no exception. But like all his books, every thing's too convenient and it gets a little "ohh, yeah right...", but I still enjoyed it quite a lot.

It's about a Professor William Race who is a language guy (forgotten already, he knows Latin, German and a few other languages) who is taken by DARPA in order for him to translate a old manuscript writted by a monk in Peru during the time of the invasion of the Spanish (~1500AD) (I'm not good with history, so be nice). Apparently this manuscript tells of the location of an Incan Idol which DARPA needs to find for certain reasons)

I recommend it for a quick read, it's great fun.

8.5/10
bradc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #26
Kaleid
Soupy twist

Matthew Reilly did 'The Seven Wonders' as well, his books are ridiculous but really good fun
Is Stephen King's Dark Tower series worth reading? I've heard it's meant to be good but I'm daunted by the number of volumes
Kaleid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
Kage
Komitet Gosudarstvennoy B

Yes, The Dark Tower is an amazing series that is definitely worth the time investment.

Also, I think Salem's Lot is one of King's weakest stories by far. Still a good read, though.
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #28
Syncratic
Forget it, you're ****ed

Fahrenheit 451.

Not a bad novel, actually.
Syncratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #29
bradc1988
Don't call it that

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketherevelator View Post
Matthew Reilly did 'The Seven Wonders' as well, his books are ridiculous but really good fun
Is Stephen King's Dark Tower series worth reading? I've heard it's meant to be good but I'm daunted by the number of volumes
Yeah I've read all of Reilly's books except Hovercar Racer (?) and they're all fun quick reads. If you haven't already, read Ice Station and Area 7.

Dark Tower is awesome, it's really worth it. The first one is only about 200 pages so read that, and you'll be wanting more.
bradc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #30
The Jungler

I just finished The Ruins by Scott Smith. Usually I don't read horror books, but my dad recommended it.

Really good book, better than I thought based on the plot. It bassically follows two couples on spring break who, while looking for their new friend's lost brother, enter an archaeological site and encounter some strange stuff there.

8.5/10 Looking forward to the movie adaptation.

Last edited by The Jungler; 03-02-2007 at 07:12 PM.
The Jungler is offline   Reply With Quote