Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
SUBassist

Beginner Upright

I am looking at getting myself an upright bass, something on the cheap side to just learn on, and was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions? I am not looking for an electric upright (warwick, etc.) but an actual acoustic double bass.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Jimbobntnr
Addicted to Doug

where are you?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
funkyhoney
Medicated For Your Safety

something cheap, when they're cheap they're all the same; shit.

truth unfortunately, cheap uprights are all basically the same and the same jsut happens to be plywood crap.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Jimbobntnr
Addicted to Doug

mine was cheap. and is a plywood.

fag.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Son of Magni
Builder thorbass.com

Student grade basses are way better now then they were 10+ years ago. Look for one with a carved top. Should be able to get something very playable with halfway decent tone for well under $1000. Cremona for instance.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Spazzout22
spazz? oh right it's me..

Really Under 1000 for a carved top?! Where do you live? In Seattle you can't get a carved top for under 3000.

But yeah, carved top would be ideal. If not, Englehardt makes some good basses for around 1000. That's what I played on for a good 4 years.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
SUBassist

I'm in the UK and have seen a reasonably priced Stentor Student 1/2 size. It can be seen here: http://www.stentor-music.com/stentor%20violins.html

Any good?
Old 04-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
TheClap
Lafaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Magni View Post
Student grade basses are way better now then they were 10+ years ago. Look for one with a carved top. Should be able to get something very playable with halfway decent tone for well under $1000. Cremona for instance.
Too bad the Hybrids you are talking about typically sound worse than most plywoods.

Whoever said all cheap basses are the same was wrong.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Spazzout22
spazz? oh right it's me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClap View Post
Too bad the Hybrids you are talking about typically sound worse than most plywoods.

Whoever said all cheap basses are the same was wrong.
hmmm... If you could back that statement up, I guess I may be inclined to listen to you. But you have actually played a bunch of hybrid basses, then played a whole bunch of plywood basses, you'd know that the tone is a million times better. And by better I mean: Has better overtone definition, more clarity in articulated notes, and greater sustain.

Most of those things you just can't get in a cheap plywood bass. Even in the top end plywood basses, you just can't get what a hybrid gets. Now, that being said, there are exceptions. A really low end hybrid just won't compare to a high end plywood. However, if you get a high end hybrid, it'll blow a low end plywood bass out of the water. Finally, if you put a high end hybrid next to a high end plywood, you can hear the tone difference, but it may be a lot more subtle that you might think.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
TheClap
Lafaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzout22 View Post
hmmm... If you could back that statement up, I guess I may be inclined to listen to you. But you have actually played a bunch of hybrid basses, then played a whole bunch of plywood basses, you'd know that the tone is a million times better. And by better I mean: Has better overtone definition, more clarity in articulated notes, and greater sustain.

Most of those things you just can't get in a cheap plywood bass. Even in the top end plywood basses, you just can't get what a hybrid gets. Now, that being said, there are exceptions. A really low end hybrid just won't compare to a high end plywood. However, if you get a high end hybrid, it'll blow a low end plywood bass out of the water. Finally, if you put a high end hybrid next to a high end plywood, you can hear the tone difference, but it may be a lot more subtle that you might think.
I own a hybrid bass, a high end one in fact. It sounds a hell of alot better than any plywood bass Ive ever, ever played. Its a Kohr 3/4 btw. I was talking about that specific basses he was talking about (cheap hybrids) generally sound worse than plywoods. There are some really nice chinese plywoods out there that you just have to look for.